GM Inside News Forum banner

Rendered: Lincoln's S/7/A8 Fighter

14K views 73 replies 46 participants last post by  johnstarnes 
#1 ·
Future Cars: 2018 Lincoln Continental as a BMW 7 and Cadillac CT6 Fighter
Carscoops
By: Josh Byrnes
January 28, 2015

Quickly name a few luxury large sedans on the market and ask yourselves this; out of the established BMW, Audi, Mercedes-Benz and Jaguar offerings, did you recollect an American luxury automaker?

Surely, Cadillac must have come to mind, however did the Lincoln Motor Company provoke any thoughts?

Unfortunately, instinct tells me Lincoln still sits at the backbenches of many car enthusiasts' dream garage. So, how does the blue-oval’s luxury division recapture that former magic? Well, previously, I introduced a Lincoln coupe proposal, and now time has come for a rendered hypothesis in rear-wheel-drive ‘Continental’ format.

This study goes back to the future and delves into the past; firstly great inspiration has been taken from the Lincoln Continental of 1960’s vintage, with its clean bodywork and simple silhouette. Secondly, I’ve revisited the MKR Concept for those modern proportions and organic styling features.
In doing this, the best visual aspects have been massaged together to exude presence; large four-door luxury sedans should scream ‘hey, look at me!’ towards any admiring bystander. Such vast sheet-metal acreage is beneficial in creating standout elements that would otherwise get lost on a smaller vehicle.

One design trick is a shoulder-line chrome strip that runs horizontally over the vehicle; emphasizing length, it also connects the viewer’s eye from front to rear whilst helping to segment the visual bulk. Gone is that split-wing grille from the current crop of Lincolns, replaced by an electric shaver-inspired inlay with chrome vertical bars.

Keen viewers will notice the position of the door handles; yes, that’s right folks - it has suicide doors! This and the chrome windscreen surround add a sense of theatre, perhaps with a hint of Rolls Royce?

Full article available at link.

See less See more
#8 ·
Re: Rendered: 2018 Lincoln's S/7/A8 Fighter

Not horrible, but a bit overdone. I always thought of Lincoln as less "bold" and more "understated" luxury.

Still, if this is image were the real thing, I guess that would mean they were shifting away from the current "spread wings"/"bow wave of a boat" front end toward something else entirely?

#16 ·

Future Cars: 2018 Lincoln Continental as a BMW 7 and Cadillac CT6 Fighter
Carscoops
By: Josh Byrnes
January 28, 2015

That looks horrifyingly awful. Excessively and distractingly busy grill.

Reactions: cad1cts
#18 ·

I HATE that grill. Looks cheap + busy all at the same time.

At least they are doing something, and obviously, things would change for production anyway.

#22 ·

I HATE that grill. Looks cheap + busy all at the same time.

At least they are doing something, and obviously, things would change for production anyway.
Well this clearly isn't a Lincoln concept, just someone's photoshop... I suspect Lincoln will do something totally different from their previous concepts.

#19 ·

Secondly, jumping headlong into conventionally competing with the S-Class would be idiotic. There are tons of far more attractive segments to be going into than that shrinking, highly competitive, low profit one.

If Lincoln wants a real flagship, they should look no further than their parent company's bread and butter.

Lincoln Dominator.

Grab the Ford F-650 chassis, and bolt on a really sleek, yet brawny, Lincoln body, with a leather-wrapped and technology-packed interior. Super-comfortable seating for 6, plus tons of room for cargo. Make sure it drives very nicely and has a super-smooth ride. Throw a nice V8 under the hood, with the best hybrid technology available for super-efficient, yet torque-heavy performance. Something that averages 30-40 mpg, all things considered, yet would TOWER over an Escalade if they were parked next to each other.

Get this thing into the hands of every celebrity, musician, and actor you can find, then get it on every TV show and movie where possible.

Price it at $125,000, then watch it FLY off lots. I guarantee they will not be able to build them fast enough.

Then, introduce a smaller version based on the F350 Super Duty. Lincoln Dominator Sport, with the same attitude, just a bit smaller.

Make them all super customizable as well, and definitely make a pickup truck bed an option.

#20 ·

Secondly, jumping headlong into conventionally competing with the S-Class would be idiotic. There are tons of far more attractive segments to be going into than that shrinking, highly competitive, low profit one.

If Lincoln wants a real flagship, they should look no further than their parent company's bread and butter.

Lincoln Dominator.

Grab the Ford F-650 chassis, and bolt on a really sleek, yet brawny, Lincoln body, with a leather-wrapped and technology-packed interior. Super-comfortable seating for 6, plus tons of room for cargo. Make sure it drives very nicely and has a super-smooth ride. Throw a nice V8 under the hood, with the best hybrid technology available for super-efficient, yet torque-heavy performance. Something that averages 30-40 mpg, all things considered, yet would TOWER over an Escalade if they were parked next to each other.

Get this thing into the hands of every celebrity, musician, and actor you can find, then get it on every TV show and movie where possible.

Price it at $125,000, then watch it FLY off lots. I guarantee they will not be able to build them fast enough.

Then, introduce a smaller version based on the F350 Super Duty. Lincoln Dominator Sport, with the same attitude, just a bit smaller.

Make them all super customizable as well, and definitely make a pickup truck bed an option.
I actually saw a vehicle very similar to this on the highway once. It was such an attention grabber I chased it to get a better look.

#21 ·

Pretty nice, IMO. I think it would look better with a real roof instead of the glass and a little less busy grill. Also, the the chrome windshield 'surround' looks a bit odd without any chrome at the hood line. Love the suicide doors.

#31 ·

That looks good. The hood is a bit long, but that looks like a luxury car, not a mainstream car trying so hard to be a luxury car.

Reactions: t-rex and ocmdog
#51 ·

Before expectations are lifted too high, no, the new Continental will not be an A8/S-Class fighter.
I don't doubt for an second that Ford could produce such a car, given time and money. But the Lincoln brand could not support such a car right now and won't be able to for a while yet. I'd love to see it happen one day though.

Reactions: cad1cts and sfbreh
#35 ·

It is quite obvious that this is just a Lincoln MKR chop. They put a modified last gen Navigator grille on it, and added a chrome surround for the windshield and on the window sills.

It looks terrible, and the person who did it is not very good.

As someone said................ slow news day.

#36 ·

They need to stop paying homage to the 61 Continental.

The reason we remember it is because it was the first really *toned down* luxury car after the tailfin orgy of the 50's.

The need to capture the quality of *restraint* in the Continental, not just copy the grille pattern.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.