Spy Photos: 2014 Chrysler 100

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spy Photos: 2014 Chrysler 100

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

By Mike Magrath | February 6, 2012

Recently, Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne revealed to USA today that Chrysler was seriously considering a new five-door hatchback for the U.S. market. Here in the states the car would be known as the Chrysler 100 while in Europe it will be sold as a Lancia.

This is an important distinction as Lancia is a luxury brand in Europe. Chrysler could easily have gone low-budget and went Dodge/Fiat, but Marchionne and others clearly see a market for a high-end, A3-like hatch. This car is built on the same platform that underpins the Dart and the Giulietta, but this car has a Chrysler grille, different exhaust and different rear bumper that foreshadows a longer car with more cargo space. This mule also has a higher hood than the five-door Dart mules we've seen.
    MORE AT: http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...ysler-100.html
    "La vita č come un albero di Natale..c'č sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: Spy Photos: 2014 Chrysler 100

This will end badly...

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 MyImpalaSS's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Impala SS(Black on Black)

Don't look promising.......
    Current Cars:
    2010 Black Impala SS(my baby)
    2009 Gold Yukon Denali(wife drives it)
    2010 Black Hummer H3 Alpha(for my off-roading pleasure
    )

Future Cars:
    The Caddy Flagship
    C7 Corvette
    ATS 2.0T AWD Black exterior/Red interior(For my twins)

GM 4 LIFE!!!
    Nobody else does it better

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Too hard to tell with all that camo...one thing I will say is..Chrysler has to lose that style of wheel. Especially when on many of their cars in the past 10 years....that many spokes has been on their wheels on the SMALLEST wheels they offer.

Thanks
    My Ride
    '08 Pontiac G8

Quote Originally Posted by MyImpalaSS View Post
    Of course it doesn't, it's a mule.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC 90CamaroRS's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh no....(exact words out of my mouth)
    Last edited by 90CamaroRS; 02-06-2012 at 10:11 PM.
    Proud Owner Of a 1990 Camaro RS

Best Mileage to date: 33.8MPG
    525 highway miles on a single tank

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

That nose is intended to throw us way off..... no way that snout could be for real, right?

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 96_impala_ss's Avatar
    Thanks

The side profile is clean but the front is hideous!

Now my question is: Did Chrysler not learn from their Caliber mistake? I'm glad Chrysler is finally getting fuel sipping cars but will a hatchback near luxury car sell? Lets remember we're not getting the better looking Cruze hatchback because small hatchbacks supposedly don't sell well.

The price of having hope is sometimes disappointment, but the price of having no hope is always failure - Immortal Technique

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Jeez, here I thought Sergio was going to fix Chrysler. No how no way does that belong in the same showroom as the 300 and 200, IMO.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Regan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MyImpalaSS View Post
    Of course it doesn't, it's a mule.
    Agreed. This a test mule and no one should take away any true design impressions from it. In this regard, the 100 mule is no different than the Dart mules that were all running around under a Giulietta body-shell...and obviously we now know the production Dart looks nothing like the mules that were running around out there for two years.

No, the only thing we can definitely take from this is to confirm that they are, indeed, working on a C-Segment product for the Chrysler brand that will be based off the US Compact-Wide platform.

The only other thing this affirms is that the 100 (and by extension, the next Delta) will continue to use the Chrysler-derived grille or they wouldn't be doing mule tests with it slapped on a Giulietta body-shell (this is probably an engine or motor-endurance mule of some kind).

Other than that, as the article states, the extended bumpers on the back hints that the car may reside on a longer version of the USCW platform to give the Chrysler 100 (which is supposed to be built in hatchback only) some visual and practical "separation" from it's Dart sibling.

However, from a purely subjective perspective, the retention of the Chrysler grille is a bit of a disappointment to me. First it a let down since I was hoping that they'd re-adopt Lancia's split-shield look for both brands (which is far more attractive, IMHO). Second, it tells us that the new "united" Chrysler-Lancia design language that Fiat Design Chief, Lorenzo Ramaciotti, was tasked at developing for both marques isn't going to debut on the new 100/Delta. I was honestly hoping that we'd see that unified look make it to market on the 100, which is much closer to making it to market than the 200 replacement, but I guess Ramaciotti needs more time.
    Last edited by nadepalma; 02-06-2012 at 10:56 PM.
    "La vita č come un albero di Natale..c'č sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

Thanks
    My Ride
    BMW K1300S

Well, in the DC area I do see a LOT of A3's running around. Assuming this is just a body shell and not the actual car, if they put an interior in it thats as nice as the 300 and 200's, I can see this selling reasonably well.
    "Government at its best is a necessary evil, at its worst it is an intolerable one" - Thomas Paine
    Currenty Ride:
    2012 BMW K1300S
    Previous:
    2009 Volvo C30
    2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LTZ
    2005 Pontiac GTO
    1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Thanks

To give you hand-wringers and judgment-passers a frame of reference, here is the 2013 Dodge Dart:

And this was the test mule for the 2013 Dodge Dart:

http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-ga...car-spy-photos

Notice some similarities? Like the fact that both the Chrysler "100" mule and the Dart mule used Alfa Giulietta bodies to disguise their actual bodywork? And the grille treatments are visible under both cars' camouflage, so that all we know is what brand they're supposed to be, though everything else about these mules is a total red herring.
    Last edited by ne_one; 02-06-2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Copyright protected spy photos
    Peace,

Autoplaybook

Wouldn't You Really Rather Have A Buick?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 igor's Avatar
    Thanks

^^ can I like, +1 or otherwise promote this nugget of always forgotten wisdom?

GMI Staff Member Premium Member GMfan1111's Avatar
    in a undisclosed bunker somewhere in the metro detroit area
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

^indeed, it is WAY too early to make any final judgments about the Chrysler 100 as it stands right now. These early mules do not reveal much and the final product could change during the course of development.

Looking at the spy photos again it looks like this tester may also have a brand new roof spoiler (judging from past dart mules) in addition to the new rear bumper. Also from photos of various testers over the past few years it seems that this platform is quite flexible considering that AWD equipped units have been spotted in the past. Hopefully this flexibility will help give the platform an advantage when it comes to development costs and expand the types of cars that can be made on it
    “The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair”

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
    - Douglas Adams -

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 ZHDesign57's Avatar
    Thanks

If it is pretty much the Alfa Giulietta with Chrysler fixings, I think it would work well. My only complaint is the numeric theme they have going for the names. I hope they don't change the Town & Country to 700, it has too much recognition in the U.S. Market. Chrysler 100 doesn't sound too bad, but I would prefer something more inspiring.
    "You can design a car, so every time you get in it, it's a relief - you have a little vacation." - Harley Earl

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information