Preview: 2014 Cadillac CTS - Page 4

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Preview: 2014 Cadillac CTS

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Re: Preview: 2014 Cadillac CTS

Quote Originally Posted by BBDOS CV8 View Post
    GM does not have the cash to splash around on multiple variants and build specifications especially when it's such an expensive derivative. That's the Solstice model: an expensive car never likely to be sold in large enough quantities to make a dollar.
    They have nothing today, especially not 8-speed AWD. If they did have money, there's more pressing concerns they need to meet - like a decent diesel for outside of North America for both ATS and CTS. I know guys on this site don't acknowledge the rest of the world much, but you can't ignore it if you want Cadillac to be a success. And ekeing a few dozen sales on an AWD TTV6 where they'll eat margin on engineering cost doesn't make sense.
    As of last month, GM had more than $31,000,000,000 in cash on hand (much of it from taxpayers' money, from the government bailout). So your assertion is wrong

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 SV6 Manual, Impulse Blue

How could you put a price on this Pug FaceAttachment 12608Would you look at that! he's sticking his tongue out at ya Happy accident. Was talking to someone who has seen the next HSV and it is Eye candy to use his words.

Quote Originally Posted by mrDenali View Post
    College is in the way of things :p Im not as privilaged as some people on here. But I do have a nice positive equity trade in and will be getting a slightly better job soon.

Im horrible with these things though. If I can afford a $30K car, I push myself to wait a little while longer for a $35K car thaf grabs more of my attention. Nonetheless, SS was such a downer, with its old powertrain, pug face and high price for what it is.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Last edited by Commodoreman2000; 03-19-2013 at 11:53 PM.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Two Words. Bean Counters. Maybe there is still much of Old GM that needs to grabbed by the scruff and turfed out the door. as I stated AWD should be developed for RWD platform passenger cars across multiple engine options and power outputs, as Europe have a little thing in Winter called SNOW.
    Where do they want to push The Standard of The World...... Yep Europe. I suppose at least Europe will get a diesel in ATS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    As of last month, GM had more than $31,000,000,000 in cash on hand (much of it from taxpayers' money, from the government bailout). So your assertion is wrong
    Last edited by Commodoreman2000; 03-20-2013 at 12:01 AM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) megeebee's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Commodoreman2000 View Post
    Two Words. Bean Counters. Maybe there is still much of Old GM that needs to grabbed by the scruff and turfed out the door. as I stated AWD should be developed for RWD platform passenger cars across multiple engine options and power outputs, as Europe have a little thing in Winter called SNOW.
    Where do they want to push The Standard of The World...... Yep Europe. I suppose at least Europe will get a diesel in ATS.
    ...... or, they will offer AWD when the in-house 8 speed transmission is brought to market.

On a related note:

Here is the link to the Cadillac Facebook page for the live reveal next Tuesday, March 25th at 7:15 PM EDT:

https://www.facebook.com/events/551274494895629/

Found at www.cadillac.com
    Last edited by megeebee; 03-20-2013 at 12:30 AM.

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    And how much is set up to pay invoices and cyclic bills, payroll, ongoing periodic payment which includes loans? How much is liabilities, how much is needed to pay tax and already committed to this and other projects? How much is committed to pay for Alpha tooling for CTS? You do know, most tooling companies offer financial arrangements to stagger payments, because othewise $500m of payments for a set of body tooling in one hit is too much for most to swallow? Even a company GM's size.

I would be surprised if the amount GM actually has as disposable, low-accountability cash and especially that leftover from the government bailout funds is more than a tenth of that figure. $31B sounds like a lot of money - but in the context of GM operations, it's not if they make strategic errors that have longterm consequences. They need to retain a certain liquidity to account for contingencies and unexpected blips - like a currency dive, an all too familiar experience with the $US of late. GM lost $30.9B in 2008. The globe is still not out of the woods in a financial sense, Europe is still a leech sucking off the profitability of multinational auto giants.

Can they engineer AWD into this model? Undoubtedly. But they don't even know what it's sales figures are going to be - this is essentially launching a new product, even if under the old model designation. Let's just postulate they got it wrong (we hope not). and sales don't reinvigorate up to at least the 40-50K mark. The last thing they would want to be doing, is throwing large sums of money at producing essentially 'cream off the top' products - when there's no pie!

And regardless of whether they can or not to placate some internet whiners, should they is another question. GM cannot afford any more Sigmas, or Kappas. Everything has to pay it's way. Hence the paucity of regular, sedan-based coupes. Low volume, fashion-sensitive vehicles where even best sellers drop like a stone in annual sales. It's a luxury GM can not indulge in - just yet.
    Last edited by BBDOS CV8; 03-20-2013 at 12:50 AM.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar ral1960's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

Quote Originally Posted by mrDenali View Post
    Nonetheless, SS was such a downer, with its old powertrain, pug face and high price for what it is.
    Kinda funny that the G8 has the best nose by far of any Commodore I've seen. No wonder they offered the leftovers for retrofitting.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

I am waiting with thinly veiled zeal for the unveiling of this next gen CTS, and the interior spy shots alone tell me that I should expect to be quite chuffed.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 sfbreh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,178 Times in 1,267 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    I am waiting with thinly veiled zeal for the unveiling of this next gen CTS, and the interior spy shots alone tell me that I should expect to be quite chuffed.
    Without getting too graphic, my pants just won't be the same after the reveal...

I'll probably have to throw them out.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Grandsport

Quote Originally Posted by LetsRace View Post
    The 3.6tt would destroy the 6 speed with all that torque. i don't think it will be long before GM offers the awd and their own 8 speed.
    What are you talking about? The 6 speed auto can handle way more than 430 foot pounds of torque.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

As someone said TTV6s will probably be a few % of CTS sales. And AWD, a few % of a few % doesn't make sense. I bet they sell hardly any CTS in the snowbelts, anyway - and those guys have an Escalade or SRX for the blizzards.
    85% of the luxury market in areas like the northeast is. AWD and buyers want power plants like the 420 hp v6.

Sorry my friend but this 420 tt v6 only in RWD is a huge mistake and will need to be corrected in time.

AWD to get the volume is a family requirement otherwise as a husband you are labelled a man who doesn't care about the safety of his kids...

Bull s it ? Of course...but that's the dealeo...

GM needs to get with the program
    Last edited by JBsZ06; 03-20-2013 at 03:59 AM.

News Contributor Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 834 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Cadillac ATS Premium 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by zinner View Post
    Yes I know. It's still a 2 liter, turbo engine operating with all the same tech features.
    No, the LTG shares almost NOTHING with the LHU. Both are very different.
    Current:

2014 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Past:

2013 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection -> LEMON

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ V6

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

To paraphrase Doc Emmett Brown " Pants, where we're going we don't need pants!"
    Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    Without getting too graphic, my pants just won't be the same after the reveal...

I'll probably have to throw them out.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    ...... or, they will offer AWD when the in-house 8 speed transmission is brought to market.
    If that is indeed GM's plan, they are keeping their cards close to their chest on this one. I personally await to see if it has been engineered RHD as it will be another model closer to setting up in Aus. Caddy need IMO 4 models to even consider launching into the Aus market.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Z06 Carbon. SS Blue

We all know this engine was coming.

Do you suppose it will find its way into a C7 engine bay in the future when the CAFE mandated mph requirements become a reality?

Thanks

Neat! Now, if GM could nudge the 2.0L closer to 300HP and the SIDI 3.6L V6 to closer to 340HP (in Cadillac applications only) without major consequences in fuel economy and durability, we'd go from 'neat' to 'perfect'

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information