GM Inside News Forum banner

Spied: Ford Fusion ST With Quad Exhaust

5K views 36 replies 26 participants last post by  AmericanRevolution 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Re: Ford Fusion ST?

I wonder if this implies that there will be more room for 35K+ Ford sedans with a certain nameplate rumored to go away.

Regardless, I favor Ford making this sedan. Previously I've suggested using the Focus RS' 2.3T with 345 horsepower (or even a slight de-tune) which would be more balanced than this V-6, which could be used in a MKZ of some kind. Anyway, they really should take the high-tech AWD system from the Focus too and making this a bargain S4. Ford enjoys a "cool" factor to them that a lot of other mainstream brands struggle to offer, and the benefit is that Ford can make some rather expensive vehicles without resorting to having Lincoln sell them. So frankly even if this was nearly Taurus SHO money, it could actually work as long as it's "good enough". I am curious what the next Regal GS would bring to the table as that'd be a direct competitor.

#6 ·
Ford Fusion ST Spied With Quad Exhaust.
MotorTrend
September 2, 2015
By: Kelly Pleskot

Ford is plotting to expand its ST lineup beyond the Fiesta and Focus small cars. Our spy photographers captured a Ford Fusion ST prototype, which features a number of bold upgrades over the standard midsize sedan.

Up front, the Fusion ST sports an intercooler in the lower grille opening. While the model features the same bold character lines across the body as the standard sedan, big changes happen in the back. Quad-tip exhaust pipes immediately stand out, as do the 19-inch wheels and beefier brake rotors and calipers. Unlike the Focus ST, the souped-up Fusion doesn't appear to have a bold rear spoiler.

There's a good chance the Fusion ST will pack a version of the automaker's 2.7-liter twin-turbo EcoBoost V-6. Expect the mill to deliver between 300 and 325 hp and come paired with all-wheel drive and a six-speed automatic transmission (sorry, manual fans). The model will also likely receive a unique sport–tuned suspension just like the rest of the ST lineup. It's hard to say how the twin-turbo 2.7-liter will perform in the Fusion, but a much heavier 2015 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 equipped with that engine hit 60 mph in 6.5 seconds in our tests. For comparison, the Focus ST we recently tested reaches that speed in 6.2 seconds. The Ford Fusion ST will enter production in the first quarter of 2016. That's right alongside a face-lifted version of the standard sedan.

#17 ·
ST's don't have huge breaks, their not SVT, more of an aggressive sport model, Fiesta does get rear disc breaks, but they are tiny, Focus breaks are one of the biggest complaints of the ST as they overheat, so I can still see this being an ST, if its a Sport it will just be the Edge Sport powertrain (315 Horsepower, 350 lb feet torque) if an ST, they may give it an overboost feature and let it have slightly more.

My hunch is it will be the same torque as I expect the transmission is limiting how much torque they can make, seems to be the case considering the 3.5L EcoBoost Front wheel drives (Explorer, SHO, Flex), make 365 Horsepower, but still the same 350lb/ft torque. The 3.5L is obviously computer torque limited as it makes 350lb/ft from 1500-5500 with no curve inbetween.

#16 ·
No manual. Sigh. We know a manual fits in the Fusion because they used to offer one with the base models, but this engine and the AWD probably rule it out here.

#19 ·
Frankly I'm quite intrigued... I W I S H GM would stop screwing around and put the Vsport XTS drivetrain under an Impala - I'd be all over that like a fly on a pile of dog poo!

#21 ·
My understanding is because of the CGI's added strength they're able to use thinner walls, keeping the weight in line with an aluminum block. But yes, a 2.7 twin turbo is bound to add a little weight over that of a 2.0 single turbo. Either way I doubt it'll be that significant.

#27 ·
The 0-60 time quoted was for an F-150 equipped with the engine... Fusion would be much faster.

Relevant question... how fast would this car need to be, to get your attention?

#30 ·
Well that puts an interesting twist on things... I'm going to guess 0-60 in 5.6 seconds. And that would be pretty good. A midsize family sedan that's good looking and actually kinda quick. I wonder if they'll allow further modifications under warranty. Because it could potentially be a 5 second flat car in that case - almost as quick as a 335i...

#37 ·
Even 10 years ago... Heck, less than 10 years ago, when I sold Saturn's, we were ecstatic over the 252 HP the 3.6 put out in the Aura XR.

Reactions: paul8488
#36 ·
I'm still waiting on a Malibu Sport 320 HP DI 3.6 AWD and maybe even a Malibu SS with 350-400 HP AWD, quad center-exit exhaust alas the Corvette... buuuuut doubt it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.