GM Inside News Forum banner

2016 Renault Talisman Sedan & Estate

9K views 43 replies 31 participants last post by  Amphibian 
#1 · (Edited)
Renault Talisman revealed

The Talisman will be the Renault Laguna's replacement in Europe, but it won't be coming to the UK

Auto Car
July 6, 2015
By: Darren Moss

Already spotted testing in Europe, the Talisman is expected to go on sale in 2016. Design cues around the front end echo those of the next-generation Renault Megane, which is also due to arrive in 2016, while the Talisman’s overall shape is similar to traditional saloons like the Mazda 6 and Volkswagen Passat.

Renault says the Talisman nameplate was chosen as it “conjures up notions of both protection and power. At the same time, Talisman is an easy word to pronounce and understand the world over”.
Full article and photos at the link.

Here's a video:

So, the latest competitor for the Passat, Superb, Mondeo, Insignia, C5, and 508. Looks pretty good overall.

As the article points out, Renault has already chosen to keep it from the UK market because of the decline of this segment. So for it to replace the existing Talisman, it's also the next version of the Renault-Samsung SM7 that's sold in Korea (which is the car that is badged as the Talisman in China). Based on the information provide it appears as though Renault is looking for a more global midsize product akin to the Passat and Mondeo-Fusion. Of course to NA enthusiasts this all means little as we won't be getting it anytime soon short of some aspects of it being used in a future Nissan, etc. But it is gorgeous overall, I have to say.

August 26, 2015 UPDATE

2016 Renault Talisman: first images of estate model

The Talisman will be the Renault Laguna's replacement in Europe, but it won't be coming to the UK

Auto Express
August 26, 2015
By: Lawrence Allan

Renault bosses stated that, like the new Espace MPV, it won't be engineered for right-hand drive due to the decline in the traditional saloon market. The previous Laguna was axed in this country in 2011 due to slow sales, while saloon rivals such as the Honda Accord have also bowed out of the market.

Here's a video

See less See more
#20 ·
Re: Renault's Insignia Competitor: 2016 Renault Talisman

next gen Ultima? OR Maxima?
Probably more Maxima than Altima, but I don't think any details have been given on whether or not it's based on any platform Nissan uses. It'd be a wise move though, given their alliance.

It could get even worse for the next gen C5.

Next generation Citroen C5 might not be sold in Europe
That's unfortunate, though not entirely surprising. So would the 508 version of the car remain available to Europeans, in theory anyway? But if Mazda can justify selling the Mazda 6 or Hyundai the i40 in Europe, how could Citroen not sell the C5 there? Doesn't it outsell them both?

Say what you want about French cars but they sure do have a knack for getting the details right.
Makes me most curious about a potential line of dedicated premium DS cars on sale in the US. :dro: So much more interesting than an A4 or 5-Series.

Interesting, it says 'Initiale' at the bottom of the grille on this one; wasn't that supposed to be an upscale Renault brand (à la Lexus and Infiniti)? Are they going the Ford 'Vignale' route and offering a top-level package instead of a separate brand?
If Initiale is indeed a thing, I assume the latter. At least I'm not aware of Renault having any near term intentions of a luxury brand. But on that note it might be intriguing to have Renault's Initiale people look over Infinitis as they look to improve that brand. But perhaps that's more a Daimler-Infiniti thing if their relationship intensifies.

I think the Renault underneath is a platform shared with other vehicles, like the Citroen/Peugeot already made there by Ssanyong. I think it's a parts-bin effort and easy-ish to make either hook-drive. More shame on GM that cars that likely sell two digits in Australia annually come in so many versions......

I reckon it will come here, things like the Kaptur do and if they're not selling in the UK, they need an outlet. Renault joint owns Samsung auto which makes cars mostly engineered by Nissan. I wouldn't mind betting the Talisman is a Maxima underneath, like the new Merc CLA is a gussied up Pulsar.

Only American auto companies use that excuse, unless you're talking about hyper-expensive supercars.
SsangYong or Renault-Samsung? RS is Renault's subsidiary and would seem likely to receive this car as the new SM7 or other such car.

