GM Inside News Forum banner

Next 200 to set new design direction for Chrysler, revive Lancia

8K views 42 replies 27 participants last post by  bmwboy2007 
#1 · (Edited)
2014 200 to usher in new design direction for Chrysler
By Drew Johnson
Monday, Jan 21 2013

Chrysler's next-generation 200 mid-size sedan will usher in a whole new design direction for the brand, the company's chief designer revealed at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

Speaking with WardsAuto, Chrysler chief designer Ralph Gilles revealed that the next 200 will feature a new design direction that doesn't share any “surface language with any previous Chrysler we’ve ever seen.”

“The current Chryslers on the road today certainly don’t reflect where we’re headed,” Gilles said. “What I can safely say is we are deviating from where we are today, completely. It’s a very different feeling (and) look.”

Gilles said the Avenger will be retired following the 2013 model year, although the automaker is considering a replacement for the mid-sizer sometime down the line.
CONTINUE AT LEFTLANENEWS.COM

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *​

New Lancia-design soon revealed thanks to ‘200’
19 January 2013

In order to get some information about Lancia nowadays, there’s no other way than to look at Chrysler and their plans on the American market. But still, even then you’re not sure whether the 107-year-old Italian brand will benefit from them. Marchionne himself was the one to introduce this utter silence around the luxury brand from Chivasso, and it has been nothing but speculation since. The cooperation with Chrysler is still ongoing, but no one knows what to expect in the future (if anything). The reason for this uncertainty is pretty obvious of course, it’s the European crisis. The current range from Detroit wouldn’t be able to help Lancia and so the brand from Turin is turning more and more into a two-model-brand, like Alfa Romeo has been for quite a while now. Now that the Musa will soon be sold out, the Ypsilon and the Delta will be the only ones still selling in large numbers.

However, there is light at the end of the tunnel, as Chrysler is steadily working on a completely new mid-segment in the US. While Lancia hasn’t done anything worth mentioning in this segment since the Lybra, Chrysler is also struggling with the same problem. Ralph Gilles (picture), CEO of Chrysler, has now thrown some light on this matter. It is, obviously, called the 200 and will most probably represent the (future) identity of Lancia. He said that Chrysler will be going a completely different direction with their brand image and that the current range is absolutely not worthy of the future Chrysler. The D-segment 200-range of tomorrow has, according to Gilles, no connection at all (design-wise) to what the people are used to by the brand from Detroit nowadays.

Gilles had an important message for Lancisti; “Wait until you see the new 200, your faith in Lancia will be restored.”
CONTINUE AT AUTOEDIZIONE.COM

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *​

We Hear: Next Chrysler 200 To Become More Alfa Romeo Than Chrysler
Written by: Donny Nordlicht
January 18 2013

Since its acquisition by Fiat in 2009, Chrysler has been hard at work pulling from its Italian parent’s toolbox to overhaul its lineup. Next up is the all-new Chrysler 200, which chief designer Ralph Gilles promises to be both “beautiful and relevant,” according to a new report.

Chrysler’s compacts aren’t the only vehicles to be receiving Alfa Romeo DNA. It was reported this week that a follow-up to the Dodge Challenger is in the works. That car would share its rear-wheel drive platform with Alfa’s BMW 3 Series-fighter, meaning that the new car would be smaller than the current Challenger.
CONTINUE AT MOTORTREND.COM

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
“The current Chryslers on the road today certainly don’t reflect where we’re headed,” Gilles said. “What I can safely say is we are deviating from where we are today, completely. It’s a very different feeling (and) look.”
Glad to hear it. From all we've seen, it appears the Chrysler brand will be a bit repositioned from where the marque currently lives. In the past, they've tried to make Chrysler a bit upscale from their other offerings. Today, with Dodge's brand values being a bit muddled (we know their "sporty" but that's about it), it could possibly mean that the Chrysler brand will become more "mainstream" -- that is, they'll drop the idea of the brand being more upscale from their Dodge counterparts and create more of a bread n' butter brand. This is especially true when you have other corporate brands like Maserati and Alfa Romeo taking the true-luxury/near-luxury roles in the expanded Fiat-Chrysler family.

If that's where they're going, then they'll need to break with the past and have a new, attractive design direction to get people to notice them. The current 200 sells very well, but they are moving them mostly thanks to their recent (and mostly successful) update and some nice incentives. It's a decent car for the money, but that tactic won't last forever. The Town & Country is a huge seller for them and can't imagine that they recent "one-minivan only" mantra will mean the Chrysler-badged minivan will disappear in favor of the Caravan (especially if the "Sporty-brand" perception at Dodge is polished to include a RWD Avenger replacement). Rather, a sporty-esque people mover is more suited for Dodge; I'd imagine it will be larger than the Journey in order to allow both products to coexist in the same lineup.

#4 ·
I'm anxiously awaiting the new 200, especially with the strong rumors of a 9 speed automatic and 3.2 V6 that is more efficient than the current 3.6. However, the article above is now the same thing we have been hearing for what it seems like months. The car keeps getting brought up, and with every press release or interview, there seems to literally be just a drop of additional information.

#5 ·
Im more interested in the new Avenger or its replacement. Still good to hear the 200 will be signifcantly redesigned.

