Opinion: This may be Lincoln's last shot at revival

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinion: This may be Lincoln's last shot at revival

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Opinion: This may be Lincoln's last shot at revival

This may be Lincoln's last shot at revival
    December 4, 2012
    Daniel Howes

Ford Motor Co.'s umpteenth rebranding of its hapless Lincoln division, poster child for an auto industry also-ran, is one of two things: a corporate conversion in Dearborn or the triumph of hope over experience.

But it can't be both.

The brand-meisters promise a new image and a smart website, a sufficient (if undefined) financial commitment and peerless product execution, a new customer experience and fancy gifts upon taking delivery from Lincoln Motor Co.'s suite of new Lincolns that will, really will, be different from their blue-collar Blue Oval parentage.

They promise. There will be four new vehicles over the next four years, starting with the Ford Fusion-derived MKZ. There will be fewer dealers theoretically selling more Lincolns across the United States. And come 2014, the brand will arrive in three of China's largest cities — Beijing, Guangzhou and Shanghai, the first step in demi-globalization of a domestic brand.

How Lincoln can become a credible American alternative to BMW or Lexus or even Cadillac after decades of drift, badge engineering and half-hearted attempts at rebirth is a mystery, even more so because members of the German-controlled luxury club don't admit new members casually. If at all.

CONTINUE READING AT: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...12040321/1148/
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Re: Opinion: This may be Lincoln's last shot at revival

I read a review with pics on the MKZ and it looks like a complete turd! If this is the best Ford can do, they might is well close the door on Lincoln. The rear profile looked terrible, the front still looks like a Bayleen whale with a happy face. Check it out on Autoblog.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Unless they can change the design language and differentiate Lincoln from Ford better this will continue to be an exercise in futility.

One of the comments from the link states how mainstream brands (Toyota, VW) share common parts underneath with their luxury brands (Lexus, Audi) and the general thought is this is a part of what helps the brands success because the parts shared are not seen. I think its absolutely correct. My only gripe is that its 2012, and now you get it???

EDIT:
    And for their promise to deliver more product I think I've heard that one before. Let me call my local Mercury dealership to ask them when theirs is due for arrival.
    Last edited by Parlay84; 12-08-2012 at 05:07 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Ford would be better off using their Aussie platforms (Falcon) and make RWD vehicles. Change the naming scheme back to Zephyr, Continental, Mark X, etc

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Even though I'm a GM fan I really don't want to see another American brand disappear. But looking at this new MKZ, well I'm just not holding my breath for their revival. This car looks uninspired. The side profile screams blandmobile to me and the rest is eh kinda cool, now. Even in person I wasnt saying "oh I gotta have one". Sad.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

I have recently came under the same impression, and have been lambasted for my thoughts which are not utterly divergent.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

4 new vehicles over 4 years isn't exactly a product blitz that will quickly change the face of Lincoln. Lincoln will continue to sell the same old, old people cars along side their new product - I don't think the image will change very quickly doing that.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    4 new vehicles over 4 years isn't exactly a product blitz that will quickly change the face of Lincoln. Lincoln will continue to sell the same old, old people cars along side their new product - I don't think the image will change very quickly doing that.
    I just hope that the headlines are not revised to say the following within 2 years.

" Lincoln Too Little Too Late How the great American luxury icon went the way of Oldsmobile "

Thanks

I believe that Lincoln could be turned around and pretty quickly if Ford really committed to building a brand identity for Lincoln and providing the division with great product. From what I have seen so far, that big buildup a week or ago or so for what amounted to be a name change and retrospective of the company's past, I do not think that Ford is quite there yet.

If Ford does put their all into (1) defining what Lincoln is and (2) building a portfolio of superb vehicles that support that identity, I believe that the car-buying public will quickly take notice.

Just look at what the original CTS did for Cadillac and the current Optima did for Kia. I think that both of these cars were so great, so innovative that they made consumers want to learn more about them and buy them- even customers who had never thought about Cadillac or Kia. I also feel that both of these vehicles led a reniassance for each of their prospective brands.

My advise for Lincoln would be:

* Study the reniassance of Cadillac, Kia and Hyundai.

