GM Inside News Forum banner

More Names in Store for Lincoln? "Zephyr" Trademarked

12K views 146 replies 54 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·
AutoBlog
5-25-16

The filing says Ford seeks to use Zephyr for "motor vehicles and parts and accessories therefor." That could mean a new car — or just parts. Putting the Zephyr badge back on the MKZ is the most likely bet. Meanwhile, Ford also moved to get the Thunderbird trademark on May 11 for the same vehicles and parts purpose, and it filed for the Mustang trademark for shampoo and lotions on May 4.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/25/lincoln-zephyr-trademark-news/#slide-3902948

See less See more
#5 ·
Those are all cool names. The wannabee-German alphanumeric names...just move to Germany if you want a German accent. Otherwise, you're not German, you're never going to be German, and your idiot naming scheme is, well, idiotic.

#46 ·
My Country Cousin in New Hampshah had a very large faahm cat named Zephyr. Zephry was a very very cool cat. Cool Cat.

1956 Lincoln Premiere?
Now we can start spinning off stream-of-consciousness word-association new names.
Premier.
Khruschev.
Nikita.
Prime.
Prime Minister.
Minister.
Munster.
Herman.
Mockingbird Lane.
Mockingbird.

Reactions: t-rex and Dequindre
#20 ·
I think people want American, American luxury cars. They are tired of our "proud" American luxury brands trying to not be American.

So many folks would love to buy a great modern, classic Cadillac. The large, stately, comfortable cruiser that has way more power than needed, so that it is effortless. They do not want "the first ever" CT123456789.

The American luxury cars had names. They always had names................ until they didn't. Maybe Lincoln, with the help of the reaction to the Continental, is realizing that folks want to buy an American luxury car that sounds and acts like one.

How many different naming schemes is Cadillac going to use, or try?? Heck, if they keep changing it, every new vehicle can be "the first ever _______."

#75 ·

The American luxury cars had names. They always had names................ until they didn't. ...
This is so not true. The Cadillac Series 70 went on sale in 1935 and was finally retired in 1987. It was put on hiatus between 1977 and 1983. The Series 70 replaced the Series 355 which was sold between 1931 and 1935.

Other Cadillac numbered models include:

1936-1938 Cadillac Series 37 (a mid-priced Series 60)
1936-1938 Cadillac Series 60
1939-1939 Cadillac Series 61
1940-1962 Cadillac Series 62
1938-1951 Cadillac Series 63
1937-1938 Cadillac Series 65
1941-1949 Cadillac Series 67
1935-1987 Cadillac Series 75
1936-1937 Cadillac Series 80
1936-1937 Cadillac Series 85
1930-1940 Cadillac Series 90
1931-1935 Cadillac Series 370
1930-1937 Cadillac Series 452

(Sigh)

#23 ·
When I was a kid the British sourced Ford Zephyr Mk3 was one of my favorite cars. In Australia it was often modified with lower suspension and alloy wheels and hotter engines or V8 swaps.

I loved the rear taillights and fins.
From the days when Ford UK was independent of Ford Germany - the Consul/Zephyr/Zodiac were from the days when each trim/engine had it's own model name - the Consul being 4-cylinder base trim, the Zephyr being 6-cylinder base time and the Zodiac being 6-cylinder high trim

#24 ·
Does Lincoln Zephyr trademark mean a return to real names?

Does Lincoln Zephyr trademark mean a return to real names?
Autoblog
Greg Migliore
May 25, 2016

Lincoln's long history includes many legendary names, and despite its short life, Zephyr retains a spot in that pantheon. Perhaps its will return once again: Ford Motor Co. applied to trademark Zephyr on May 11.

