GM Inside News Forum banner

November 2016 Sales - GM +10.2%

17K views 141 replies 38 participants last post by  377Z 
#1 ·
Big November Gains at Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac Keep GM the Fastest Growing Automaker

2016-12-01

DETROIT — General Motors (NYSE: GM) sold 197,609 vehicles in November to individual or “retail” customers in the U.S., up 8 percent from last year. Based on initial estimates, GM once again outperformed all full-line manufacturers, led by strong retail sales gains at Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac. GM’s November retail sales performance drove GM’s U.S. retail share to its highest November level since 2009.

Based on initial estimates, GM’s retail market share jumped 0.3 percentage points in November to 16.8 percent. GM has gained retail market share in 17 of the past 20 months.

GM’s four U.S. brands posted strong retail sales results in November compared to last year.

Chevrolet — up 5 percent for its best November since 2004
Buick — up 22 percent for its best November since 2003
GMC — up 9 percent for its best November since 2001
Cadillac — up 17 percent for its best November since 2013

See less See more
#3 ·
Tahoe is partying like it's 1997!

#5 ·
Few things...

-I know certain people in here will continue to say the Volt is a total failure (sales wise) but the car is up 58% in a market that isn't buying cars...That is impressive no matter how you slice it.

-GM BOF SUV's continue to rock and roll...Like someone said earlier, those Tahoe sales are making me check my calendar to make sure this isn't 2002.

- Acadia seems to be selling like hotcakes...Anyone still worried?

-Colorado and Canyon continue to surge

- 5,300 XT5 :clap:

-CT6 continues to impress

-Both Silverado and Sierra up for the month

even with an increase in fleet for the month this is an impressive result...Those BOF sales are insane. much cash.

#16 ·
-I know certain people in here will continue to say the Volt is a total failure (sales wise) but the car is up 58% in a market that isn't buying cars...That is impressive no matter how you slice it.
I think the Volt is doing fine. It's a niche product, in a segment they need to stay in and continually improve and grow it. Plus it politically gives them license to build all those PU's & SUV's.

-GM BOF SUV's continue to rock and roll...Like someone said earlier, those Tahoe sales are making me check my calendar to make sure this isn't 2002.
And somebody on GMI a few years back was trying to tell me SUV's were dead......

- Acadia seems to be selling like hotcakes...Anyone still worried?
I am, isn't that both models combined with clearance prices on the last Gen ones?

Those BOF sales are insane. much cash.
The most profitable product line at GM. Cash is King.

And I know it's the red headed step child, but the XTS is out selling the CTS y-y. I didn't think that would happen especially since the XTS has gotten about $0 for any advertising of any kind.
It's a problem when you're rebadged Impala is outselling your other models on expensive platforms.

The $100 printing press is running balls out at Arlington, Texas.
It's like the good old days. Even with gas cheap, I expected them to taper off some. Are they discounting now?

Reactions: Ed753
#7 ·
I'm assuming they're lumping the City Express in with the Express, that would be an interesting break-out to see.

#12 ·
They just started doing that in September; embarrassed? :unsure:

November of 2015 SRX sold 5,087 units

November of 2016 XT5 sold 5,364 units

considering the XT5 is more expensive and brings in higher ATP's that is pretty impressive its been able to stay on track and in some cases sell more than the SRX.

I believe that is what you term a home run.
The XT5 has been solid, and holding a co-worker just turned in her SRX and leased a XT5, I guess that was GM's plan though, right?

Chevrolet was 26% fleet sales in November, based on past months, that breaks down to about 10% Commercial/Government; leaving ~16% rental...........

Ford was 22% fleet sales, based on past months, of about 16% Commercial/Government that leaves ~6% rental................

10% means an extra ~25,000 units into rental; I kinda chuckled the other day when I drove past the Enterprise Store by my house and saw a row of new Cruze's; once again a leading indicator?

#49 ·
I would imagine that Costco would show up as "program" sales, similar to X-plan or whatever GM calls it. Thus it would be retail.

I wouldn't think it would be fleet, as they are single car purchases by individuals................. as Costco is not purchasing the vehicles.

Of course, I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. :) I am sure that there are others here who know more about that.

#84 · (Edited)
Thank you Charlie. If some folks spent as much time discussing the actual subject at hand, instead of being determined to insult people.............. maybe we would talk about cars more.

Just a though. Of course, I am a GMI deplorable, so what do I know. :D

This brings up an interesting subject. At what point did, "I am right and you are wrong and you are always wrong and I am always right and if you disagree with me I will be forced to call you names since I am always right" become everyday life. This intollerence to anyone who thinks slightly different than me, is puzzling at best. It makes conversation impossible. There can be no discussion when one side tries to put forth a well thought out point, and the other side is only saying "you are wrong and because of that, you suck............. and I will call you names." And it isn't just in these forums. This is a nation wide problem of epic proportions. If you support the police you hate blacks, muslims, hispanics, etc. What?? When did everything become black and white. As a "white" female, I would like to know when................ just due to the color of my skin............. that I am an elitist racist. Excuse me?? I wouldn't be surprised if someone on this forum called me an GM racist. Slap a label on it and be done. How very shallow and lazy. /rant.

#87 ·
As far as Wescoent goes, if you are going to make claims like he made without the will/ability/intention to prove that he is who he says he is then don't bother or don't complain if people do not believe you. So when I see someone saying something and claiming that they know because they have information but can't not back up that they really have information or that this information is legit I will take it with a grain of salt.

