GM Inside News Forum banner

NAIAS 2013: All-New 2014 Lexus IS

16K views 109 replies 61 participants last post by  mchicha 
#1 ·
First Official Photos of All-New 2014 Lexus IS Sedan in F Sport Guise [Updated]
JANUARY 09, 2013
Carscoop

We don't know when exactly Lexus was planning to share official photos of its hotly anticipated IS, but today, we discovered a full set of images of the executive compact sedan, less than a week before the car's public debut at the Detroit auto show.
These images [now in high-resolution] afford us our first unobstructed view of the Japanese carmaker's third attempt to rival the BMW 3-Series, the Mercedes-Benz C-Class and the Audi A4.

The model seen here is an F Sport variant (not to be confused with the high-performance IS F), which means it features an aerodynamic kit, taller alloy wheels, a bespoke finish for the grille, a lowered suspension and tuned chassis along with a sportier trimmed interior, while keeping the same powerplant(s) as the regular IS.

See less See more
#4 ·
And the "I'm melting" front fascia look.

#10 ·
Are they in an ugly car contest with Nissan or something??
Well, congratulations,,, you're both winners!!

#12 ·
Predator from the front and Sonata from the rear... Basically, one hot mess.

That said, it will sell like a $200 big screen on black Friday.

#13 ·
Partnership with Nike on the swoosh LED accents?

#18 ·
No, that's not true. They will do no such thing. They will merely start saying how mediocre the ATS is and how GM's been leapfrogged and that they just match the competition when they need to exceed the competition.

#21 ·
It has certain elements that look good, but overall this design becomes way to busy in the chin spoiler. The excessive use of plains overlapping plains and more than necessary air ducts, coupled with the squared off outer corners of the front bumper meeting over-rought headlights, result in a vehicle that sorely lacks continuity. The kids who grew up watching Fast and Furious and admiring the cars with their tacky amateur body kits, are now designing cars. God help us all! Their is Nothing cohesive about this design. The Storm Trooper nose clip is a face only a mother (with glocoma) could love!

#23 ·
Ehh. I like the interior. The back end looks nice, and I think the profile is interesting. The front is just bad. Too much going on and very little of it is aesthetically pleasing. That being said this is the F-Sport trim, so the regular IS should be a bit more tasteful.

I have to say I don't like this new direction they're going with their exterior designs. Lexus have always been tastefully understated and now it's like they're just adding random shapes and lines in a bad attempt to be more "exciting" and "sporty". Stick to what your good at Lexus. Especially at a time where everyone else is also trying too hard.

#50 ·
The GS has the same problem - overly busy front w/ the side and rear being too plain (ditto the Mercedes E Class).

I think it's a good looking design, it will probably have lots of presence on the road, but white is not the best color for a car like this. Perhaps that and the big L on the grill are skewing your view. Either way official photos are incoming in ~15 minutes. Sharpen your pitchforks for that.
You sure have some weird aesthetic views.

You lambast the Kia Optima for being "busy" despite it having pretty clean/straight lines and yet you like the new IS which has lines going in every direction at the front end?

In addition to that, the side/greenhouse is a step down from the outgoing IS w/ the rear being decent.

The best part of the new IS is the dash w/ the best rendition of the "wedge-shape" design Lexus has done.

#36 ·
It could have a GOOD LOOOKING design from the get go though?
I think it's a good looking design, it will probably have lots of presence on the road, but white is not the best color for a car like this. Perhaps that and the big L on the grill are skewing your view. Either way official photos are incoming in ~15 minutes. Sharpen your pitchforks for that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.