Schedule of upcoming Cadillac releases | 2018-2021
Timeline specific of the first 5 models, out of a total of 9
GMSilverado/GM Inside News
March 17, 2017
Cadillac is preparing for a new and decisive stage in its expansion plan. The brand is about to start with the biggest product offensive in its contemporary history, in its effort to return to be relevant to the customers of the luxury car market.
The current product plan contemplates the introduction of 11 new models to the market over a 5-year period, which began last year with the arrival to the sales rooms of the prestige sedan CT6 and the XT5 sport utility vehicle. After a break of more than a year, Cadillac will resume the plan in the middle of next year when it is expected that the new compact crossover XT4 will hit stores.
The XT4 is the first product approved by the current leadership in 2014 and will be the first to arrive from the 9 remaining models of the mentioned plan, which must appear in a maximum period of 3 years or 36 months (mid-2018 - mid-2021) to meet the announced 5 year term. Undoubtedly, a busy schedule of work. Last week the brand gave a pretty clear idea in Geneva, where it announced that "Starting with the launch of XT4, a new Cadillac will be brought to market every six months, a total of five carlines in the space of two years".
A new Cadillac every six months, 5 in two years
Cadillac officially announced that 5 of the next 9 models will hit the market within just 2 years; that is, it will take 24 of the 36 months mentioned as time limit. Always referring to the dates of arrival to the dealers, but not of presentation or debut in society, that range of 2 years corresponds to the period between mid-2018 and mid-2020. Here the calendar and a preview of what that you can expect from those 5 new models:
- Summer 2018: XT4 - Compact Crossover. Based on a specific variant of the E2 platform, destined to the D segment. The brand revealed that it will have "an entirely new series of efficient and powerful engines", and in view of the platform used and the target segment will surely offer some V6 engine option. Its arrival as a formal offer of the brand for the compact utilities segment will likely imply an increase in the starting price of the XT5, rising to nearly $ 43,000. Product code: E2UL.
Technical Features Model Platform Dimensions Competition Start price XT4 E2U ~ WB: 111.4 in | L: 183 in Audi Q5, BMW X3, MB GLC ~ $ 36,800
- Winter 2018: CT3 | CT3-V (*) - Small Sedan. Based on a short version of the A2 platform, destined for the C segment or Lux 2. A kind of global replacement for the current ATS sedan (not sold in China), with a similar starting price but slightly lower exterior dimensions and smaller engines. Its arrival is expected to coincide with the end of the production cycle of the ATS sedan, after 6 years/models: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. Product code: A2SL.
Technical Features Model Platform Dimensions Competition Start price CT3 | CT3-V A2S ~ WB: 108 in | L: 180 in Audi A3, MB CLA ~ $ 32,500
- Summer 2019: XT6 (*) - Medium Crossover 3 rows of seats. Based on a specific variant of C1 platform, destined to the E segment. With a base closely linked to the XT5, it must incorporate new options of motorization with greater power and refinement to position properly as the comfortable and spacious alternative to the established European competition. Product code: C172X (?).
Technical Features Model Platform Dimensions Competition Start price XT6 C1U+ ~ WB: 116 in | L: 195 in Audi Q7, BMW X5, MB GLE ~ $ 50,000
- Winter 2019: CT4 (*) - Compact Sedan. Based on the long version of the A2 platform, destined for segment D or Lux 3. A unique and global substitute for ATS, ATS-L and CTS models with external dimensions and positioning similar to the second generation of the CTS. Their arrival will coincide with the end of the production cycle of the CTS and ATS-L models, after 6 years/models: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. Product code: A2LL.
Technical Features Model Platform Dimensions Competition Start price CT4 A2L ~ WB: 113.6 in | L: 190 in Audi A4, BMW 3, MB C ~ $ 39,000
- Summer 2020: XT2 (*) - Small Crossover. Based on GM's next VSS-F modular platform for front-wheel drive vehicles, in its B-segment version (VSS-F.B). Product code: 9BUL.
Technical Features Model Platform Dimensions Competition Start price XT2 VSS-F ~ WB: 102.4 in | L: 168 in Audi Q2, MINI Countryman ~ $ 29,800
The 4 remaining models
By mid-2020, 7 of the 11 models of the first major expansion planned by Cadillac will be in the dealerships. To finish the plan in the term announced remain: 4 new vehicles and 12 months. It is unknown what will be the exact pace of the releases for this point.
If the brand keeps pace with the introduction of a new model every six months, between the end of 2020 and the mid-2021 there is only room for 2 of the 4 models that are missing. So Cadillac will have two options to meet the goal: reduce the interval of months between the arrival of each model or introduce products simultaneously.
Regardless of how it turns out to be, these are the 4 remaining models to complete the plan:
- Second half of 2020: CT5 | CT5-V (*) - Medium Coupe/Convertible. Based on the A2 platform, for the Performance Coupe segment. A symbolic substitution for ATS and CTS Coupe, but with greater relevance and international potential. Unlike its predecessors, it will be a differentiated model of the sedan offer and will include a convertible variant.
Technical Features Model Platform Dimensions Competition Start price CT5 | CT5-V A2B/A ~ WB: 112 in | L: 185 in Audi A5, BMW 4, MB C C ~ $ 41,800
- Late 2020: Escalade - Large SUV. Fifth generation, based on the new VSS-T modular platform exclusively for trucks. Being the first Escalade developed under a directive with correct vision on the luxury car business, the next generation promises to go towards greater differentiation with respect to its corporate relatives. In addition to a higher level of overall refinement, we could expect a 100% unique exterior design and more advanced engines.
Technical Features Model Platform Dimensions Competition Start price Escalade VSS-T Usual size Range Rover, Lexus LX ~ $ 80,800
- First half of 2021: CT8 - Large Liftback. Based on the O2 platform, for the F segment or Lux 5. The Liftback body will allow you to offer a more expressive design and greater practicality, besides a differentiating aspect compared to the references of the segment. The Escala Concept was the designers first essay and an important statement of intent, but it does not mean an exact advance of the CT8 that is now in the early stages of its gestation process.
Technical Features Model Platform Dimensions Competition Start price CT8 O2 ~ WB: 124 in | L: 206.5 in Audi A8, BMW 7, MB S ~ $ 77,800
- First half of 2021: XT8 (*) - Large Crossover. Based on the O2 platform, for the F-CUV segment. It is being developed in conjunction with the CT8, because both will share many elements. It will have the role of top-of-the-range crossover and Cadillac's global representative in a segment that represents a great opportunity for the brand because, unlike the F-Car segment, it does not yet have any established leaders.
Technical Features Model Platform Dimensions Competition Start price XT8 O2 ~ WB: 122 in | L: 202.5 in BMW X7, MB GLS ~ $ 71,900
* Unofficial nameplate, to be confirmed.
Timeline of upcoming Cadillac releases 2018 2019 2020 2021 XT4 XT6 XT2 CT8 CT3 | CT3-V CT4 CT5 | CT5-V XT8 Escalade