Official: Redesigned North American Fiesta to Sport 1.0-Liter EcoBoost

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Official: Redesigned North American Fiesta to Sport 1.0-Liter EcoBoost

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 336 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ford anticipates the engine will be the most fuel efficient non-hybrid in the U.S.
    www.FordInsideNews.com
    November 19, 2012
    By: Nick Saporito

For months Ford Motor Company has been stating that their revolutionary three-cylinder engine would eventually find its way to the North American market. Well, Ford made the 1.0-liter EcoBoost office for North Americans today, announcing that the engine will launch in a redesigned Fiesta for the 2014 model year.

In the announcement Ford states that the engine will generate a projected 123 horsepower and 140 foot-pounds of torque thanks to the engine's turbocharger and direct fuel injection. Finalized fuel economy figures are not yet known as the engine has not been tested, however Ford asserted that the engine should propel the new Fiesta to hold the title as the most fuel efficient non-hybrid vehicle in the United States. The Fiesta with EcoBoost will be one of four additional models in the Ford lineup next year to achieve above 40 mpg highway.

Further details on the new engine were not divulged, however Ford eluded that the 1.0-liter EcoBoost will be optional on the Fiesta, following the trend of the company's entire EcoBoost strategy. No pricing information was released, however in most applications the EcoBoost engine option is around $995. Expect the 1.0-liter to be mated to either a six-speed automatic or six-speed manual transmission. Ford's start-stop technology, currently on the new Escape and Fusion, is also a likely addition with the automatic.

Read More...
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Re: Official: Redesigned North American Fiesta to Sport 1.0-Liter EcoBoost

A smart move to make the Fiesta stand out again. Unanswered questions are whether that six speed auto will be a conventional one or the much maligned DCT and when this will go on sale. Ford seems to be announcing this very early given the 2013's just hit the lot and announcing a MCE with 9-10 months left in the selling year may make people wait versus buy. If they had announced this just before the Detroit show with EPA mileage testing in place, then the announcement would make more sense as they could roll out the 2014's in April or May and not skip a beat.
    Current Driveway Fleet:
    2014 Cruze Diesel
    2013 Sonic LTZ HB
    2008 Colorado CrewCab Z71 2WD
    2011 Cruze LT2 RS (college duty in Florida)
    2003 Porsche Boxster S (sunny days and track events)
    April 2012 to May 2014 - Chevy Volt - 3 tanks of gas in 12.2K miles. Traded for Cruze Diesel for new commute

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

The Fiesta is really the only car that ford makes with their new corporate "face" that I like. Add to the fact that this car should get great economy, and it is the one Ford I'd consider buying. Can't wait to hear more details.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) AMERICA 123's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbee60 View Post
    A smart move to make the Fiesta stand out again. Unanswered questions are whether that six speed auto will be a conventional one or the much maligned DCT and when this will go on sale. Ford seems to be announcing this very early given the 2013's just hit the lot and announcing a MCE with 9-10 months left in the selling year may make people wait versus buy. If they had announced this just before the Detroit show with EPA mileage testing in place, then the announcement would make more sense as they could roll out the 2014's in April or May and not skip a beat.
    Yes..... that timing thing ...... interesting.

Probably has at least something to do with Spark / Spark EV and Sonic - it's kinda' like the new Prius PIP rumors now swirling around.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo White

Quote Originally Posted by mjd1001 View Post
    The Fiesta is really the only car that ford makes with their new corporate "face" that I like. Add to the fact that this car should get great economy, and it is the one Ford I'd consider buying. Can't wait to hear more details.
    IMO the catfish face is flat out fugly no matter what car it is on and can't see myself EVER getting used to it.

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

Move over Prius c, theres a new king!
    Have sales for GM not seen in THIS POST? Email Me

Go Tigers! BCS Orange Bowl Champs!

