GM Inside News Forum banner

New Alfa Romeo will be unveiled in June

3K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  Bare 
#1 ·
New Alfa Romeo will be unveiled in June
Automotive News Europe
November 20, 2014

LOS ANGELES -- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles will debut a new Alfa Romeo model in June, brand chief Harald Wester said.

Wester declined to comment on what type of vehicle the company will introduce when it unveils the model at its Alfa Romeo museum in Italy. He was speaking on Wednesday at the auto show here.

Alfa will introduce eight new models by 2018 as part of Fiat Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne's plans to boost the brand's annual sales to 400,000 vehicles in 2018 from 74,000 last year.

Alfa has started development on three of the eight new models, sources told Automotive News Europe earlier this year.

The cars are:
• a midsize sedan to rival the BMW 5 series
• a midsize SUV that will take on models such as the Audi Q5
• a flagship large sedan.

The midsize sedan will be the first to go on sale, the sources said. It is a successor to the Europe-only 159. Originally due in 2014 badged as the Giulia, the new sedan most likely will get a different name.

CONTINUE AT AUTONEWS EUROPE

See less See more
Reactions: cad1cts
#2 ·
My neighbor had an Alfa Roadster growing up, so I always dug them. Kind of like the 4C, so looking forward to the new models and where they take the lineup/brand.

Reactions: cad1cts
#7 ·
Love the 4C.

Don't get the lineup. Don't get the large sedan or lack of V8s. Don't get the large SUV or the size classes they're pitching.

Alfa Romeo is a lot like Mazda (in the early 90's), they are not focused on High Power/Large Displacement Motors. Leave the V8's to Maserati what Makes a Alfa:

Fun to Drive
Sporty attributes and Erotic (Yes Erotic) style
Inline 4 and Small displacement power
50/50 Weight distribution
Light Platform.

a Midsize BMW 5 Series competitor from Alfa would be the Midsize BMW WISHES they had...The SUV's would be just a Money maker.

#8 ·
So you want a 1.7 Liter I4 Maserati 3 Series??? thats like Asking Rolls Royce to build a 3 series competitor.

AR is a BMW/BENZ Competitor. From RWD C Segments to RWD D Segments powered by inline 4's to Turbo V6's

Alfa isnt Famous for V8's, They are famous for high reving Raspy 4 Cylinders. why do people think AR needs a V8?

#6 ·
I swear I drove by an Alfa dealership a couple of days ago.

#9 · (Edited)
Alfa are dropping the huge loss making FWD failures, in favour of low volume higher revenue RWD sports cars that produce a decent profit on the roof, seems like a sensible move to me.

Ooooh that nice new RWD Alfa Romeo Spyder (Mazda worlds No1 convertible maker), looks a winner, good to see Alfa Romeo get back to their roots, and do what the Italians do best sports cars.

#10 · (Edited)
Surprised alfa is going BMW 5 size first. Would have thought 3 series competitor since that's where the volume is. I imagine the larger 5 series foundation already exists within the corporation in one degree or another....

Any guesses which platform it's sharing if any?

Ghilbi? Shortened a bit?

Hope Sergio's big gamble pays off.....I'm a huge alfisti dating back to 1963 when my dad would take me in his alfa convertible with no real heater in the winters...etc...

My dad's favorite line was....hold onto your hat!

Long since past away over a quarter of a century my dad s long love affair with alfa convertibles is still instilled with me. I hope to enjoy alfa s return to the usa with more than just the alfa 4c.....

Somewhat wishing the miata based alfa did in fact return this year. Not a huge dan of the little 1.4 turbo I am somewhat released eventually the alfa spider will return with either the 240 hp turbo 1750 or even better the turbo 2 liter...

For their time the 1750 and 2000 cc alfa fours with hemi heads were powerful 2 seat Italian sportscars putting out 118 to 132 hp.... From 107 or 120 cubic inches..

Their 5 speed manuals and legendary handling were well respected..

