GM Inside News Forum banner

Spied: 2017 Mercedes-Benz E Class

10K views 82 replies 23 participants last post by  MonaroSS 
#1 ·
2017 Mercedes E-Class spied wearing significantly less disguise.
World Car Fans
September 2, 2015
By: Michael Gauthier

The 2016 / 2017 Mercedes E-Class has been spied wearing significantly less disguise.

Set to be introduced sometime next year, the redesigned sedan follows in the footsteps of the C- and S-Class as it upscale styling that closely echoes its brethren. Starting up front, we can see a rounded front fascia with a two-bar grille that is flanked by familiar headlights. The déjà vu design continues out back as the rear end mirrors both the aforementioned models.

The interior eschews the straight lines of its predecessor for a flowing dashboard with circular air vents and a large infotainment system. We can also see a three-spoke steering wheel, gloss black trim and metallic accents.

Mercedes has been tight-lipped about performance specifications but the model is slated to ride on the company's new MRA platform which should help the car weigh between 70 - 150 kg (154 - 330 lbs) less than its predecessor.

Engine options remain unconfirmed but will likely be shared with the C- and S-Class. This mean we can expect an assortment of familiar four-, six- and eight-cylinder options.

See less See more
#8 ·
2012 Mercedes is about a thousand miles behind 2016 Mercedes. Entire lineup looked like ugly cardboard cutouts masquerading as cars.

GLK looked like a monster, CLS had an ugly face, S was weird and bulgy, C was ugly as hell, E was rough. Not bad cars, but they were just... eh.

New lineup is BEAUTIFUL besides CLA. A+.

I'm hoping that 2016 Cadillac is our 2012 Mercedes lineup. I'm hoping that 2020 Cadillac will be absolutely stunning.

#11 ·
They are going to sell boat loads of these pretty much everywhere. Looks like it has a bit of the S-class look while maintaining a good profile (which IMO the C-class doesn't do as well).

I want one already. I'd like a diesel all wheel drive model. Hopefully they have a model with the smaller hood ornament instead of the giant 3 pointed.

#15 ·
Overall, this is a winner. Will it debut with the new I6? I think the move to an I6 is exciting for the industry.
I REALLY hate their new logo treatments lately though. The logo and grill bars are so huge and clunky - there's nothing elegant about them.
I'm not sure I like giving up so much prime dash real estate to vents. Seems like function really lost out to form here.

I hope the wheels are a joke.
Audi already did this wheel and did a MUCH better job of it. BTW - this is my favorite A8 generation (styling).

#16 ·
Looks like that cheap CLA. Nothing to jump up and down about.

No GM news today?

Reactions: Ute and megeebee
#17 ·
Looks like that cheap CLA. Nothing to jump up and down about.
Mercedes is such a strong and pervasive brand that what their products actually look like is irrelevant.

#36 ·
If you seriously can't tell the difference between the two:
Then your eyes are so bad you shouldn't even be driving, sorry. One is hard edged and blocky, the other is curvy and fluidic.
First off, I said "Mercedes base", of which I am not. My statement applied to MB buyers.
Secondly, I didn't say I couldn't tell the difference, but that it was practically microscopic.
Thirdly, I think you are getting hornswaggled by all the camo patches over the hard blocky lines of the '17, but people are going to see what they want to see. ;)

#28 · (Edited)
The tapered rear, or at least how MB has been doing it, is not fitting for a luxury sedan. A luxury sedan needs a slightly tall, very horizontal rear end to emphasize width, room, and on-road stability.

From the rear 3/4, the E-class presence will get rekt by more traditionally shaped competitors like the Lexus GS

I've already noticed this a with the new C-class, seeing them side by side from the rear with a 3 series in traffic. The C-class looks smaller and has less presence from that angle due to the tapered rear.

#31 ·
I disagree. The ATS fits the description you describe as stable, wide, and roomy:

As does the IS:

Yet the C Class handily outsells all of the cars above, all while costing far more than them.

I think the new E, tapered rear and all, will continue to dominate the class in sales, even while costing more than every other car in that class. Hell, the current E still is the sales leader in the midsize luxury segment, despite its age and higher starting price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.