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

The Current Ford Design them looks too much like minivans for my liking. The Technology is amazing though in the Ford band. From Hybrids to powertrains, Ford is probably leading right now.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    07 Corvette Convertible-Cruze

I don't think Ford is leading right now. If you are looking at today, GM is leading, and if what you are basing Ford's lead by looking at their future future products, then you should look at the other companies future products. GM also has many great products that's in the works right now.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    The Current Ford Design them looks too much like minivans for my liking. The Technology is amazing though in the Ford band. From Hybrids to powertrains, Ford is probably leading right now.
    I don't think you can really say anyone is leading now, there are too many area and too many variables that matter to differnet people. To me, in 2 huge markets (Mid sized cars and full sized trucks), I personally wouldn't say Ford is leading in either of those areas. For Full sized trucks, I think currently the Dodge with the 8 speed automatic and the pentastar is top dog. As far as mid-size cars go, I would have to say Honda (with both their new V6 and 4 cylinder) are at the top. Cases can be made for a lot of different automakers though.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

What is GM leading in besides The Volt?
    No real hybrid, clunky engines like the 1.8L, missing DI technology in the 1.4LT, no Sport Models or Coupes or Hatches for their Compact or subcompacts.
    GM isn't leading, they're sleeping.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    07 Corvette Convertible-Cruze

Please, someone tell me what makes Ford's Ecoboost so special? For all I know, it's turbo-charging with direct fuel injection. Why does Ford feel it's so special when VW and GM had this many years before Ford. Someone, please clarify this for me, because I want to know why Ford feels their Ecoboost is so special.

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Quote Originally Posted by mjd1001 View Post
    I don't think you can really say anyone is leading now, there are too many area and too many variables that matter to differnet people. To me, in 2 huge markets (Mid sized cars and full sized trucks), I personally wouldn't say Ford is leading in either of those areas. For Full sized trucks, I think currently the Dodge with the 8 speed automatic and the pentastar is top dog. As far as mid-size cars go, I would have to say Honda (with both their new V6 and 4 cylinder) are at the top. Cases can be made for a lot of different automakers though.
    Quote Originally Posted by steve333 View Post
    What is GM leading in besides The Volt?
    No real hybrid, clunky engines like the 1.8L, missing DI technology in the 1.4LT, no Sport Models or Coupes or Hatches for their Compact or subcompacts.
    GM isn't leading, they're sleeping.
    Here is where GM leads
    1. V8's.. Best bar non with a new ones coming (Compact size, gobs of power, cheap, and reliable)
    2. Volt-No questions
    3. II Mode
    4. Sonic-Best in class Chassis
    5. Cruze-By far the best compact out there,
    6. My Link
    7. ATS
    8. CUE
    9. V6
    10. 6 speeds Autos
    11. Crossovers- ACaddia/Traverse/etc, Equinox/Terrain/ Captiva -Captiva in price value
    12. Onstar

Ecotecs may not be 'smooth' but they are super reliable and lay down pawa unlike any other 4 banger.. They have a very good torque curve.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport

The difference is in the software that controls everything for the engine. This allows torque/horsepower to be optimized, along with fuel economy, much more easily. It also allows these turbocharged engines to easily run on regular fuel instead of the premium that they usually require.

You don't have to like Fords engines, but you do have to admit that Ford has made the DI turbocharged engine mainstream.

^^^ There is much in your post that is subjective, so be prepared to be called on it.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Al465 View Post
    Please, someone tell me what makes Ford's Ecoboost so special? For all I know, it's turbo-charging with direct fuel injection. Why does Ford feel it's so special when VW and GM had this many years before Ford. Someone, please clarify this for me, because I want to know why Ford feels their Ecoboost is so special.
    It makes them special because Ford was successful in marketing, making the customer aware of efficiency possibilities with gasoline engines , thereby creating a demand for them

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 igor's Avatar
    Thanks

I have to say that I am waiting for the EB engines to make it to the Fiesta / Focus. I will likely be car shopping Summer 2014 .. so I am surveying the options. This improves the Fiesta's standing by a bunch. This engine will likely have it surpass the Fit to slot behind the TDI VWs. Focus - it's your turn.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information