Hopeful this can be recreated for the every,an...as the 4c seems at its current launch price to be a bit overpriced compared to say corvettes and Porsches....

Alfa spiders and gtv s were about 25 to 30 percent less than corvettes back then...(base 1971 corvette before options 5500 dollars where as the Alfa spider of the same year was 4000 dollars) the launch edition of the little 4c is 68 grand and a base c7 corvette is 54 grand. The next year alfa 4c will start more appropriately at 54 grand but even still I believe it's really more of a 47 grand vehicle....at most....imo

Even in today's dollars a 20 percent disparity should exist...,,IMO...

Not equal in pricing between the two cars...IMO because then the corvette wins every contest of sportscar realm.....but with a price differential being discussed...the Alfa spider and gtv hold merit....

Just my rant...jmo

Reactions: CJH
#11 ·
Surprised alfa is going BMW 5 size first. Would have thought 3 series competitor since that's where the volume is. I imagine the larger 5 series foundation already exists within the corporation in one degree or another....

Any guesses which platform it's sharing if any?

Ghilbi? Shortened a bit?

Hope Sergio's big gamble pays off.....I'm a huge alfisti dating back to 1963 when my dad would take me in his alfa convertible with no real heater in the winters...etc...

My dad's favorite line was....hold onto your hat!

Long since past away over a quarter of a century my dad s long love affair with alfa convertibles is still instilled with me. I hope to enjoy alfa s return to the usa with more than just the alfa 4c.....

Somewhat wishing the miata based alfa did in fact return this year. Not a huge dan of the little 1.4 turbo I am somewhat released eventually the alfa spider will return with either the 240 hp turbo 1750 or even better the turbo 2 liter...

For their time the 1750 and 2000 cc alfa fours with hemi heads were powerful 2 seat Italian sportscars putting out 118 to 132 hp.... From 107 or 120 cubic inches..

Their 5 speed manuals and legendary handling were well respected..

Hopeful this can be recreated for the every,an...as the 4c seems at its current launch price to be a bit overpriced compared to say corvettes and Porsches....

Alfa spiders and gtv s were about 25 to 30 percent less than corvettes back then...(base 1971 corvette before options 5500 dollars where as the Alfa spider of the same year was 4000 dollars) the launch edition of the little 4c is 68 grand and a base c7 corvette is 54 grand. The next year alfa 4c will start more appropriately at 54 grand but even still I believe it's really more of a 47 grand vehicle....at most....imo

Even in today's dollars a 20 percent disparity should exist...,,IMO...

Not equal in pricing between the two cars...IMO because then the corvette wins every contest of sportscar realm.....but with a price differential being discussed...the Alfa spider and gtv hold merit....

Just my rant...jmo

The Giorgio Platform will underpin Most of D-E Segment Alfa's cars. the Platform will spin off to develope Other RWD cars in FCA to use as a Basis. Just as the (SUSW 500x/Renegade) & CUSW (Dart, 200, Cherokee) Platform Varies from Chrysler to Jeep, Dodge and Fiat.

Also The Mazda "Based" SPorts car for Alfa is dead, It turning into a Sports car for Fiat (Think Fiat 123), Its not "Pure" enough for Alfa Romeo. They are getting they own lil sports car.

#14 ·
Alfa needs it's vehicles to have greater hp and tq than what the 1.4 liter turbo offers and rumor is a sports car that can hold either the 1.7 and or two liter turbo is destined for the Alfa spider.

Personally I believe the three pronge launch of a spider a gtv coupe and a saloon in the realm of the z 3 series makes more sense....

The 5 series competitor has lower volume for sure.....although based off a ghilbi chassis offshoot I can see the ease of production.

I'm not a fan of the ghilbi although the front end is impressive on the road...the rest of the design leaves me cold...and the turbo lag is disappointing....

Jmo ..hopefully alfa will have better 5 series competitive product for less money? How is that going to work?

#18 ·
Personally I think a 1.7 turbo with 240 hp is as low as they should go....and even then a 2 liter with 300 or more hp is more appropriate to actually successfully compete ...

