Next Porsche 911 to Launch with 7-Speed Manual Trans (Yes, the Clutch-Pedal Kind)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next Porsche 911 to Launch with 7-Speed Manual Trans (Yes, the Clutch-Pedal Kind)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Next Porsche 911 to Launch with 7-Speed Manual Trans (Yes, the Clutch-Pedal Kind)

Didn't see this yet in any forums and thought to post...

Confirmed: Next Porsche 911 to Launch with 7-Speed Manual Transmission (Yes, the Clutch-Pedal Kind)
    May 31, 2011
    by Jens Meiners

More isn’t always better. We’ll agree in terms of power, but respectfully pass when we’re talking about weight. Transmission gears? We’re not sure. Some recent automatics have featured seven and eight forward ratios (and ZF has even announced a nine-speed auto), but the maximum for traditional clutch-and-lever manual transmissions has been six for some time. That’s about to change, however, because we’ve confirmed from various corporate sources that Porsche will offer a seven-speed manual in the next-generation 911, a development we first reported last November.

The point is to offer a tall, seventh gear for improved efficiency and reduced engine noise during long cruises. The shifting experience is said to be similar to that of the current six-speed manual—which we love—there’s just a bit more rowing to do, although, depending on the ratio spread, veteran Porsche drivers might also have to slightly tweak their thinking in terms of gear choice for upcoming corners. Unless something changes and the shift pattern is seriously wacky, though, we doubt anyone will get confused during hard driving, since seventh will hardly be anyone’s go-to gear for corner exit.

As to the next 911 itself, it carries the internal 991 designation and is scheduled to debut at the Frankfurt auto show this September. It will be based on the stretched architecture of the 996/997 and offer more rear seat space and a more comfortable, luxurious interior. Vehicle stability will be improved thanks to a longer wheelbase. Future generations of the 911, however, are expected to share many components with the next-gen Audi R8 and Lamborghini Gallardo as part of the VW Group’s highly flexible Modularer Sportbaukasten, or “modular sports architecture.” When and if this platform convergence happens, the 911 will keep its rear-engine layout, although the powerplant may nevertheless be moved forward significantly.

MORE AT: http://blog.caranddriver.com/confirm...ch-pedal-kind/
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Re: Next Porsche 911 to Launch with 7-Speed Manual Trans (Yes, the Cluth-Pedal Kind)

If this actually pans out, I'm wondering if it will filter through the rest of the industry at some point?
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Next Porsche 911 to Launch with 7-Speed Manual Trans (Yes, the Cluth-Pedal Kind)

Well, Corvette this time just has to make sure they are better in every conceivable way than the 911

Banned
    Thanks

To
    t will be based on the stretched architecture of the 996/997 and offer more rear seat space and a more comfortable, luxurious interior. Vehicle stability will be improved thanks to a longer wheelbase. Future generations of the 911, however, are expected to share many components with the next-gen Audi R8 and Lamborghini Gallardo as part of the VW Group’s highly flexible Modularer Sportbaukasten, or “modular sports architecture.” When and if this platform convergence happens, the 911 will keep its rear-engine layout, although the powerplant may nevertheless be moved forward significantly.
    me, it sounds like Volkswagen is polluting the brand..

As in buy the current generation 911, because after this model, you will be getting something based on the TT and R8.. with porsche styling cues

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Xenon's Avatar
    Thanks

7 gears? Ehhhh.....I had a bit of a hard time adapting to a 6th gear, not sure how I can do 7th. 10 years down the like we may see 7 gears more attainable cars if the take rate is high.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    To me, it sounds like Volkswagen is polluting the brand..

As in buy the current generation 911, because after this model, you will be getting something based on the TT and R8.. with porsche styling cues
    Have you ever driven one, or have any knowledge of what you are talking about? The 911 will stay rear engined, but moving the engine forward will do wonders for it's stability. As is, the Camyan is pretty close to beating a 911 around a track, and with less power. Want to take a guess why? The answer starts with a "S".

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 SX Holden Captiva Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    To me, it sounds like Volkswagen is polluting the brand..

Polluting the brand?

VW and Porsche have allways had a close working relationship and have shared before even as far back as 69 and the 70's and even 80's

Way before the Toureg and Cayenne

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    Polluting the brand?

VW and Porsche have allways had a close working relationship and have shared before even as far back as 69 and the 70's and even 80's

Way before the Toureg and Cayenne
    Go back further, as in Porsche's inception.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Chevrolet Malibu LS Pewte

is that why the 911 looks like a beetle?

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Re: Next Porsche 911 to Launch with 7-Speed Manual Trans (Yes, the Clutch-Pedal Kind)

A real clutch and that 60's styling. If they really wanted to get edgy, maybe change the cupholder location...

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    Have you ever driven one, or have any knowledge of what you are talking about? The 911 will stay rear engined, but moving the engine forward will do wonders for it's stability. As is, the Camyan is pretty close to beating a 911 around a track, and with less power. Want to take a guess why? The answer starts with a "S".
    I have not driven a 911 though one of my friends let me take out his Cayman. Nice little horse the cayman is..

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Next Porsche 911 to Launch with 7-Speed Manual Trans (Yes, the Clutch-Pedal Kind)

I've sometimes wondered why companies don't offer a "Highway Gear" on most manual transmissions, I mean on our Cobalt SS/SC we can comfortable get to normal cruising speed in 4th gear. (2nd gets me to 55 if I want it to, and quickly) but then 5th (or a 6th) could be a very tall Gear for cruising at 65-80 in the 1000 RPM range and help immensely with MPG's?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ogg vorbis View Post
    is that why the 911 looks like a beetle?
    It's actually the other way around. The Beetle was essentially meant to be a cheaper and more affordable version of the 911 when it was first introduces in '57 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by SS SCHGD View Post
    I've sometimes wondered why companies don't offer a "Highway Gear" on most manual transmissions, I mean on our Cobalt SS/SC we can comfortable get to normal cruising speed in 4th gear. (2nd gets me to 55 if I want it to, and quickly) but then 5th (or a 6th) could be a very tall Gear for cruising at 65-80 in the 1000 RPM range and help immensely with MPG's?
    I can't remember a car that spun near idle during freeway cruising. My car spins a little under 4k @ 70...in 6th gear. Makes passing a breeze though!

Thanks

It's actually the other way around. The Beetle was essentially meant to be a cheaper and more affordable version of the 911 when it was first introduces in '57 or so.

I can't remember a car that spun near idle during freeway cruising. My car spins a little under 4k @ 70...in 6th gear. Makes passing a breeze though!
    I think a Roadmaster does like 1475 @ 70 mph, about the lowest I know of. My buddy's Miata was really high...I don't understand how those motors last that long.

This 7 speed manual thing is awesome. I'd love to have one. I've had times where I thought it'd be nice to be turning way under 2k rpm @ 100 mph
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

Thanks

The Beetle originated during the Third Reich, and was inspired by cars from Czech automaker Tatra, which had their engines in the rear, and of which Hitler was a big fan. Ferdinand Porsche engineered the original Beetle, and the 911 didn't come around until the 1960's, a derivative of the 1950's Speedsters like the one James Dean drove.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information