#7 ·

So, the latest competitor for the Passat, Superb, Mondeo, Insignia, C5, and 508. Looks pretty good overall.

As the article points out, Renault has already chosen to keep it from the UK market because of the decline of this segment.
It could get even worse for the next gen C5.

Next generation Citroen C5 might not be sold in Europe

#12 ·

Oh good news for GM and Holden: another minnow joins the burgeoning ranks of cars in the Australian mid-priced, mid-size, four-cylinder FWD class for annual sales of about 30,000 units that the Insignia is being dropped into ....... the 508 and C5 stablemates are already here and Renault sells anything else they have worth big dollars.

No. of cars in the large, RWD, moderate price class? One. And currently, it's selling that many without even being advertised and with no competition. But that one is going away. Smart move, GM.

#13 ·

Oh good news for GM and Holden: another minnow joins the burgeoning ranks of cars in the Australian mid-priced, mid-size, four-cylinder FWD class for annual sales of about 30,000 units that the Insignia is being dropped into ....... the 508 and C5 stablemates are already here and Renault sells anything else they have worth big dollars.

No. of cars in the large, RWD, moderate price class? One. And currently, it's selling that many without even being advertised and with no competition. But that one is going away. Smart move, GM.
if they are not going to sell it in the UK will they bother making it RHD? I wouldn't think so.

#15 ·

Best chance of RHD is that some of the Asian countries are interested in it. Based on Renault's website, it will be built in South Korea, so maybe there is a chance to feed the Japanese market considering the relationship with Nissan.

Reactions: RedVee8 and cad1cts
#16 ·

Wow, very much like that. I have a soft spot for French cars, so I was bound to like it, but I really love every angle. And no trapezoidal grille! Props for originality! Say what you want about French cars but they sure do have a knack for getting the details right.

#17 ·

Interesting, it says 'Initiale' at the bottom of the grille on this one; wasn't that supposed to be an upscale Renault brand (à la Lexus and Infiniti)? Are they going the Ford 'Vignale' route and offering a top-level package instead of a separate brand?

#32 · (Edited)

I wonder how they compare with the outgoing car.

#22 ·

Renault seems to understand something about design that no other auto company does. Very handsome car.

Talisman was a name to be used on a sportier version of the Tucker 48, but it never made production. Renault used it before on this concept:
http://www.boldride.com/ride/2001/renault-talisman-concept
They're also using it right now on this model for China:

#38 ·

It's a Passat lookalike with disappointingly few Renault-ish details to set it apart. Unbegeistert. Better get the real thing then. It shows that the Germans form the benchmark. The new Alfa Giulia is more of a German sports sedan rendition than a real Alfa. Next!
Agree looks like a blinged up Passat, so they made an ugly car even worse, should sell well.

#29 ·

Nice look Regie

#33 ·

AFAIK the Talisman is a saloon only, unlike it's predecessor Laguna which was hatchback and estate - Renault rightly conclude that saloon demand for mainstream models is virtually non-existent in the UK so no market for the Talisman in RHD.

#40 ·

AFAIK the Talisman is a saloon only, unlike it's predecessor Laguna which was hatchback and estate - Renault rightly conclude that saloon demand for mainstream models is virtually non-existent in the UK so no market for the Talisman in RHD.
Saloon and wagon, not saloon only. But yeah, you're right about the market not being there: 3-Series, A4, and C-class leases have virtually killed the mainstream brands saloon market in the UK as AFAIK it's made up mostly of company cars.

#43 ·

Rather than make a new thread, it seemed most efficent to just bump this one. The Estate is here! Updated the original post but put it here too for convenience.

2016 Renault Talisman: first images of estate model

Auto Express
August 26, 2015
By: Lawrence Allan

Renault bosses stated that, like the new Espace MPV, it won't be engineered for right-hand drive due to the decline in the traditional saloon market. The previous Laguna was axed in this country in 2011 due to slow sales, while saloon rivals such as the Honda Accord have also bowed out of the market.

Here's a video

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.