I completely agree that conversations can go off topic, however I also feel as though that some people like to pull things out of their asses and they get away with it because no one wants to call them out on it when it doesn't make sense. This is an internet forum with really rules that apply to conduct (actually I sometimes wonder if they exist or if they are enforced) however when it comes to conversation no rules at all. I can make a post making a bunch of stuff up and get away with it, no one is really going to fact check any of it. So if you are going to internet forums and expecting a higher level of discussion then you are doing it wrong.

I am lets be honest here, on a GM fan site even in a thread where GM sales were up by over 10% (granted it looks like there was some fleet dumping thought retail sales were still up 8%) it becomes dominated by negative post about GM. Clearly you can see that there is something wrong with this picture......

I know that some have taken shots at Ford, but I remember a while ago someone saying GM is toast and from here on Ford is going to blow GM away while GMs profits will sink..... and look at what happened. this is why I don't listen to that group of people because they allow their fanboyism to get in the way of being objective. I can't stand people who can't be objective about things, maybe it is a flaw that I have but I have it. Sometimes I read what some people have posted on here and I want to tell them to go **** themselves because it is that stupid.

#88 · (Edited)
As far as Wescoent goes, if you are going to make claims like he made without the will/ability/intention to prove that he is who he says he is then don't bother or don't complain if people do not believe you. So when I see someone saying something and claiming that they know because they have information but can't not back up that they really have information or that this information is legit I will take it with a grain of salt.
I think you need to consider something. People who drop interesting tidbits have sources. Confidential sources. If they say my info is good because I got it directly from Bob Blow, Head of XYZ at GM and here's a document with his signature, all you are doing is getting Bob Blow in alot of hot water and cutting yourself off from any future conversations. Get it?

When someone drops something juicy which is not in the normal press, and someone else says provide a source or it's BS - well that is so stooooooooooooopid. You believe them or you don't. Or you take that tidbit and match it with others until you've connected the dots for yourself. No one is ever going to name a source for you on a forum like this.

#96 ·
I remember reading (with all of the complaining) on what this deal was all about, high belt line design has come and gone in the past. What has driven this comes down to a "sporty" proportion where the green house, on a sports car which is low already that ratio doesn't overly raise the belt line of the car. However when you are working with taller vehicles then suddenly you do get some tall belt lines. Full disclosure I like the sporty look of it..... . All design trends come and go this is something that is normal and it looks like at least for Buick with the current Lecrosse Buick may be going in a different direction as the Buick LaCrosse doesn't look like it has as tall of a belt line as the older car.

I have driven the 5th generation Camaro and I currently drive a Ford E250 (CNG) so I know what low visibility really means. The Camaro isn't "dangerous" as some think though it is out of the comfort area for some people and I can understand it. A lot and I mean a lot of old cars had high belt lines I believe through out the 1930s and 1940s. Also people chop tops on cars as well to get a similar affect.......

honestly in this market condition if the Mustang and Camaro really want to move cars then they need to turn into CUVs instead of sporty coupes.

#102 ·
Initial Canadian Numbers.

By Allison Lampert

MONTREAL, Dec 1 (Reuters) - General Motors Co and Ford Motor Co on Thursday reported double-digit rises in Canadian sales for November compared with the same period a year earlier, fueled by strong demand for SUVs and light trucks and two extra selling days.

However, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles reported a decline in Canadian sales, down 3 percent to 20,674 vehicles last month, compared with November 2015.

Analysts said November overall delivered a rebound in industry volumes, following a trend of weakening demand over the last three months. The month keeps Canada on track to set another record this year, with sales rising to around 1.96 million vehicles from a record-breaking 1.90 million units in 2015.

In a note to clients, Canadian autos analyst Dennis DesRosiers said auto sales hit double-digit growth during November and were up 3 percent year-to-date.

"For those claiming that 2016 had run out of steam, November 2016 light vehicle sales showed a different picture altogether as sales increased 10.4 percent year-over-year," DesRosiers wrote on Thursday.

Scotiabank economist Carlos Gomes wrote in a note that the rebound was driven by a surge in light truck volumes, especially large SUVs and mid-size pickup trucks.

Despite November's rebound, Gomes said he expects "Canadian passenger vehicle sales to begin to edge lower in 2017, as manufacturers raise prices due to the recent weakness of the Canadian dollar."

GM dealers delivered 28,523 vehicles in November, up 31 percent compared with November 2015, the company said in a statement. GM Canada sales are up 2 percent year-to-date.

Ford said it sold 24,472 vehicles in November, up 18 percent compared with the same month a year earlier. Ford reported a 10 percent rise in Canadian auto sales for the first 11 months of 2016, on an annual basis.

Toyota reported 16,492 units sold in Canada last month, up 4.2 percent compared with November 2015.

In the United States, hefty consumer discounts during a robust Black Friday weekend helped boost November U.S. auto sales between 4 and 5 percent, which could catapult results this year above a record high in 2015, economists and industry analysts said on Thursday.

(Reporting by Allison Lampert; Editing by James Dalgleish and Leslie Adler)http://finance.yahoo.com/news/gm-ford-canadian-auto-sales-022144268.html
GM faired well for Nov, still up for the YoY but only 2%. That 20% off MSRP brought a few buyers into our doors. But I still believe that Inventory levels of 2016's at Ford will hit Truck Sales out of the park for the year.

Just what I see people, not trying to be a Fan Bouy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.