GM Inside News Forum banner

New Fiat 124 Spider Starts From $24,995, Abarth From $28,195

6K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  MonaroSS 
#1 ·
New Fiat 124 Spider Starts From $24,995, Abarth From $28,195
Friday, April 29, 2016
John Halas
CarScoops.com

We don’t know if you should be surprised or not, but Fiat’s new 124 Spider has roughly the same starting price as the car it’s based on, the Mazda MX-5 in the USA, at $24,995, excluding a $995 destination for the manual model.

In comparison, Mazda’s base 2016 MX-5 Sport with a 155hp 2.0-liter engine and 6sp manual starts at $24,915 plus an $820 destination fee, while the range-topping Grand Touring model with the same engine and gearbox is priced from $30,065.

Fiat’s Italian interpretation of the Japanese roadster comes with a 1.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder Multiair engine that produces 160hp and 184 lb.-ft. of torque on the Classica and Lusso models, and 165hp and 184 lb.-ft. of torque on the Abarth, with all models offering a standard 6sp manual and an $1,350 optional 6sp automatic transmission.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

Image credited to AutoScoops.com

See less See more
#2 ·
Kind of surprised, as I would assume FCA would think that FIAT is more premium and thus, offer the car at a markedly higher price point.

That being said, I like the 124 far better than the Miata. In fact, if my midlife crisis ever involved a small, inexpensive two-seat roadster, I would totally consider this.

#3 ·
that fiat actually triggers a "I want that" to an extent more so then the 86twins OR the Miata

I am also interested in the real world comparo's of the 2.0L NA miata VS a 1.4T 124 as this is the first instance BOTH the downsized turbo AND a NA engine end up in the same car AND both treated as "premium" and NOT a "sin bin" engine (CRUZE 1.8L)

#5 ·
I really really want a 124 so I'm glad to see them priced low enough that even the used market won't have me priced out.

#6 ·
We don’t know if you should be surprised or not, but Fiat’s new 124 Spider has roughly the same starting price as the car it’s based on, the Mazda MX-5 in the USA, at $24,995, excluding a $995 destination for the manual model.
Do they have to like fly in someone that can operate a manual transmission?

#8 ·
I love the classic Fiat Dino Coupe. If Sergio gave a modern version to Fiat (just copy the Buick Avista GM will never make) then that is all Fiat needs in the US with the 124 Spider and 500 range perhaps with a new Multipla Minivan like I chopped below.. Sport and economy cars.

;)

#15 ·
I love the classic Fiat Dino Coupe. If Sergio gave a modern version to Fiat (just copy the Buick Avista GM will never make) then that is all Fiat needs in the US with the 124 Spider and 500 range perhaps with a new Multipla Minivan like I chopped below.. Sport and economy cars.

;)
the ORIGINAL 124 spyder also had a coupe version a LOT like the MGB/GT

I would like to see that come back

#12 ·
Actually looks pretty cool, I really like the new Miata, but I would have to test drive one of these too. But then again, Fix It Again Tony...

#13 ·
They are both built by the Japanese in the same factory so that is probably a Quality Control Plus.

The main Italian component is the multiair turbo 1.4 engine. I don't know it's reliability but it has been around in that form since I think 2009 from a 2002 design, so any bugs should have been ironed out by now.

;)

#27 ·
I honestly really think that I'll be getting myself an Abarth 124 Spyder.
I've been waiting for a car like this forever, especially from GM but that will never happen. It's light, decent interior, small Turbo four, Quad Exhaust, and most importantly priced just right. I also love Italian cars sooooooooo yeah I will need to pick one up for sure.

On as side note: GM is crazy not going after this market with Cadillac first and then Chevy. I just don't get GM sometimes at all!!!

#29 ·
I find it interesting that the 124 was a priority at FCA but staying in the sedan business isn't (regarding the 200 and Dart). I totally get that Fiat needs some more product, but how many of these bad boys can they really hope to sell? On the plus side Mazda seems like a great partner for them to work with...

#31 ·
The fiat abattoir has really cheap rally like upgrades.....so bad in person the base version is actually a little better looking. Both of which are not quite as attractive as the mx5 in person IMO.

Having owned a first gen mx5 low mileage example for about 504 months last year...I'm done with the whole light little convertible segment.

Especially for the money.....with a few options...id move to either a mustang GT or preferable a camaro SS and get a real performance car.

The little 124 and mx5 are of little interest for me...the driving experience was just lacking in actual performance....for the first few months with the top down it was great but top up.....that whole experience soured as slow car fast gets old with the top up....

Jmo the 124 and Abath in person are dogs...especially the abarth.....it haven't seen such a cheap plastic boy racer looks fail so miserably in years...

Don't believe me...? Go see one in person yourself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.