Quick Spin: 2014 Mazda6 i Sport, 6-speed manual

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick Spin: 2014 Mazda6 i Sport, 6-speed manual

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Quick Spin: 2014 Mazda6 i Sport, 6-speed manual

Quick Spin: 2014 Mazda6 i Sport
    By Seyth Miersma
    Posted Feb 1 2013

In an automotive landscape dominated by platform sharing, technology exchange and any number of other cross-fertilization/cost-saving/amortization exercises, it's actually pretty rare that we get to drive a new car that is as "all-new" as this, the 2014 Mazda6. With brand-spanking new Skyactiv architecture throughout – engine, transmission, body and chassis all included – this 6 represents a new era of flexible production and cutting edge running gear for the happily lithe car company.

We'll get right down to the meat of it: The manual transmission is far better than the average do-it-yourself gearbox in this segment. Throws of the gearlever are light, short, and easy to put home with confidence. The clutch pedal, similarly, is very low-effort, but with a broad catch point that's simple to operate in every driving situation we encountered. This isn't a hewn-from-billet shifting experience, naturally, but it is a manual transmission that can be used with satisfaction in spirited driving, or mindlessly on the shopping run. The transmission is just perfectly suited to the power delivery of the smooth 2.5-liter motor, too.
    CONTINUE AT AUTOBLOG.COM
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Butz's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    DC Metro

Re: Quick Spin: 2014 Mazda6 i Sport, 6-speed manual

Can Mazda remain independent? I wonder how the small Japanese automakers remain profitable and well independent.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

I hope for Mazda's sake it sells well.
    Gone but never forgotten:

1988 Ford Thunderbird Sport
    1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Butz View Post
    Can Mazda remain independent? I wonder how the small Japanese automakers remain profitable and well independent.
    I have a feeling that Fiat-Chrysler may ink some sort of a deal with them in the coming year. Right now Fiat has to concentrate on fully merging Fiat with Chrysler, but once that is done (and Marchionne makes a decision on where the company will be headquartered, etc), I can imagine that there will be some sort of tie-up between the two. I don't know if there will be some sort of cash-swap or if it will be a product agreement only, but it's likely to happen. Over the last two years the rumors on Mazda (and Volvo and Suzuki) seeking some sort of cooperation with Fiat-Chrysler have popped up too often for there to not be some real plans going on behidn the scenes.

Also, Fiat-Chrysler aside, remember that Mazda is looking to license their SkyActiv technology to any partners they can, plus they have a hybrid agreement with Toyota.
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks

A turbo option would be all the more I'd ask. Source it from Ford maybe? Even the EB4 with "only" 240-250 horsepower would be more than enough for this light sedan.

Quote Originally Posted by tbirderic View Post
    I hope for Mazda's sake it sells well.
    Me too.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

It would be nice if GM could tie up with Mazda and get some spunk into their small car offerings.

GMI Europe Correspondent Bravada's Avatar
    Thanks

I drove the 6s (both diesel and gasoline, manual and automatic, sedan and wagon) on Saturday. I even started writing a long review but it got sucked into the bowels of Internet. At any rate, it has its shortcomings to my eyes, but it's a majorly fine car. I could see myself owning one if there were no more Saabs. It's certainly a much better proposition than a VW Passat (=standard fleet midsize car in Europe), and I hate to say it, but I liked the diesel-automatic sedan better than the Insignia, and certainly than the sluggish Malibu.

