Official: Redesigned North American Fiesta to Sport 1.0-Liter EcoBoost - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Official: Redesigned North American Fiesta to Sport 1.0-Liter EcoBoost

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Re: Official: Redesigned North American Fiesta to Sport 1.0-Liter EcoBoost

Eco boost sounds better than Eco tech otherwise no difference.

I have yet to see any difference other than smaller than usual motors with turbos getting a lot of press..

Kudos to ford marketing.

Here is a car with 3 cylinder turbo...reminds me of fiats twin air 500.....

Great minds think a like..

I sure as he'll don't want either yet I hope it sells well

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mjd1001 View Post
    The Fiesta is really the only car that ford makes with their new corporate "face" that I like. Add to the fact that this car should get great economy, and it is the one Ford I'd consider buying. Can't wait to hear more details.
    It's much better here, where there's just the big main grill and the vents underneath, compared to many current Fords (C-Max, Focus, I'm talkin' about you) that have the big main grill, the vents below, and a little mustache of a grill above the main grill. Too busy. Odd. Indecisive. Bad.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Al465 View Post
    Please, someone tell me what makes Ford's Ecoboost so special? For all I know, it's turbo-charging with direct fuel injection. Why does Ford feel it's so special when VW and GM had this many years before Ford. Someone, please clarify this for me, because I want to know why Ford feels their Ecoboost is so special.
    it's kind of like Apple stuff...they're definitely not the first but feel they're special cuz they made it popular, or trendy, or something
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC lol internet's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 GTO

I am absurdly excited about this engine.
    /o/

"Who speaks of Victory? To Endure is all.''

Thanks
    My Ride
    CTA trains and buses

Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    It makes them special because Ford was successful in marketing, making the customer aware of efficiency possibilities with gasoline engines , thereby creating a demand for them

Well put, akbar.

As Al465 mentioned, Ecoboost is indeed turbocharging combined with direct injection in 4-cycle spark ignition engines. Marketing promotion is precisely where Ford really excelled with the 'Ecoboost' moniker - conveying the advantages of these technologies better than anyone else.

Technically, the Ecoboost engine lineup doesn't represent any significant advancement over similar powerplants from Volkswagen, General Motors, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Mazda that preceded it.
    My modes of transportation: CTA 'L' & buses, Metra, Pace bus, rental cars (usually GM), taxicabs, bicycling, and walking.
    Member of the "I will never purchase a new car" club.
    Get the facts about ethanol and biofuels in the USA!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 igor's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roy219 View Post

Well put, akbar.

As Al465 mentioned, Ecoboost is indeed turbocharging combined with direct injection in 4-cycle spark ignition engines. Marketing promotion is precisely where Ford really excelled with the 'Ecoboost' moniker - conveying the advantages of these technologies better than anyone else.

Technically, the Ecoboost engine lineup doesn't represent any significant advancement over similar powerplants from Volkswagen, General Motors, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Mazda that preceded it.
    I think there is a second innovation beyond marketing. The fact that Ford is systematically introducing Ecoboost engines into all vehicles. The turbo engines are not some haphazard bunch scattered among potpourri of models. There is now an expectation that any model can and will get a smaller turbo engine. That is quite a change of mindset for a car maker / consumer. It's like saying every car will have convertible / wagon / hybrid / gold-plated version. The fact that all those things were done before fades in the face of a strategy of making this version an option on ALL models.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme4x4 View Post
    The difference is in the software that controls everything for the engine. This allows torque/horsepower to be optimized, along with fuel economy, much more easily. It also allows these turbocharged engines to easily run on regular fuel instead of the premium that they usually require.

You don't have to like Fords engines, but you do have to admit that Ford has made the DI turbocharged engine mainstream.

^^^ There is much in your post that is subjective, so be prepared to be called on it.
    While Ford did make ECU advancements with the EB engines they have no inherent advantages in any way over competing direct injection forced induction engines. Also the last part of your post is at best disingenuous because VW/ Audi truly made direct injection forced induction engines mainstream, and they far preceded Ford in the debut of these type of engines.

Quote Originally Posted by roy219 View Post

Well put, akbar.

Absolutely correct, and I emphatically agree that Ford's marketing and proliferation in their lineup of these engines is far more notable than any actual engineering advancement with the Ecoboost engines.

Quote Originally Posted by igor View Post
    I think there is a second innovation beyond marketing. The fact that Ford is systematically introducing Ecoboost engines into all vehicles. The turbo engines are not some haphazard bunch scattered among potpourri of models. There is now an expectation that any model can and will get a smaller turbo engine. That is quite a change of mindset for a car maker / consumer. It's like saying every car will have convertible / wagon / hybrid / gold-plated version. The fact that all those things were done before fades in the face of a strategy of making this version an option on ALL models.
    You could say this in response to the other members of the big 3 but the reality is that VW/ Audi preceded Ford as far as proliferation, and utilization of this engine type globally.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 igor's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    You could say this in response to the other members of the big 3 but the reality is that VW/ Audi preceded Ford as far as proliferation, and utilization of this engine type globally.
    True .. but I do not think it stuck to the extent VWs TDI, or Ford Ecoboost stuck in person's consciousness. I guess in that respect we are back to marketing. The VW gasoline turbos lay more silent, with less visible branding, they are omnipresent, but I think they escape the awareness - so yeah .. back to marketing.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Truthfully the Fiesta needs this kind of press if it is to not be considered a flop in relation to the class that it is in. I sincerely hope that this new engine variant produces sales of a magnitude far better than current sales.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbee60 View Post
    A smart move to make the Fiesta stand out again. Unanswered questions are whether that six speed auto will be a conventional one or the much maligned DCT and when this will go on sale. Ford seems to be announcing this very early given the 2013's just hit the lot and announcing a MCE with 9-10 months left in the selling year may make people wait versus buy. If they had announced this just before the Detroit show with EPA mileage testing in place, then the announcement would make more sense as they could roll out the 2014's in April or May and not skip a beat.
    Actually Fiesta will be a very early 14. We just had to commit to balance out numbers for 2013's (January/Febuary production), so the 14 Fiesta isn't far away, and I assume will start in March. Mustang is the other one thats starting early (January production).