* Stop trying to make a big deal out of nothing just for PR- It makes you look like you have no idea how to make Lincoln relevent again.

* Decide on a direction- preferrably Sport-Luxury and make sure that all products support this direction.

* Put all effort toward product first then unveil it without the hype- let your hard work on product speak for itself through the excellent product you have created (see Kia Optima for how this is done). This will both show humility for how you have allowed Lincoln to become so uncompetitive and irrelevent for so long and also show that you believe in your product so much that it does not need hype to sell.
    Last edited by brian5o; 12-08-2012 at 10:24 PM.
    Previous Rides:

2005 Pontiac Sunfire 1SV 2.2L Ecotec- 5M and 27 avg mpg in combined driving!
    1995 Chevrolet S10 Extended Cab 4.3L V6- 5M
    1988 Ford Mustang SSP (X-FHP) 5.0L V8- 5M
    1965 Ford Mustang Coupe 289-2V- 3A
    1968 Ford Mustang Coupe 289-2V- 3A

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

I would love Lincoln to utilize Ford Australia's RWD platforms, combined with Lincoln Drive Control Ecoboost engines, super lux interiors....I'd love that. Will it happen? Nope. That's a true shame.

News Contributor
    Thanks

Like me and 2b2 have said, Ford should start pumping billions into Lincoln after Mulally is out the door(if it's still alive).

$1 Billion is a very weak investment considering the shape Lincoln is in. Ford knows that. That makes me question their commitment to Lincoln.

2b2
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Parlay84 View Post
    ...And for their promise to deliver more product I think I've heard that one before. Let me call my local Mercury dealership to ask them when theirs is due for arrival.
    2020!!!

imho/hope

Quote Originally Posted by nruggiero View Post
    Like me and 2b2 have said, Ford should start pumping billions into Lincoln after Mulally is out the door(if it's still alive)...
    I don't remember saying that so much
    plus my opinion has been shifting this last week.
    I'm thinking more of a pay-go arrangement
    sorta
    not philosophically but working out much that way
    crossreference
    "One useless man is called a disgrace, two become a law firm, and three or more become a Congress."

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

All of the current Jaguars and LandRover's are Ford (owned) designs. Never understood why they couldn't do the same with Lincoln. It is sad because the new MKZ doesn't scream luxury to me, it looks like it's looking for kryll!
    Truckin!

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FG Falcon Utility

Quote Originally Posted by Ambalanche View Post
    All of the current Jaguars and LandRover's are Ford (owned) designs. Never understood why they couldn't do the same with Lincoln. It is sad because the new MKZ doesn't scream luxury to me, it looks like it's looking for kryll!
    Something to do with an agreement to not immediately copy the brand you've just sold?
    The DEW platform reportedly bled red ink everywhere and with the closing of Wixom, so too the end of DEW.
    And people harking back to that revolutionary Lincoln LS?, the thing was panned by all except LS club members.

Look, Lincoln has as many chances as it takes, the market will wait until Lincoln delivers vehicles that luxury buyers want, if they keep delivering luke warm models, then Lincoln will receive luke warm sales, it's that simple.
    So what do people want, lincoln to invest $11 billion like Volvo with very little chance of seeing and appreciable return?
    Or are we talking some more meaningful number between a million and five million?

Now that Lincoln has a design studio established, I'd say the thaw on Lincoln funding is beginning, there's no way you'd let Ford styists develop Lincolns but Wolff has a good grasp of how to shift Lincoln from where it is to where Cadillac is heading, he just needs to evolve the thinking of his superiors. I almost guarantee ther will be another watershed moment sometime next year as the brass finally get on board more revolutionary ideas...

The new vehicle time frame is not so wonderful, new MKC is 12 months away, next MKX two years away
    and new MKS nearly three years away...That IMO needs to change with more fill in vehicles in between.
    Last edited by jpd80; 12-08-2012 at 10:45 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 Mercedes-Benz C320 4Matic

Same crap. Different name.
    Nobody cares because it's the same crap with a different name.
    I got tired of waiting for GM to make a FWD convertible.

2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Sport Spyder
    2005 Mercedes-Benz C320 4Matic

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information