The mx5 Italian breathern if not an alfa should not be a fiat but rather bridge the gap as an Abarth spider..

Jmo

#19 ·
Remember Alfa plans to sell more Low Tier Mercedes and BMW like cars. a standard 135-160hp I4, a 185-200hp Turbo 4 and a upper trim 1.7L with minimum 230hp would be enough for something like a 3 Series type Alfa, after all they plan to develop cars to be as Light as possible. the D-RWD (5 Series) Alfa would have a Entry level Turbo 4 with Optional 3.2L NA V6

#22 ·
If they could build this with better efficiency and sexier sheet metal, that would be a triumph. With the smaller engine, and a V6 as a possible option, it also isn't completely impossible, either. In Europe, a diesel will also be important, even BMW offers them.

Would I want one? Were I the sort that considers the space of these four door sedans adequate, yes. However, the Mercedes C Class is the only one of the lot where I can make myself comfortable behind the wheel, then get into the back seat without my knees coming into hard contact with the back of the front seat.

As a personal opinion, the streets of the world would look better with more Italian cars, and fewer German and Japanese ones, even considering that I currently drive a German car and a Japanese one. Certainly, this is something to keep in mind the next time I buy...

#28 ·
Alfa will introduce eight new models by 2018 as part of Fiat Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne's plans to boost the brand's annual sales to 400,000 vehicles in 2018 from 74,000 last year.
LOL! Each new model (apparently there will be 8) will have to sell over 40,000 units per year in 2018 to hit those numbers, or the current models will have to magically triple and quadruple in volume to reach this lofty goal. 100,000 will be pushing it, 400,000 is just silly. Why not say a cool million?

#29 ·
This makes more sense.,..as it seems Sergio's following Cadillac s CTS tweeter sizing of the second generation.

Of which I happen to agree ....having owned a second gen cts it's the perfect size for my family...,bigger than a little ATS or Audi A4 but not so big as a five series...(which is actually sharing its platform with the seven) heavy...

Here's the link for what's supposedly is coming to alfa...

http://www.leftlanenews.com/alfa-romeo-giulia-2016.html

I'm not a fan of fours at this size.....but what the hell

#30 ·
I believe they are letting wind of a 5-Series-sized car, but it will be more of a "larger 3-Series" car in terms of price. The last 159 was a simply brilliant car, especially with the Fiat-GM diesels, the only problem was lack of rear legroom. So I am confident they can build a great car, and the market still wants Alfas. The only problem is RWD - weight, limited space, increased fuel consumption and useless anywhere north of Florence.

I do not think Alfa should go anywhere over this price range (BMW 3, X3), and there's still a lot of money to be made there. I only wish Fiat would offer a FWD car in this class, i.e. import the Chrysler 200 (under a proper name) over here. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

#32 ·

A mere three days after we saw the disguised nose of Alfa’s Giulia for the first time, here are the first pictures of the entire car in its final bodywork. Though heavily disguised, we can extract quite some information from these photos taken somewhere in Northern Italy during the final test phase. Both at the front as well as at the rear we notice a very short overhang. This could mean one of these two things; either it’s got a really long wheelbase or it’s not that long a car. It also indicates that it is definitely rear-wheel drive. The cabin is positioned far down the car, meaning the front seats are in the very middle of its length for perfect weight distribution.

What else do we notice? A very aggressive nose that is indeed as high as we thought from the pictures of a few days back, but here seems to dive towards the very front making it look like a hawk beak almost (see picture above). Meanwhile we notice the boot lip from the 4C on top of the trunk and the rear lights that resemble those of the 159 at first sight. Four exhausts mean this is one of the most powerful versions to be released. Another detail are the rear door handles, indicating not the ones of the Giulietta/156 will be used. The alloys seem a bit off, but the car is in motion and that makes it hard to analyze them. Also; is that a diffusor at the back? Anyways, this looks very very promising, would you agree?

http://www.autoedizione.com/alfa-giulia-in-its-final-bodywork/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.