GM Inside News Forum banner

Mercedes-Benz X-Class Concepts Revealed, Nissan Navara Never Looked So Good

4K views 36 replies 28 participants last post by  CJH 
#1 ·
Mercedes-Benz X-Class Concepts Revealed, Nissan Navara Never Looked So Good
October 25, 2016 |
BY Michael Karkafiris
Carscoops

Mercedes unveiled not one, but two pickup truck concepts previewing the regular production version of the X-Class.

Each of the two new concepts represents a different character, with the Stylish Explorer offering a premium and sporty experience while the Powerful Adventurer is the rugged hardcore off-roader.

The Stylish Explorer is set to preview most accurately the regular production double-cab X-Class model, with a plush interior, sporty bumpers and a set of big, 22-inch alloy wheels. The Powerful Adventurer on the other hand boasts a huge ground clearance, extra body cladding complete with wider wheel arches and off-road wheels and tires.

"With the X-Class, we will close one of the last gaps in our portfolio," said Mercedes-Benz boss Dieter Zetsche. "Our target is to offer customers vehicles matching their specific needs. The pick-up will set new standards in a growing segment."

Entry-level models will be offered with RWD as standard, with the all-wheel drive system offered as an option. The engine range will include four-pot petrol and diesel units without providing more information, with the show cars being powered by a V6 diesel engine which is expected to sit at the top of the range. The AWD V6-equipped X-Class can carry more than 1.1 ton, with a towing capacity of up to 3.5 tons.

See less See more
#4 ·
What ever.

A truck for people who like the idea/look of a truck but don't much need a truck. They'll sell a million of them.

#6 · (Edited)
I remember my ex-co-worker (Mercedes fanatic) laughing at Americans when he saw on TV Putin visit at G.Bush ranch. They commuted there in white Ford pick-up trucks. Let me quote him 'look at that American ****, look at those cars, what a crap, don't they have a limousine? what an embarrassment to treat Your guest by making him be chauffeured in a **** like that! Those f** Americans don't make elegant cars or what?!?'
I must find him on FB and send him this new elegant Mercedes product.
:lmao:

#8 ·
One thing I like about the German vehicles is they don't look like anything else on the road and part of what makes them premium. This truck looks like other trucks on the road with an enormous Mercedes star.... Takes away from some of the mystique for me.

#9 · (Edited)
I agree for the most part. I think they realized they needed more volume for higher economies of scale, long term. Which is why the CLA exists and now a PU. Can't say that I like it/them going down market, but I understand why they are doing it.

#22 ·
A Mercedes -Benz pick-up by 2018 have been reported but not looking like this, this concept is much more car-like than what was first reported. This will sell unless it prices out at 60K. There will be more competition from Hyundai and maybe Fiat and Ford in the next few years and gas prices will have little effect on sales. The 4 cylinder will be offered but a twin turbo V-6 would peak interest. Hell I might even relent and downsize from a 1/2 ton.

#31 ·
I like this one. Reminds me of the M-B vehicles they used in one of the Jurassic Park movies. I'd buy one, but I know they're not coming here. However, I would like to know when the redesigned Nissan Frontier/Navara will get here. It will be a better truck because of this M-B collaboration.

#32 ·
A little overdone in some areas but over all I like it.
Not everyone needs a full size bed. Most urban and suburban home owners don't.
But a bed sure beats a trunk or even the cargo area of a SUV/CUV for bags of mulch, fertilizer, other landscaping materials.
A small bed truck is perfect once they get over their testosterone fueled 'bigger is better' immature frame of mind and engage their brain.

#34 · (Edited)
You all must have NEVER laid eyes on Mercedes-Benz line of heavy duty/commercial vehicles. I'm only surprised they outsourced to do this and didn't do it when the Cadillac Escalade EXT was flying off of dealer lots.

I just saw a press thing about this and it made me even MORE mad at Cadillac than I was at the fact that they don't have any crossovers from GLA to GLS to compete with Mercedes other than the Escalade. The MB spokesman had to nerve to say "its the only vehicle of its kind" and "MB breaks new grounds with this idea" and everyone watched in awe like the Cadillac EXT NEVER existed. If Twitter/IG/Snapchat/FB and all other social media is any hint at how much of a hit this would be over here and MB is paying attention: those of you that think this isn't coming to the USA are SADLY mistaken.

#36 ·
You haven't the slightest clue how MB works given the statements you made.

1) Their whole business model is to outsource vehicles that would require too much investment given the relatively low profit margin/inability to scale. The Navara was a perfect target for this.
2) Given that it isn't coming to the U.S. at this time, it is breaking new grounds with this idea and it is, in fact, the only vehicle of its kind right now. This is targeted heavily to markets like Australia, South Africa, and certain parts of Europe.
3) Social media is a hilariously bad way of judging true purchase intentions for a car. These are the same people crying out for brown 6-speed manual station wagons that they will buy...wait for it...used. People with enough money to actually purchase an upmarket pickup like this without stupid-high incentives aren't usually the ones crying out on social media. Remember there's a lot of cost that goes along with certifying a car for U.S. consumption.
4) All this to say MBUSA is still evaluating it, although they know pickup demand is actually contracting here AND luxury pickups don't have staying power here historically.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.