#6 · (Edited)
However, there is light at the end of the tunnel, as Chrysler is steadily working on a completely new mid-segment in the US. While Lancia hasn’t done anything worth mentioning in this segment since the Lybra, Chrysler is also struggling with the same problem. Ralph Gilles (picture), CEO of Chrysler, has now thrown some light on this matter. It is, obviously, called the 200 and will most probably represent the (future) identity of Lancia. He said that Chrysler will be going a completely different direction with their brand image and that the current range is absolutely not worthy of the future Chrysler. The D-segment 200-range of tomorrow has, according to Gilles, no connection at all (design-wise) to what the people are used to by the brand from Detroit nowadays.

Gilles had an important message for Lancisti; “Wait until you see the new 200, your faith in Lancia will be restored.”
Good news and seems to fit the idea of a "one lineup, two brands, different markets" approach they've been trying to hash out between Chrysler and Lancia. Obviously they're still trying to work on this but the results haven't been stellar so far. The Chrysler brand hasn't received anything from the arrangement (outside of the UK and Ireland at least), but Lancia has gotten a slate of new products to sell in Europe. Most have put down Lancia's attempts to sell American iron as an Italian product in the Old World, but I'm sure a real, unified design language and revised product lineup will only help them really make an impression in the minds of consumers.

Some folks think this idea is a non-starter even before they begin truly implementing the strategy. A year ago it was reported that current Fiat Group deisgn chief (and former Ferrari/Pininfarina designer) Lorenzo Ramaciotti was pulled out of retirement to come up with a design language for both brands. A lot of people got upset at the announcement because they felt that it was going to be nothing more than a brand engineered job. Or that, in designing one language for both brands, the "American-ness" or "Latin-flair" of each brand would be lost. In all honesty, is that truly a big deal even if it were? Afterall, Lancia and Chrysler don't exist in the same markets. The only overlap, if any, is that the Chrysler badge remains in Ireland and the UK while the rest of the Continent gets Lancia (very similar to Opel/Vauxhall in that respect). What's more, sharing some designs between two brands based in different markets hasn't really hurt Buick in the US or Opel/Vauxhall in Europe. So is this really an issue?

I hope that the new design language is both elegant and upscale, yet with a bit of that Latin-flair and American-boldness baked. I'm kind of excited to see how Ramaciotti will meld the two.

However, to be a success, the products that receive this new design language must launch with no-excuses. It's basically been confirmed that Lancia will have responsibility for small cars like the Musa, Delta, and Ypsilon (the last of which is a huge seller) while Chrysler gets everything from the D-segment on up. That's a good arrangment if a cohesive design direction can be hashed out, materials are good, and build quality is consistent. Of course, Lancia has been doing so poorly in Europe of late that their existance in even "established segment" will only continue thanks to Chrysler. For example, the current C-Segment Delta hasn't sold well at all and it's only becuase of the un-confirmed "Chrysler 100" that it will even get a second lease on life in the Old World. Let's hope they make the most of the opportunity to sell a new Delta in Europe.

#8 ·
I'm interested to see what is coming for Dodge & Chrysler. I like the look of the concept above, but wonder if it will get watered down for production & lose most of its impact in the process (I hope not). I like the rumor of AWD, + coupe and convertible, something GM seems to be avoiding.

Hopefully something from them will register with me for once...

#11 ·
If Caddy did a 4 door coupe based off the ATS with 5 spoke AMG wheels from the first gen CLS......

#14 ·
Who knows what the next 200 will look like. All I know is that it's time and I hope they don't mess up. I'm pretty sure the next one will do well because how can you screw up a Chrysler Sebring/200. Chrysler is plugging up all of their passenger car weaknesses, good.

#17 ·
Now... I know there will be a convertible of this. And it'll be dirt cheap used.
Possible backup plan after GM inrtoduces 20 more crossovers but no Cascada or ATS soft tops?

#19 ·
I wonder if they will align them with Lancia , and make them a premium alternative between mass market and luxury pricing? Personally I believe that Chrysler needs to either have Alfa Romeo paired with Fiat/ Chrysler dealers or introduce the Imperial sub brand. One glaring fault in my Chrysler ownership experience is the service experience that would quite frankly not be acceptable to those used to driving a luxury car. The Imperial could definitely be a game changer , and it would match with upper level Lancia products since Lancia is seen in its home market a luxury make.

#20 ·
The sketch doesn't look too bad, but it is bound to be a FWD based vehicle, so push those front wheels back towards the door 4 to 6 inches and you'll be left with a goofy looking front overhang big "schnoz" like you get on most FWD vehicles.

#23 ·
Its just a Sketch. its not the the actuall car. All i know according to Allpar is that it has a "3 Window Green house", "Front wheel Arch found on the 300" that flows into a waist line that goes down the side of the and drops down the tail end at 45 degrees ( which is also similar to the 300), Darkend Tailamps, C shaped exhaust outlets.

#25 ·
Wow--they really are a Euro auto maker now. Time to just skip auto shows. They can well afford to offer concept cars seeing as the pay for themselves with all the buzz generated. I swear, there are still people who seem to post the old Buick WildCat pix on a bi-weekly basis.

If Chrysler really wants to offer an additional 3brands, they need to act like a mature company. No wonder FIAT, Alpha and Lancia are dead in Europe.

#36 ·
I'm curious to know what Magic Marchionne is doing with Dodge. He splits off Ram, he won't have a replacement Avenger. Is he slowly killing Dodge? Dart, Durango, Charger, Challenger, Grand Caravan?

#38 · (Edited)
While this car is better than the current 200, I don't see it as being a threat to Lexus, Buick or even Mazda sales.
As a convertible it pretty much kicks everything's ass in sales and has for quite some time. That's why I'm sure there will be a soft top.
Hopefully they won't do something dumb and just walk away from a class sales leader (which GM did with the HHR).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.