RWD Lincolns planned if MKZ, brand re-launch successful

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RWD Lincolns planned if MKZ, brand re-launch successful

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

RWD Lincolns planned if MKZ, brand re-launch successful

Lincoln Working Up Rear-Drive Options
    Wave of additional models could follow if MKZ clicks.
    by Paul A. Eisenstein on Dec.03, 2012

While Ford Motor Co. officials want to shine the spotlight on their near-term plans for a Lincoln renaissance, they are already working up some aggressive product programs that would include the addition of one or more rear-wheel-drive models to the luxury brandís line-up.

The strategy would continue to see Lincoln share most of its underlying platforms with the mainstream Ford brand, however, including the next-generation Mustang.

ďRear-wheel-drive is definitely in the works,Ē one of Fordís top executives confirmed in a background conversation with TheDetroitBureau.com.

That executive downplayed rumors that Ford might look to partner with another luxury brand on one or more future products, however.

CONTINUE AT: http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2012...drive-options/
    "La vita Ť come un albero di Natale..c'Ť sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: RWD Lincolns planned if MKZ, brand re-launch successful

WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY!!!!

Ford would just be better off in Killing off Lincoln, No one at the Glass House is serious about long term name/brand reputation to do what is necessary to commit to a World class position.

It is quite clear, Design EVERY car from the onset to best Mercedes Benz and BMW, not just compete.

Ford is not willing to do this.. Save your money Ford and just call it quits.
    Last edited by Nordoff; 12-05-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) megeebee's Avatar
    Thanks

Last edited by megeebee; 12-05-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

I love the new MKX in pics, look forward to seeing it in real life.

Thanks

What Ford is going to do with Lincoln is once again make it back to being a fully fledged Division with its own set of in house designers and engineers.

Sound like something GM should again do with Cadillac!
    http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com
    I find it sad that some people wish for GM to fail and can't comprehend any good news. A plausible explanation for this kind of behavior is that you have a miserable life so you wish the same to others. Cory Pham, Autoblog Poster

GM must return its divisions to being interdependent entities within the corporation. Decentralize and free the different divisions talents to foster brand differentiation and customer loyalty.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

RWD is but a start as to what is needed at poor Lincoln these days. They really need to look at there asinine letter naming system, bland generic styling, badge engineered Ford FWD mess and who they are chasing. Only then will Lincoln have any relevance again.

6.0 Liter L76 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

Ford, specifically Mulally, has no balls. So, Ford is resting the fate of Lincoln on one vehicle? It's pretty clear that Mulally is waiting for Lincoln to fail so he can dump them. I'm not impressed by a CEO that has achieved success simply by cutting; an approach often used by many CEOs to improve the bottom line of the company. Anyone can make cuts, but a true visionary and leader finds a way to make difficult situations work.

Either you're committed to making a brand work or you aren't. Audi and Cadillac are having to do it in the toughest segment out there - true luxury. Moreover, Lincoln's true competitors like Hyundai and Buick are already fighting their way back and doing quite well. Not to mention, Acura is trying to find a way to come back. It can be done if you're committed, but you can't say you've truly tried with a half baked attempt. The revival of Lincoln isn't going to happen overnight. Lincoln needs a full lineup, good marketing, good products, and time to develop the brand. Lincoln can make a fast turn around, but that will depend on Ford's commitment and vision.

Ford should be honest with themselves and call it quits now. Why waste the money on a half baked attempt to say you "tried" and them dump Lincoln?

News Contributor Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cadillac ATS

So basically if MkZ fails, Lincoln dies.

Any questions?
    Current:

2014 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Past:

2013 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection -> LEMON

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ V6

Thanks

So if the FWD cars sell well, they'll bring out RWD cars...makes sense...
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ponchoman49 View Post
    RWD is but a start as to what is needed at poor Lincoln these days. They really need to look at there asinine letter naming system, bland generic styling, badge engineered Ford FWD mess and who they are chasing. Only then will Lincoln have any relevance again.