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 X6

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme4x4 View Post
    The difference is in the software that controls everything for the engine. This allows torque/horsepower to be optimized, along with fuel economy, much more easily. It also allows these turbocharged engines to easily run on regular fuel instead of the premium that they usually require.

You don't have to like Fords engines, but you do have to admit that Ford has made the DI turbocharged engine mainstream.

^^^ There is much in your post that is subjective, so be prepared to be called on it.
    It's not the software that is special it's the direct injection which allows ford to use less fuel plus the turbo charging which increases the horse power and torque. That is how ford gets 265 hp from a 4 cylinder engine in a taurus, they were totally engulfed in developing this technology and after many years they are ahead of the rest as far as wringing every hp from small engines.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    07 Corvette Convertible-Cruze

I don't believe Ford should be given all that credit, except for better marketing, given the fact that the Cobalt 2L, four cylinder had 260hp many years ago, and Ford has only caught up to this engine. I think this Ford Ecoboost should be rename to Ecoboast.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by TheBUC View Post
    It's not the software that is special it's the direct injection which allows ford to use less fuel plus the turbo charging which increases the horse power and torque. That is how ford gets 265 hp from a 4 cylinder engine in a taurus, they were totally engulfed in developing this technology and after many years they are ahead of the rest as far as wringing every hp from small engines.
    I am not sure if you are serious or if you are directly related to a Mr. Farley over at Ford. I have no idea what 2.0T EB you are speaking of but the one in the Taurus has 240 hp, and truthfully it is easily exceeded by GM's 2.0T (259 hp) as we speak for output.

You may not believe this but Mitsubishi's 4G63 as utilized in the FQ400 with port injection had a specific output of ~ 200 hp/ liter , and no Ecoboost is even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Al465 View Post
    I don't believe Ford should be given all that credit, except for better marketing, given the fact that the Cobalt 2L, four cylinder had 260hp many years ago, and Ford has only caught up to this engine. I think this Ford Ecoboost should be rename to Ecoboast.
    Especially if you consider that GM preceded Ford's debut of the technology in the US market, and VW/ Audi far preceded them as well.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 iluvcamaros's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

I don't know the sales numbers, but I feel the Sonic is at the front of its class.

EcoBoost is really just successful because it is a clever name applied across the majority of Ford's lineup. GM is instead gradually introducing DI/Turbos across their engine lineup without fanfare. I dunno how important a brand like EcoBoost is in today's market. I think that a brand like Northstar definitely had potential to generate sales once upon a time. I'm not sure that EcoBoost really matters that much nowadays. I mean I'm sure it helps, but I think it mostly just sounds nice in a commercial or coming out of a salesman's mouth. The important thing is that the car is competitive MPG, quality, and design wise with its peers.

2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

2004 Buick LeSabre Limited Celebration Edition
    2001 Buick Regal LS
    2001 Chevrolet S-10 4WD

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by igor View Post
    I have to say that I am waiting for the EB engines to make it to the Fiesta / Focus. I will likely be car shopping Summer 2014 .. so I am surveying the options. This improves the Fiesta's standing by a bunch. This engine will likely have it surpass the Fit to slot behind the TDI VWs. Focus - it's your turn.
    Of the EU type fuel frugal gasoline vehicles recognized in the US

500 and 500C, 2012 onwards 0.9 TwinAir Turbo 85 Dualogic SAT5 60 mpg(US) combined using NEDC test cycle

fortwo coupé, Model Year 2012 fortwo coupé 71 bhp mhd with Softip & 15" rear wheels 5 AMT 56.1 mpg(US) combined using NEDC test cycle

Fiesta, Model Year Post 2013¼ 1.0 EcoBoost (100PS) Stop-Start M5 54.7 mpg(US) combined using NEDC test cycle

Yaris, MY2012 1.0 VVT-i 5-speed Manual 5MT 58.9 49.1 mpg(US) combined using NEDC test cycle

the Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost (100PS) Stop-Start is clearly the largest vehicle in this fuel economy range.

The introduction of this combination of technologies raises the fuel economy stakes for ALL OEMs active in the US market with the inclusion of the Fusion/C-Max Hybrids and the C-Max Energi.

I suspect this will up the anty forcing VW/Audi, Hyundai/Kia, Mazda, and now Honda with their newly announced 1.6L iDTEC diesel to consider their diesel options ... potentially into the 60s mpg(US) combined NEDC range, maybe higher.

OTH, one could always stick withy 40 mpg(US) highway offerrings.
    It is important what WE use as our "moral compass" and ...
    the "measuring stick" chosen for judging progress/success as well.

44 mpg by 2010 ... 2013?

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information