GM Inside News Forum banner

Mercedes plans to launch its first pickup truck

5K views 56 replies 28 participants last post by  Johnny_Buchanan 
#1 · (Edited)
Automotive News
March 27, 2015 - 7:40 am ET -- UPDATED: 3/27/15 9:05 am ET

FRANKFURT -- Daimler's Mercedes-Benz unit plans to launch its first pickup truck by 2020, targeting sales at the European, Latin American, Australian and South African markets.

Mercedes hasn’t decided yet whether to sell the pickup in the U.S, Volker Mornhinweg, head of Mercedes-Benz Vans, told the Wall Street Journal.

The pickup will have about 1 metric ton of payload capacity and will be built by its commercial-van division.

"The Mercedes-Benz pickup will contribute nicely to our global growth targets,” Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche said in a statement today. "We will enter this segment with our distinctive brand identity and all of the vehicle attributes that are typical of the brand with regard to safety, comfort, powertrains, and value."

Mercedes said more and more pickups are being used for private purposes. It also said that commercial as well as private users are increasingly asking for vehicles that have car-like specifications.

The automaker's plans to enter the pickup segment underscore a push by German premium automakers that have built their reputations on refined sedans to enter segments traditionally dominated by mass-market competitors as they compete for volume.

After SUVs became popular years ago, the addition of a pickup would open a new front in the battle among Germany's premium brands for the No. 1 spot in luxury car sales.

Mercedes, the world's third-largest premium automaker, plans to overtake Audi and market leader BMW in sales by the end of the decade. The race for the lead has prompted Audi to roll out the A1 subcompact hatchback and BMW to add the 2-series Active Tourer and 2-series Gran Tourer compact minivans.

Volkswagen launched a similar pickup strategy to Daimler's several years ago with the Amarok. Its commercial van business developed and built the midsize pickup in Argentina for Latin America and Europe, while avoiding the U.S. market and its punitive"chicken tax." The tax imposes a 25 percent duty on goods such as light trucks imported into the U.S. in retaliation for tariffs on U.S. chickens once imposed by several European nations.

MMmmm l find it kinda funny a Mercedes pick-up truck in Europe, and GM have not got a clue don't have one in European market, l have gotta say l never not ever buy that Mercedes Benz pick-up in the sketch, that looks a pretty dreadful first attempt.

See less See more
#4 ·
But it is not a Cadillac. Then again, I do remember reading that Yukon Denali customers are on average have more disposable income than Escalade buyers. It was a few years back, I don't know if it is still true or not.

Reactions: mgescuro
#10 ·
Interesting that it will be built by their commercial truck division. I wonder if they will be able to match the build quality expected of a luxury Mercedes, or is that the reason for no US sales - they want to build it and work on refining it before trying to sell it in the USA.

#12 ·
I do find it interesting that Mercedes has decided to do this and through the commercial business not luxury division.
That being said, I suppose it wouldn't be too out of the question to modify the W166 platform as a truck.

I don't know if it would deb successful in the US, seeing as the Blackwood and EXT have pretty much shown that the market isn't that large. But they were full-sized truck. Perhaps a mid or compact one would be better.

Also, if trucks are being seen more and more in Europe, where is GM's competitor? Can't Colorado be sold around the world? Wouldn't Colorado compete with HiLux etc?

#14 ·
Also, if trucks are being seen more and more in Europe, where is GM's competitor? Can't Colorado be sold around the world? Wouldn't Colorado compete with HiLux etc?
The Colorado is larger than any HiLux I've seen. GM needs something smaller a la LUV.

Reactions: mgescuro
#15 ·
the Colorado as the same "class" size as the Hi-Lux and as far as I know mostly the "smaller" offerings would be like the Chevy Tornado / Ford Bantam / RAM 750 compact car based FWD trucks

outside the USA Mercedes has a strong reputation in the commercial market between transport trucks and VANS so logically a Pick up to complement makes sense more then a complement to there SUV/car line

#18 ·
Is this an early April Fools joke?

#22 · (Edited)
Wow ,wow , wow !! Hot damn , what a looker and its got the famous star affixed . The world brings it's products to North America....we are so blessed . Also , the bankers who supply the loans for customers to buy this or one of the many , many local or imported brands to choose from...at a nominal interest rate should get a big hug and a profound Thank You . Blessings to all those reasonably in debt , we the chosen people..... ain't life grand !!

#27 ·
I think a Mercedes Ute would sell pretty well here in Australia, one of their potential markets.

The 'tradie' market are currently splashing out on converted American Trucks/Utes, paying over $130kAU ($101kUS) for F250s, Tundras and Silverados. Some are even throwing money at "blinging" their HiLuxes, Navaras and Rangers.

#35 ·
I see quite a few VW Amarok's kitted to the gunwales around Helsinki area, not to mention the HiLux/Izuzu guys. Mercs reputation in commercial vehicles is as good as its passanger cars as have been pointed out by several posters already, G-wagen is a legend, only Defender comes close.

So, I think this is a good move from MB and can't wait to see the endresult. Having said that, the 1st rendering seems to have been beated to death with the ugly stick.

Maybe this will stir some movement in GM's side as well. People do buy pick-ups in Europe too.. ;)

-J

#46 ·
LOL. That will go over in US-America like a lead brick. :fall:

#45 ·
Europe. Latin Amurrica. Australia. Sou'Africa.

No USA?

I was going to say, this sukkah better have a dooley option, with ads done by a radio-voice southern accent homeboy, or it will be just another punk in the peanut gallery.

#55 ·
The crux of it is how far into the American paradigm Mercedes is willing to stray. They already have a vanlike pickup. Seems certain that's not what the plans are about, but are they really going in for the 'pony car' like manliness of the V8 and unnecessarily jacked up suspension, the 1/8" thick 'saddle' leather seating option etc?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.