Trademark filings can have ambiguous meanings, and often they're legal plays to get or keep the rights to a name. But in the last year, we've seen signs Lincoln is looking to use real names on its vehicles again. Obviously, it's keeping Navigator for its flagship sport-utility vehicle with a new model due next year. Reprising Continental for the MKS replacement was also well received. That said, Lincoln still uses the MKX and MKC "names" for its crossovers.
*Full Article at Link

#27 ·
Re: Does Lincoln Zephyr trademark mean a return to real names?

names would be a nice return for luxury companies.

the only positive about using numbers rather than names is that when you say what car you drive, its not Fleetwood, Seville, or Deville, you say Cadillac. You say you drive a Caddy, which marketing is good to do, doesnt matter if it is a compact, midsized, full sized, SUV, etc, its a Caddillac you drive. so you push the brand not the model. also makes it easier to replace a model. you are not replacing the Fleetwood, you are replacing the full sized sedan in the model lineup.

well that is how i see it. i still prefer names. or atleast letter/numbers that mean something. still not a fan of the infinit Q numbering system

#80 ·

names would be a nice return for luxury companies.

the only positive about using numbers rather than names is that when you say what car you drive, its not Fleetwood, Seville, or Deville, you say Cadillac. You say you drive a Caddy, which marketing is good to do, doesnt matter if it is a compact, midsized, full sized, SUV, etc, its a Caddillac you drive. so you push the brand not the model. also makes it easier to replace a model. you are not replacing the Fleetwood, you are replacing the full sized sedan in the model lineup.

well that is how i see it. i still prefer names. or atleast letter/numbers that mean something. still not a fan of the infinit Q numbering system
I drive a Caddy:

#29 ·

I like that the Cadillac alpha numeric scheme will eventually give you a clue about probable size, price (relative to each other) and whether sedan or Xover. Actual names give you none of those clues.
They always did. And it's too late for Cadillac to try and make sense of any of the alpha numeric hash tags they've used in the past. You might know, but the general public [aka: customers ] will remain confused.

#31 ·

As with the story about "Riviera" at GM, I think it odd that Ford would have let their rights to the name "Zephyr" expire. It's only been 10 years since they had a product with that name.

Reactions: jalberda
#34 · (Edited)

I suppose the only problem with a sequential alpha naming system like Caddy is moving to is that the models now have their price hierarchy right in the name, I'm not sure customers feel as positive about their purchase if they have one of the low numbers. With names or non-sequential branding, there is more ambiguity...for better or worse. And ultimately, I don't think Lincoln is going to become a full-line luxury maker like BMW or Audi, although Caddy is heading in that direction if they can sustain it. So how many names does Lincoln really need to begin with? An alpha naming scheme doesn't make much sense for Lincoln. The original objective was to focus on the brand "Lincoln" but I think that is less essential now. In any case, I'm sure they are still figuring it out.

#39 ·
1956 Lincoln Premiere?

#42 ·

Would you rather drive a CT6 or a Sedan de Ville? Would you prefer CT8 or Fleetwood? CT7 or Eldorado?

I prefer names, but I'm old school that way. It's different for BMW and Benz because their naming systems are also legacy systems, consistent and resonant with their past.
Instead of heritage Cadillac names, have about new(ish) names.
Voyage
Solitaire
Cien
Imaj
Converj
Provoq
Evoq
Ciel
Elmiraj

#49 ·

Lincoln is better off using the name on the next generation model.

However, Lincoln needs a new alphanumeric system because it is currently a hodgepodge mess with a hodgepodge derivative styling from Jaguar, Bentley to Range Rover. Lincoln should had kept the split winged-grill and enhanced it on the '17 MKZ and Continental.

Just wait when the customers driving and they see a car behind them or in traffic going towards the opposite direction, they think it is a Bentley or Jaguar and come to find out that it is a Lincoln. It will confuse the customers and they will definitely confuse it to the foreign makes, mark my words.

There is consistency with the MKC and MKX in styling, but there is none from the Continental and MKZ.

I would not be surprise if Lincoln plan on getting a different grill in a few years after the redesign of MKZ in several years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.