GM Inside News Forum banner

Spied: 2016 Lincoln MKX Spied in Final Production Form

11K views 93 replies 27 participants last post by  megeebee 
#1 ·
2016 Lincoln MKX spied in production form.
Autoblog
By: Chris Bruce
December 17, 2014

We're getting our first quality look at the next-generation Lincoln MKX in production guise thanks to these fresh spy shots, and they suggest styling that hews very closely to the concept from earlier this year.

Compared to the showcar, the headlights aren't quite as well integrated into the grille, but these LED units still attempt to nicely wrap the split-wing grille across the entire face of the vehicle. Beyond that, the two vehicles quite similar, though. The shape of the lower air dam is practically identical – just with some extra plastic for the production version. The hint of a character line running down the side also makes the resemblance easy to spot, despite this tester's polka-dot camouflage. At the rear, the taillights stretch across the hatch with integrated exhaust outlets below. Even the twin-spoke wheels are comparable to the concept.

Also, look carefully at these spy shots, and you can notice Lincoln apparently testing two different trims. One has LED headlights with front and rear parking sensors (pictured above), and the other shows projector lights with the sensors only at the rear.

The next-gen MKX will launch in 2015 and will be the first model in Lincoln's lineup to benefit from the deal with Harman to use its high-end Revel audio system. Check out the gallery to get a mildly camouflaged sneak preview of the company's future luxury crossover.

See less See more
#33 · (Edited)
I feel like I have been waiting for forever for this and I am not disappointed. I agree that it looks like a larger MKC (which is a very good thing) but I think the larger proportions of the MKX make it look much better than the MKC. I especially like the way the rear end looks, quite attractive! I really hope they offer the gold color of the concept. Detroit debut?

Reactions: Dequindre
#34 ·
I have the impression that FoMoCo never deletes a design idea
and years...YEARS later it could surface on a production vehicle
+
these "concepts" which I believe are put together AFTER the production car is set in stone might be a way for them (or the designers) to be adventurous or try out stuff for public opinion
+
if one of those 'experiments' goes over really well (even if it wasN'T too late to put it on the production vehicle)
they may well WANT to wait to
- put it on something (perhaps more important) that's coming cough*Conti*cough
- save it for if(when) they get stuck

that ^ was about the HLs

#41 · (Edited)
these "concepts" which I believe are put together AFTER the production car is set in stone might be a way for them (or the designers) to be adventurous or try out stuff for public opinion
You can do three types of concepts:

1. Virtually identical to the production car minus ugly details like door handles, larger mirrors and the like. -> MKZ
2. Very similar to the production, only far more attractive due to not needing to conform to the production platform. -> MKX
3. Outlandish futuristic dream cars that only hint at a general direction but have no chance of making production. -> Evos

Number 1 causes you no pain as you mostly deliver what you show. Number 3 causes you no pain as nobody expected you to deliver anything remotely close. Number 2, oh you miserable *******. Number 2 makes only small tweaks but they take an otherwise nice production car and make it exceptional in very producible ways, they're the classic example of over promising and under delivering.

In my eyes the MKC and MKX concepts were perfect Lincoln CUVs and they should never have seen the light of day. Don't use bait and switch on me and expect me to cheer the very nice, but not exceptional production version when you yourself show me what you want to produce, but won't. The MKZ, love it or hate it, it delivered on the concepts promise.

Being a GM forum I'll add the Elmiraj to the conversation. F'ck you Cadillac, I like A&S, but I f'cking loved that Elmiraj, stop f'cking teasing your potential clients.

#39 ·
Actually, I give a pass to this and no pass to the SRX because I expect FWD bias from Lincoln and RWD bias for Cadillac. The same goes for Audi and BMW. If Lincoln can bring a premium and permanent AWD system with the MDX, they won't have one bit of problem selling it. I think it will compete very well with the MDX which I think it's the closest competitor. We all know the MDX sells very well.

#44 ·
I have tested Lincoln's AWD and it does a great job moving power front-to-rear. In fact, the first MKS with AWD would send close to 90% of power to rear wheel when you accelerated hard. This was very noticeable when your wheel was turned, as that car turned surprisingly well for a giant boat.

I have not driven a Lincoln since, but I would be surprised if Lincoln went backwards. I have not driven the SRX, but have no reason to believe its FWD platform has a more advanced, more RWD biased driving experience than Lincoln. Full time AWD is not needed in the age of split-second electronic controls; its just a waste of money, fuel, and reliability.

#92 ·
Understated and elegant??

I love the floating center console. The MKZ has that, and I found the unique storage to be very convenient. You can put all kinds of things there, and they will not fall out.

After the Cadillac "we have never met a texture that we don't love" over the top interior, of course the Lincoln interior will look plain in comparison. However, when talking luxury, gaudy is not an attribute.

#93 ·
After the Cadillac "we have never met a texture that we don't love" over the top interior, of course the Lincoln interior will look plain in comparison. However, when talking luxury, gaudy is not an attribute.
I agree.

Cadillac interiors, while extremely nice looking, are a little over the top in terms of material and texture choices.

Take, for example, the CTS Vsport door panel:

High quality? Absolutely. Authentic materials? Sure. Nice design? No doubt.

But as nice as it is, it's too busy. There's too much going on. The leather on suede on leather with stitching all over the place is too much, at least for me.

I prefer the ATS's door panel:

It looks more elegant IMHO. As a whole, I still like Cadillac car interiors more than Lincoln interiors (SUVs remain to be seen), but I'd prefer if they tone down the materials and stitching going everywhere. It's getting a bit excessive, especially in higher trim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.