I still remember the "rebirth" of Lincoln when the Lincoln LS was introduced. The automotive press went ga-ga because the car was RWD and could be ordered with a manual shift transmission. (The take rate on the manual turned out to be about 3-5% and the manual option was later dropped). The auto writers could wear their driving gloves and proclaimed the car an "enthusiasts car".....

RWD is not always the answer. FWD works very, very well in the parts of the country with rain and snow - and also helps with interior packaging. In parts of the country where there is not inclement weather - FWD still works - or even better, AWD.

I don't have an answer for improving Lincoln - but RWD won't make a difference (except to the 20-something auto writers that have a bunch of stubble on their face because they don't have to shave every day....)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 sfbreh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 944 Posts

If Ford dumps Lincoln, I'll be pissed. Then I'll get over it. But I WANT a Cadillac-Lincoln American Duo to fight the German Triumvirate.

I really hope it works out for Lincoln, but the MKZ just doesn't inspire.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 sfbreh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 944 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post

Any questions?
    Plenty...

Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post
    I still remember the "rebirth" of Lincoln when the Lincoln LS was introduced. The automotive press went ga-ga because the car was RWD and could be ordered with a manual shift transmission. (The take rate on the manual turned out to be about 3-5% and the manual option was later dropped). The auto writers could wear their driving gloves and proclaimed the car an "enthusiasts car".....

RWD is not always the answer. FWD works very, very well in the parts of the country with rain and snow - and also helps with interior packaging. In parts of the country where there is not inclement weather - FWD still works - or even better, AWD.

I don't have an answer for improving Lincoln - but RWD won't make a difference (except to the 20-something auto writers that have a bunch of stubble on their face because they don't have to shave every day....)
    I'm with you on AWD. I really give no ****s about RWD. For a flagship? Okay, definitely RWD. For FWD? Mid-size cars and under, okay. Crossovers, okay. Not much left after that. Who really gives a hoot if a crossover is RWD?

News Contributor
    Thanks

Is $1 Billion really enough to get Lincoln off to a good start? It really doesn't seem like it. It seems like more money is going towards marketing than vehicles. I'm sure Jimmy Fallon was pricey. Some kind individual should donate $50 Billion to them.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ponchoman49 View Post
    Agree. Few luxury car buyers are going to waste time visiting Lincoln showrooms to see rebadged tauruses and fusions. Lexus got away with that in 1990 because their flagship, the LS, was unknown in America at that time and they underpriced all the Euros and U.S. models. That gave them time to upgrade the Camry based ES to something much better. The rest is history. I wish Lincoln well, but they have a huge mountain to climb with their current strategy.

2b2
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post

Any questions?
    how about a diff opinion, copied from FiN

re: Mr. Mulally; imho his fixation with a single Brand just shows he didn't know the auto business - these aren't airplanes - INDIVIDUAL people buy them, not companies - Nameplates have EMOTIONAL TIES & WEIGHT.
    however
    I don't believe Mr. M. will go back on his (assumed) word about Lincoln. Don't think he'd have let it continue at all if it was to be given such weak support as one model having to "do well" or ELSE. Just don't see him as wishy-washy or placating. If he really wanted to pull the plug, it would've happened years ago.
    So at least, Lincoln will be kept around as a hobby(/hobbled)** until a new CEO who *gets it* replaces him -- about when I expect Mercury to Return.

I highly recommend the book "An American Icon" by Bryce Hoffman for a perspective on what went on during Mulally's first few years with FoMoCo (or FoMoCo's first few years with Mulally).

** imho Lincoln costs NOTHING in corporate-size budget terms
    &or breaks even
    AND it still has the positive balance of having prevented H U G E lawsuits over closing all of Lincoln-Mercury...
    ...PLUS the bad publicity.
    "One useless man is called a disgrace, two become a law firm, and three or more become a Congress."

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information