GM Inside News Forum banner

R&T: All signs point to new Ford GT and 2016 return to Le Mans

6K views 42 replies 25 participants last post by  voyager 
#1 ·
http://www.roadandtrack.com/racing/...ans-program-and-ford-gt-revival?src=soc_fcbks

Ford has yet to confirm or deny any of its future sports-car racing plans, yet some recent indicators could point to an intriguing direction from the manufacturer.

Recent meetings between GTE constructors on 2016 rules, as witnessed at Circuit of The Americas, have included a representative affiliated with Ford, and based on additional feedback, a launch of the Ford GT 24 Hours of Le Mans project would coincide with the introduction of the successor to the Ford GT, which ceased production in 2007.

The last major question involves manufacturing and who'll run the program. Canada’s Multimatic is reportedly queued up to produce the GTE cars, and with strong ties between Ford, Chip Ganassi Racing, and Michael Shank Racing, the Blue Oval has excellent in-house options to spearhead the project.

As for the Earth-shaking probability that a new Ford GT production car is tied to all this, a likely time and place for the announcement of the grand plan would be the 2015 Detroit Auto Show. That's three months away. Things seem ready to get a LOT more interesting, folks.
Long story short, Ford has been participating in constructors meetings regarding 2016 rules, and Ford explicitly didn't deny they were planning on fielding an entry.

This is on top of tons of chatter from sources inside Ford that such a vehicle is imminent.

See less See more
Reactions: CaddyLac10
#4 ·
Nobody will realistically pay $150k+ for a Ford/Lincoln. I remember those GTs sitting in the showroom for years, and Lincoln realistically does not have the proper pedigree to move up that far. The "value" formula Lincoln has been using for decades is what works for them. Lincoln top-hats on corporate platforms, upgraded interiors, upgraded powertrains, upgraded suspensions, exclusive technology, and pricing them at mid-range is and has been successful. There's still a market for $50k full-size sedans and $55k performance coupes. Think 80s and 90s Lincoln. Lincoln should not try to move up like Caddy is doing. That's a total pipe dream.

Ford would be much better off building a T-Bird or a Bronco..... Something special that the masses can afford.

#7 ·
You do realize the reason those were sitting in show rooms is that the dealer was keeping it right? The GT was a lottery vehicle Ford allocated by drawing since every one built could be sold for MSRP or more easily (and to this day are bringing more than MSRP was back then)

That said, I'd rather see a Corvette type car than another GT as I can afford the Vette, the GT was out of my range.

#9 ·
A lot has changed since 2007 when the last GT model was introduced. Ford was a low rent brand and had virtually nothing other than the F-150.

Now it can command $50k plus for pickup trucks and over $30k for a mid-sized car that sells in record numbers.

Considering that Chevrolet will squander over a billion to develop a super expensive different mid-engines Shamvette that will sell over $100k, I think they'll have more of an issue than Ford. Chevrolet is still pretty low rent across the board.

#24 ·
Until one shows up in the fiberglass, the Zora is a unicorn.

Great news! Finally, some excitement from Ford. They need to race. The Ford GT is ingrained in Le Mans as much as any car.
You mean to tell me that if Ford decided to do this, you wouldn't be stoked?

For a while now I've been hoping Ford would release a proper Corvette (and Viper) fighting Thunderbird.
You & me both brother.

Oh, & pictures of the 2004-6 GT look great as computer backgrounds. :D

#14 ·
Great news! Finally, some excitement from Ford. They need to race. The Ford GT is ingrained in Le Mans as much as any car.

I just hope they turn into something that makes an impact throughout their brand. Heaven forbid we see another production GT or something special for Lincoln.

#21 ·
I'd love to see Ford back at Le Mans with some sort of 2 seater performance car. As much as I loved the newer GT, it would be pretty cool to see the T-bird come back as a more affordable 2 seater.

#22 ·
Guess all those people who are paying $250k+ for a Ford GT will feel pretty silly if/when the new and better one is released...

#26 · (Edited)
http://www.roadandtrack.com/racing/...ans-program-and-ford-gt-revival?src=soc_fcbks

Long story short, Ford has been participating in constructors meetings regarding 2016 rules, and Ford explicitly didn't deny they were planning on fielding an entry.

This is on top of tons of chatter from sources inside Ford that such a vehicle is imminent.
And you were the one who just recently said this was very unlikely, that Ford does not need the pedigree that comes from a high performance halo car. You stated in so many words that Ford is a highly respected world premier brand that can stand on its own and the money required to bring such a world dominating car to fruition would be best spent supporting the current image and direction of Ford and Lincoln. You claimed the brands are too far removed from a high performance image for Ford to do an exotic supercar today.

What say you now? :D I have to say I'm glad you are wrong. Maybe you're right that Ford doesn't need it but I'm glad you're wrong in that they are at least perusing it. I had a very good feeling this was in the pipeline based on the recent technological developments and filed patents. Like I said, it's been over ten years and Ford is in the best financial position it its recent history to pull this off with great success.

#28 ·
Hey, Jim Farley doesn't listen to everything I tell him.

Based on this, it's almost definitely going to happen, barring some cataclysm between now and then. Now the challenge is actually winning their class, and making the most out of it in advertising and marketing.

If all goes according to plan, this will premier shortly before the race:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/dec/19/tom-cruise-and-brad-pitt-go-like-hell

Tom Cruise as Carroll Shelby? Brad Pitt as Bruce McLaren?

Reactions: Speedjerk
#30 ·
Ford GT may return.....

Either I'm slipping or my circle has gotten smaller again because stuff like this usually winds up on my radar.

It doesn't strike me as something Ford today would be doing (unless Mark Fields quietly got the ball rolling on one when he took over), and Road and Track is far less sensationalistic than other car mags when it comes to future automotive product plans (ie: Car & Driver's 2nd gen based 6th gen Camaro and their latest mid engine Corvette anyone?).

Reactions?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/racing/...t-to-ford-le-mans-program-and-ford-gt-revival

#35 ·
Either I'm slipping or my circle has gotten smaller again because stuff like this usually winds up on my radar.

It doesn't strike me as something Ford today would be doing (unless Mark Fields quietly got the ball rolling on one when he took over), and Road and Track is far less sensationalistic than other car mags when it comes to future automotive product plans (ie: Car & Driver's 2nd gen based 6th gen Camaro and their latest mid engine Corvette anyone?).

Reactions?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/racing/...t-to-ford-le-mans-program-and-ford-gt-revival
Hi. Welcome to yesterday. :p:

#31 ·
Re: Ford GT may return.....

I say bring it. I'd love the Vette vs. Viper to become a 3-man race again. The GT is an AWESOME car.

Just don't put a 3.5 EcoBoost in it...

#38 ·

I say bring it. I'd love the Vette vs. Viper to become a 3-man race again. The GT is an AWESOME car.

Just don't put a 3.5 EcoBoost in it...
This won't be anywhere near a Corvette or Viper in price or performance. If I had to guess, figure a $200,000 - $250,000 base price, and LaFerrari/McLaren P1 levels of performance. You can also bet on some sort of hybrid powertrain. Heck, toss in the GT350's 5.2L flat plane crank V8, bolt on some big Ecoboost turbos, and let 'er rip.

Unlike the previous GT, there is no sense of gloom or imminent failure hanging over Ford's head this time. The company is the strongest and best positioned as it has been in history, with a bright future ahead.

#33 ·

Where have you all been? Not only is the GT to debut in January at the Detroit Auto Show but Ford is likely back at LeMans in 2016 or 2017 racing a version of it. This new is a few days old. Motor Trend had it earlier today as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.