GM Inside News Forum banner

Survey: Lincoln owners most satisfied with their cars

8K views 139 replies 22 participants last post by  jpd80 
#1 ·
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...urvey-lincoln-owners-satisfied-cars/89131262/

Washington — Consumer satisfaction with cars is on the rise, and customers are most satisfied with Ford Motor Co.’s Lincoln brand, according to a survey by the Ann Arbor-based American Customer Satisfaction Index.

Lincoln led the pack with a score of 87 out of 100, which was 5 percent higher than its 2015 approval rating. Honda ranked second with an 8 percent gain to 86, while Toyota and BMW each rose 4 percent, putting them in a tie for third place at 85.

Among the three Michigan-based auto companies, Ford Motor Co. outpaced its domestic competition by receiving a satisfaction score of 84. General Motors Co. received a satisfaction score of 81 and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles received a 78.

Volkswagen, which has been mired in a scandal over its emissions cheating, declined in its satisfaction rating from 80 to 78.

David VanAmburg, ACSI director, said the numbers show Volkswagen may be facing a long road to recovery in the eyes of consumers from its admission that it rigged hundreds of thousands of cars to cheat U.S. emission standards.

“The combination of fines and fallen stock price are a big hit to Volkswagen’s finances, but it may prove even harder to recover from the reputational hit the company will take for deceiving customers and the general public,” VanAmburg said. “Many customers or would-be customers could be turned-off of VW for life and it’s hard to put a value on that.”

Seventy-thousand customers were interviewed about 24 auto brands for the consumer satisfaction survey. Sixteen of the brands showed increases in consumer approval, while five declined — including luxury brands Cadillac, Mercedes-Benz and Acura.

Claes Fornell, ACSI chairman and founder, said the figures show the gap in consumer perception may be closing between mass-market and luxury brands.

“The rise of mass-market vehicles may well be at the expense of luxury brands in the sense that buyers now see little differentiation between luxury cars and regular ones,” Fornell said. “If there is little difference, why pay more? Exclusivity may not be enough.”

VanAmburg said the satisfaction figures show Detroit automakers are catching up to competitors from other countries. Detroit carmakers had an average approval score of 81 percent, compared to cars that were made by Japanese and Korean manufacturers, which received satisfaction scores of 82.

See less See more
#4 ·
The Aztek, actually drove Really Nice in it's day. So does the Flex. They are both just so out in left field in Styling.

So what does this say? People who want Different, Like different, or people want a really nice driving vehicle regardless of appearance?

#26 ·
It's Buick that needs to raise its aspirations, at least in the USA. With a score of 79 (tied with Cadillac) on the 2016 ACSI, it trailed Lincoln by eight index points and its GM stablemates GMC and Chevrolet by five and four points, respectively.

#30 ·
Four words:

Lincoln Pledge

and

Black Label

Granted, you pay for the Black Label experience, but both are way ahead of what GM offers for the Caddy brand, which other than more warranty, is nothing more than they offer Chevy customers.

#46 ·
Dp ejsy rcsvy;u od dp[jodyovsyopmz

Reactions: 2b2
#59 ·
Lincoln really screwed the pooch with that new grille. From a noticeable, remarkable, handsome car they went to an FBI undercover car almost as if they knew what they were doing.

Reactions: The Voice of Doom
#66 ·
The truth is Caddy sales are going somewhere. Lincoln sales are gaining. Period. The two may have a common thread or not. Does it really matter?

Lincoln's gain could be not more than the lose of Mercury. But then, Where has Pontiac, Saab, even Olds buyers gone?

Personally, I feel that Caddy's new look is either a Love it or Hate it look. Much like (but not as extreme) as the Flex, Juke, Soul. But Caddy has seemed to put all of it's fruit in one basket. With the lost of the SRX and Escalade in the unknowns. Caddy's future is looking bleak.

#71 ·
Maybe what Cadillac needs to do is move up ... accept the lower volumes and sell Jaguar level luxury and volumes and ATP. Given that the US and Chinese customers want tarted up FWD cars, and spoiled dealership experience, move Buick upmarket to compete with Volvo and Lincoln and Lexus ... and take Caddy and it's great cars and turn them into Jags, Astons, and Bentleys ...

Or something completely different -- I am not a marketer or a business analyst ... I am just an armchair quarterback.

#74 ·
this is not a value judgment .. this is a "Wake up GM fans, and begin the chorus that Caddy needs a change of course" ...
I have never been Against GM, and it's offerings, somewhat. It is the fact that, like here they seem to get stuck on "Our Product is the Best, Why isn't anyone buying them?" Or "You Will like what we build period."

Even today someone is here complaining about Files off of a USB device. To be told "That's how they work, live with it or You change." When another Brand is mentioned that doesn't have this problem, it is "The other Brand is WRONG."

Listen GM! Please. Fan Buoys will be Fan Boys. But ignoring the Voice of your Customers will lead once again to Bankruptcy.

