Why The 2015 Ford F-150 Concept Is More Important Than The Corvette [Jalopnik]

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why The 2015 Ford F-150 Concept Is More Important Than The Corvette [Jalopnik]

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala LTZ "Nancy"

Why The 2015 Ford F-150 Concept Is More Important Than The Corvette [Jalopnik]

Forget the new Corvette Stingray. Forget the holograms or Tesla's sweet gull-winged Model X. Forget the Chinese cars in the lobby, the BMW 4-Series concept, or any of the fancy electric or hybrid cars on display throughout the Cobo Center.

The Ford Atlas concept was far and away the most important vehicle at the Detroit Auto Show. Here's why.

It may not get as much media attention as an exciting, well-built (finally) performance car like the Corvette, but because the Atlas is more than likely the next F-150, it is a really big deal. And it is hugely important to the global auto industry and millions of people everywhere.

In the U.S. last year alone, Ford sold some 645,000 new F-Series trucks, making it the best-selling vehicle of any kind in America, a record they've held for more than 30 years. USA Today notes that the F-Series trucks "account for most of Ford's worldwide profits."
    Read more: http://jalopnik.com/5976392/why-the-...n-the-corvette
    www.basilonestopshop.com
    Basil One-Stop Shop BBM Channel: C00120B93
    Basil One-Stop Shop BBM Customer Service Chat Available

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Re: Why The 2015 Ford F-150 Concept Is More Important Than The Corvette [Jalopnik]

As with all concepts, we'll see how much of it makes it to production. The two most glaring details, albeit loose details, are the claim of a 700lb. weight reduction and "improved Ecoboost." Does this mean HP, fuel economy, both?
    Last edited by GHull3; 01-17-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Dodge Durango

Re: Why The 2015 Ford F-150 Concept Is More Important Than The Corvette [Jalopnik]

THANK YOU!! I don't understand for the life of me why we got the Silverado/GMC debut on some random date in history with little-to -no fanfare. Nobody even clapped when they came out. It was almost like it was put together last minute, and none of the big brass spoke. The Corvette gets a NAIAS launch, and 3 different execs came to the stage. I understand the vette is a big piece of GM, but they've got to make much more money off the trucks compared to the Corvette.

Ford understands how important these things are to the survival of their company. Like it or not, they're showing their truck "concept" off at the biggest show of the year. I would have unveiled both at the show- the vette on the first day, and the trucks on the last day of media only.
    Get used to more.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Terrain Denali, White

More important in terms of profit and volume but the blatent "gottcha" move by Ford to stick the Atlas concept in the show to counter the GM twins is a fail. Interesting... but so what? Until we know what Ford is REALLY going to do with the F150 it is just talk, no walk. In the meantime, GM has real product, thoroughly tested and all but ready for prime time.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS

Who wrote this, Captain Obvious?

Thanks

And people thought the Silverado update was only evolutionary.

CJH
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Audi A6 4.2, Durango LTD 5.7L

Quote Originally Posted by goatgary View Post
    More important in terms of profit and volume but the blatent "gottcha" move by Ford to stick the Atlas concept in the show to counter the GM twins is a fail. Interesting... but so what? Until we know what Ford is REALLY going to do with the F150 it is just talk, no walk. In the meantime, GM has real product, thoroughly tested and all but ready for prime time.
    Good for Ford, that's what they should do. GM need to get their marketing dept in shape. Their trucks should have been unveiled at the show with some hoopla and the bigwigs talking it up!

Hard to say anything is "just talk" with the F150 when they are selling as well as they are, especially considering they are at the end of their life cycle.
    Past Rides:
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71

Duh?
    CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Thanks
    My Ride
    CTA trains and buses

To goatgary's point, the new Silverado and Sierra pickup trucks were exhibited at NAIAS as actual production vehicles, which IMO makes them more "important" than Ford's Atlas Concept.
    My modes of transportation: CTA 'L' & buses, Metra, Pace bus, rental cars (usually GM), taxicabs, bicycling, and walking.
    Member of the "I will never purchase a new car" club.
    Get the facts about ethanol and biofuels in the USA!

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I predict that GM twins will outsell or atleast catch up the Ford F series in due time.

Reuss did specifically remark while commenting on the new trucks that they have not yet tipped ther hand on efficiency of these truck.
    He would not be saying that if he was not confident that GM has a significant trick up its sleeve. Also at other time he has indicated that they will be updating their truck portfolio much more frequently than in the past. So I bet that whatever advantage new 2015 F series will have in power train efficiency will be short lived.

I will not be surprised if GM springs a much improved two-mode hybrid powertrain in the next couple of years. I think that is their ace for which Ford has no answer.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 KingElvis's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '10 DODGE RAM ST RC HEMI 4.10

Quote Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
    THANK YOU!! I don't understand for the life of me why we got the Silverado/GMC debut on some random date in history with little-to -no fanfare. Nobody even clapped when they came out. It was almost like it was put together last minute, and none of the big brass spoke. The Corvette gets a NAIAS launch, and 3 different execs came to the stage. I understand the vette is a big piece of GM, but they've got to make much more money off the trucks compared to the Corvette.

Ford understands how important these things are to the survival of their company. Like it or not, they're showing their truck "concept" off at the biggest show of the year. I would have unveiled both at the show- the vette on the first day, and the trucks on the last day of media only.
    Thought the Silvy is at the Detroit show, it's just sitting behind a glass barrier. I'm betting that it will be at the Chicago Auto Show - traditionally a truck-centric show - that you'll get all the whys and wherefores on the Silvy. So the NAIAS in Detroit is actually not really getting us any more info than we had Dec 14th

From pickuptricks.com "Jeff Luke is sitting pretty right now, finished with all the heavy lifting regarding the 2014 Chevy and GMC half-ton trucks. We tried to get the horsepower and torque numbers out of him but he was quite clear about not being ready to make those announcments yet. We also reminded him that fuel economy numbers still have to be released and he told us that those numbers are likely to pretty important to them so seeing a big deal made of it could make sense, and maybe even another press conference at a future auto show."

And not to pick nits with the great and mighty Jalop, but a real Corvette is less important than a 'concept' pickup? Concepts are a dime a dozen and this one is singularly boring at that.
    Check out my automotive blog http://elvisceralappeal.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by sfdenny View Post
    Who wrote this, Captain Obvious?
    I agree, this article gets filed under "blatantly obvious". Wow, a vehicle that sells over a half a million units a year vs and extremely low volume sports car. Wow - hard hitting reporting there.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Ford Explorer/2002/Green

Unfortunately, I do not think a concept vehicle is more important than a production vehicle.
    I didn't go to math school, so I'm not going to do the math.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Is This Even News?

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

That's Ford's latest gimmick, introduce something new just to steal GM's thunder. They did it with the 650 h.p. Mustang when the ZL1 came out and when GM announced the debut of the new trucks, Ford announced the the newF-150 concept. I hope this bites them in the arse like the ZL1 stomping all over the outdated Mustang.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information