GM Inside News Forum banner

NYIAS 2014: 2015 Hyundai Sonata

4K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  Torches & Pitchforks 
#1 ·
2015 Hyundai Sonata
Genesis-gilded, Nürburgring-nurtured.
April 16, 2014
caranddriver.com

This morning, on the first media day of the New York auto show, Hyundai took the wraps off the 2015 Sonata. If this car looks familiar, however, it’s likely because you’re an avid follower of this site, and read last month’s preview of the Korean-market Sonata, when that model bowed. What’s changed for American consumption? Well, not a ton.
Read the full article and view pictures of the 2015 Sonata at:
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2015-hyundai-sonata-photos-and-info-news-1

#4 ·
Although this looks good, especially the aggressive quad-tipped exhaust-sporting Sonata Sport 2.0T, it seems softer overall than the current one. I think I want the new nose with the existing A-pillar on back. None of this comes as a surprise though. The 2011 Sonata was the first contemporary vehicle in the segment to drastically improve the standard for styling in this class. The 1986 Taurus was the last time it happened, although the latter even more so for the industry.

The main requirements for improvement will be overall refinement of the vehicle, as it already has the spec sheet and styling. The 35 mpg highway for the current 2.4L was segment leading at its debut, although now it's also-ran status against the 36 mpg Malibu, 36 mpg Accord, 37 mpg Fusion, 38 mpg Altima, 38 mpg 6.....you get the idea. I'm sure we're looking at 36-37 mpg for this new version, although I'd try for 38 mpg if I were Hyundai. The 33 mpg with the turbo might be nice to get to 35 mpg to eclipse the Accord V-6 as optional engine segment leader for highway economy.

#10 · (Edited)
You have eyes that need Checking, This is a properly styled Sedan

Inside out

Nothing inside that says 'insert radio here'

Say what you will, the Malibu is not bad, and when you drive it back to back with the others, it hits you... Whoa!! Its a nice and well executed vehicle.. Very quite and an absolutely very competent and well sorted driving car..

As a daily car to live with, its more solid than, Camry, Sonata, Accord...

It drives sportier, is quiter offers more technology.. certainly has the best seats by far in its class. And you will not call it anything else but Malibu. My only beef with it, if I was shopping this segment is the length, I would probably compare it to Fusion, & accord

#15 ·
I can compare/contrast the Malibu & Sonata from direct experience: I've got an '11 Sonata to replace my '08 Malibu (after my Malibu's 6-speed trans went in for the fourth time). I've got a 6'2" 14-year old with size 14 shoes. Interior room is an issue for me. The Sonata does this as good as anyone. It's what made me look at the car in the first place. Styling is subjective, but personally, I like the car other than the "melted grill". Interior is nice, other than the climate control isn't very 'mature looking'. The Sonata has a comparable ride to the Malibu. The Sonata has sloppier eletronic steering with the factory settings. It is adjustable at the dealership--and it tightened things right up for me. The Sonata is WAY NOISIER than the Malibu. It's like the car isn't insulated at all. The Sonata's factory-tires I replaced at 28k -- not because they didn't have tread -- but because they didn't grip the snow and ice AT ALL. Worst tire I've ever experienced -- by far. The Sonata's 2.4l is flat-out-wonderful. Almost 200 horses - and I get *great* has mileage. Car is rated at 35mpg freeway. I've hit 34mpg, loaded, with winter-gas. Now, all that being said, I've driven an Impala (as a loaner for week) and the Impala is a nicer car (and the 2.5l is buttery smooth with plenty of power) -- but isn't targeting the same marketspace.

#21 ·
Thanks for posting, and for the mini-review.

I have friends that have had a wonderful experience with the Hyundai Elantra, but my sister had an awful experience with her Hyundai Accent. Then again, my Dad and I had great experiences with the 2000 and 2001 Impala, respectively but my sister and brother had awful experienced with their Chevy Aveos. (Worst of all, fuel economy - my brother had the manual transmission and couldn't break 30 mpg if he drove faster than 55 mph. My sister never got better than 32 mpg under any circumstances. The Impalas both got better highway fuel economy on long trips. I'm not kidding.)

#18 ·
As the owner of a 2011, the 2015 doesn't make me want to rush out and buy the new one right away. I don't dislike it, but I don't think it's as distinctive as the 2011 was. Seems like Hyundai wants to go for bigger volume with a more mainstream look. If I were to buy a midsize sedan today, it would probably be a Mazda 6. Just wish the Skyactiv-D diesel would come out already.

#19 ·
They need to do the famous parking lot scene commercial with the woman coming out to the attendant to pick up her car, a 2015 silver Sonata. The attendant then goes out in a crowded parking lot full of silver 2015 Chrysler 200's, 2015 Sonata's, Subaru Lagacy's, Ford Fusions and 2015 Camry's. His look of confusion is apparent. Right next to the woman looking for her cloned generic car out the door comes a nicely dressed business man. Another attendant comes out. Malibu please. And up drives a beautiful flashy red LTZ with optional 19 rims. Now that would really piss in there cheerios.

#22 ·
As a lease car.....the Hyundai 2.0T smokes the Malibu in every way...much faster and a way better financial lease deal than any Malibu I've driven. Looks are always an opinion but most people seem to prefer the Sonata premium as the most modern looking of this group. All but the Fusion is trying to catch up. And the Ford is a real sled in performance.

#25 ·
While it was good to tone done the excesses of the previous gen Sonata design-wise, the designers went too far the other way and turned the current Sonata into a bland-mobile (clean lines don't have to = bland).

These are supposed to be renderings of the face-lifted Sonata (according to Hyundai-blog).

Pretty substantial and I'd say maybe too good for the Sonata (would be more fitting on something like the G80), but then again, maybe the G80 will get a refresh that holds more true to the renderings as the mock-up (below) doesn't look nearly as good.

#28 · (Edited)
Yeah the Accent face on the current Sonata wouldnt look too great.

The core design elements from that Accent are off of Audi.

Hyundai needs to ditch this design scheme for something different, though on lesser cars buyers probably wouldn't mind a pseudo Audi style. Personally I think the new Elantra, Accent, and Sonata all look duller and more derivative than their predecessors.

Even the old Accent front end was nicer than the ghastly Audi grill on the new one.

#31 ·
You shouldn't let your baby play in the middle of the street, where toothy grilles roam, like the buffalo of olde on the prairie. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.