#79 · (Edited)
http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=c...6B2E03A51132AA&v_t=wscreen-smallbusiness-w-ac

http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=c...6B2E03A51132AA&v_t=wscreen-smallbusiness-w-ac

"Lincoln should be half as fortunate" LOL

SEDANS

SUVS

This is from June ... have not seen an updated graph yet (and am too lazy to make my own)

SOURCE: http://www.fordinsidenews.com/forum...434-market-share-trend-charts.html#post207338
Wow, Caddy's Banzaii!! SUV effort is really paying off...uhh, oh never mind.:fall::frankie:

#75 ·
Trust me peeples, this award for Lincoln is NOT impressing those who know how things get done. Ask the guy who used to work for them:

"In the time left for the automobile as we know it, it won’t be possible to make Lincoln a truly aspirational brand... Will Lincoln ever again inspire an image of superiority, where your friends say you bought a cool car just because they admire the brand? Probably not."

"When I was at Ford of Europe and Opel, they were always gunning for best in class. Meanwhile, the mother ship in America’s motto was, 'We don’t have to do good cars, just good enough.'"

"Ford [was a] very tight, finance-driven culture with everything quantified. Plus, there were elected execs and the Ford family, all meddling, yet we still had to serve the shareholders."

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/bob-lutz-what-id-do-differently-interview

#76 ·
Cadillac has the Escalade. Cadillac has a new large sedan with world-class engineering that sells roughly at a 10,000 unit annually pace while making inroads in a new segment, while picking up the sales slack of the previous, FWD sedan it also has to replace. The smaller sedans are selling 150,000 units globally per year.

Lincoln should be half as fortunate. But they are not.

#91 ·
They don't rate for the defined purpose of the survey, but the non-buyer (at least the ones with the $$ to buy one) does matter. How does Lincoln translate their positive numbers into attracting non-buyer critics into their showroom? Same for Cadillac, Acura, Mercedes, etc...

#101 ·
You mean when I get old I'm all of a sudden going to want a fwd land barge luxury car? There isn't much of a market for large, soft cars anymore. Cadillac and Lincoln failed to change with the times. Cadillac is changing to what people want, they just need to attract the people, and sadly they are getting in at the tail end of the "day of the car" and the market shifting to CUV's.

I don't see this new Continental selling any better than the XTS. And right there - the XTS is aimed at the traditional "Cadillac" buyer. It isn't lighting up the charts either, and probably half its sales are livery.

#103 ·
No, Cadillac is changing to what Cadillac thinks people want.

There is a very distinct difference.

I don't know that anyone is saying that Continental will sell in huge numbers................... after all, it is a large car in a declining segment. They are just trying a different route to relevance. Those who love Cadillac, think Lincoln is stupid............... and those who don't like Cadillac's direction think Lincolns idea is smart. I have an idea that reality lies somewhere in the middle.

That said, telling loyal Cadillac customers who loved their CTS's to go away, that Buick is now what they want..................... DOES NOT WORK. If you want a Cadillac, you want a Cadillac. This forcing people to a different division that you deem they should have has always been a failure, and something GM still does not get. They don't get that when you tell them "you need to buy a Buick instead, you are also telling them, "and you can now look at all other automakers also." The retained customer percentage is very small. No customer wants to be told they don't count.

#105 ·
Although similar to a range of mid-sized sedans from other GM divisions, including the Buick Century, Buick Regal, Chevrolet Impala, Chevrolet Monte Carlo and the Pontiac Grand Prix, the Intrigue sported a decidedly more "Euro" look and feel as part of its import-fighter position.
The Aurora-inspired Intrigue was designed to compete more with Japanese automobiles, and replaced the aging Cutlass Supreme.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Intrigue

The introduction of the Aurora marked as General Motors' catalyst to reposition Oldsmobile as an upscale import fighter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile

"Not Your Father's Oldsmobile" - A Cautionary Tale
http://globalservants.org/connect/blog/165-not-your-fathers-oldsmobile

Oldsmobile: Victim of Its Own Brand
http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2000/12/oldsmobile_victim_of_its_own_brand.html

Do you need more?

#106 · (Edited)
This is laughable. Not one of those cars was even close to being on par with Lexus, much less the Germans. Just because Olds tried to be more European in design and feel doesn't mean they were successful at it. To tie those relatively crappy vehicles to today's Cadillac and suggest that if Olds couldn't do it, Cadillac cannot is VOD level moronic. It would be equivalent to bringing up Merkur or Mercury and using their failure as the logic to suggest Lincoln can never succeed.

#112 ·
I totally agree that Badge Engineering wasn't working. It did work back in the 50-70's when every brand was somewhat on it's own.

Somewhat Chevy's whining was the down fall of that.

But I watched when GM did it to Olds. And although some Customers migrated to Buick/Pontiac, most just left.

And I can see Why caddy is looking for New Market, but it isn't with the CT6, or 8 (if it comes) the Cadillac market has been SUV's for a long time. Almost as long as Chebby's SUV market.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.