PS. I drove rather well-equipped cars and the photos from AutoBlog make me cry. Did anybody at Mazda think that the car is too good and they need to shoot themselves in the foot to make it a fairer contest? Really, with such looks, peformance and everything, as well as projected volumes due to Mazda's market outreach, they should be positioning the car as near-premium (as they do in Europe) rather than try to sell it on price.
    Last edited by Bravada; 02-04-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 AVALANCHE

I like the fact the entry 6 doesn't feel like a "POV PACK" car and I am happy that the "BASE" radio is DIN sized and I assume NOT integrated into the car so an aftermarket unit can be fitted which IMHO is a turn off with NON "my ford touch"/ MyLink optioned cars IE Cruze LS

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve333 View Post
    It would be nice if GM could tie up with Mazda and get some spunk into their small car offerings.
    GM's Australian branch Holden did a short stint with Mazda with the HJ Holden Premier sold as Mazda Roadpacer with a rotary under the hood.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/holden_...-12398614@N02/

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Where is the Zoom Zoom? 184 HP is entry level in today's mid size sedans. Malibu, Sonata/Optima and the Accord all have more std power and all other mid size rivals offer an optional turbo 4 or V6. The stick is nice but not nearly enough to make this a credible entry in the Zoom Zoom category.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Butz's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    DC Metro

Quote Originally Posted by Bravada View Post
    PS. I drove rather well-equipped cars and the photos from AutoBlog make me cry. Did anybody at Mazda think that the car is too good and they need to shoot themselves in the foot to make it a fairer contest? Really, with such looks, peformance and everything, as well as projected volumes due to Mazda's market outreach, they should be positioning the car as near-premium (as they do in Europe) rather than try to sell it on price.
    I wont pay premium money for a Mazda and I'm sure many feel the same.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member vanshmack's Avatar
    Thanks

If my wife and I were shopping for a midsized sedan in the mid-$20k price range, this is the car we would buy. Having sampled the major players in this segment, this Mazda would be the most likely candidate.

Mazda seems to exorcised the cheapness from the interior of this car, and has provided a large cabin that easily suits a family of 4. The exterior styling is much more mature than before and elevates Mazda out of also-ran status in this segment.

While the engine might not make one's heart race, having six-on-the-floor makes this a far more entertaining drive than a similar car with 100 more HP saddled with a slushbox automatic.

Time will tell if the general public discovers this gem of a car, but it definitely tops our list if we were shopping in this segment.
    Last edited by vanshmack; 02-04-2013 at 03:32 PM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ponchoman49 View Post
    Where is the Zoom Zoom? 184 HP is entry level in today's mid size sedans. Malibu, Sonata/Optima and the Accord all have more std power and all other mid size rivals offer an optional turbo 4 or V6. The stick is nice but not nearly enough to make this a credible entry in the Zoom Zoom category.
    Mazda's have never been about straight-line speed - it's about handling and fun-to-drive (like the Miata). One of the best cars I've ever driven was a friend's second-gen RX-7 (the one that kind of looked like a Porsche 928) - not especially fast but a great handling car and very fun-to-drive.

And remember, 184-hp in a Mazda 6 (which only weighs 3180 lbs - basically the same as a Chevrolet CRUZE!) means it's probably pretty peppy, especialy with a stick. I would definitely consider one of these (or a manual Fusion) in a few years as a DD, so when my kids reach driving age they will have a safe, midsize, economical older car - with a stick - to drive.
    Current cars:
    2009 Cadillac 1st-gen CTS wagon (a.k.a. SRX - AWD 3.6)
    2009 Ford Mustang GT
    2001 Jeep Cherokee

Past cars:
    2010 Cadillac CTS Wagon (AWD 3.0)
    2001 Olds Aurora (3.5)
    2008 Chrysler T&C
    2001 Pontiac Grand Am (2.4)
    1998 GMC Sierra
    1997 Chevrolet Malibu (3.1)
    1995 Honda Civic (1.6) - married into it
    1984 Pontiac 6000 STE - first car

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve333 View Post
    Buy Mazda roll out a whole new rung of sporty cars......change the name to Pontiac. Driving excitement becomes Zoom Zoom Zoom.

GMI Europe Correspondent Bravada's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Butz View Post
    I wont pay premium money for a Mazda and I'm sure many feel the same.
    Would you pay for a Mazda at all, though?

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information