Mercedes-Benz to Revise Nomenclature

5K views 44 replies 25 participants last post by  YEH 
#1 · (Edited)
Mercedes-Benz to Revise Nomenclature
M-class First Up, Becomes GLE-class Early Next Year

caranddriver.com

August 25, 2014
By Jens Meiners

We’ve learned that Mercedes-Benz will revise a large chunk of its nomenclature, with the first changes coming early next year. The vehicle at the top of the list is the current third-generation M-class; it is due to be face-lifted in early 2015, and the refresh will bring with it a change to the GLE moniker. The crossover-coupe version—previewed by the Concept Coupe SUV pictured above—will be called the GLE Coupe. We first heard of the change from the German site Mercedes-Benz Passion, and we have been able to corroborate the story with our own sources.

The GLE and GLE Coupe monikers are part of a larger renaming strategy that will attempt to make the vast Mercedes-Benz lineup a bit more lucid to customers. Mercedes has already made one such switch, re-rechristening the CL-class as the S-class Coupe with the latest-generation models. Insiders we contacted compared the move to Audi’s mid-1990s renaming spree, which saw the Audi 80 become the A4 and the Audi 100 the A6.

The “E” in GLE is intended to hint at M-B’s similarly sized sedan model. Down the road, the GLK replacement will be the C-class–based GLC, and it will again slot between the GLA and the GLE. (Mercedes continues to contemplate a coupe version of the GLC, as well.) We won’t lament the passing of “ML” badging; it was a compromise forced by BMW, which objected to Mercedes-Benz using M on the butts of its first-ever mainstream SUV. We’re working to get more details on Benz’s new naming strategy as we type—so stay tuned.

See less See more
#9 · (Edited)
Well.... To me this change does make sense.

G > GL > GLE > GLK/C > GLA

Besides, it was a little nebulous wether it was "M-Class" or "ML-Class."

Yes. The M/ML has a lot of recognition. And that's too bad. But it'll be OK. It's not a titanic shift like when Mercedes moved from Number-oriented nomenclature to the Letter-oriented nomenclature. Plus it aligns to Mercedes removing the CL and CLK models and folding them back into S and E.

#30 · (Edited)
Has to do with among other things..... tryin' out a bunch of i4s both gasser and diesel ..... in markets where you wouldn't normally and or in the past, see that.

Besides, they've been falling behind BMW on model name length - and Audi's been winning the more sensible designation / volume improvement race.

#19 ·
The CUVs should all go by ML, since that name has been around for over 15 years. MLS > MLE > MLC > MLA

Their SUV, G-Class, stays the same.

What happens to the CLS and CLA? Is "CL" for 4-door coupés? The next CLS would have to be renamed "CLE". CLS > CLE (CLS) > CLC > CLA? Wouldn't it be better if they just folded them into A/C/E/S? E-Class Gran Coupé?

SLS > SLE (SL) > SLC/SLK? Is that right? Isn't the next SLS supposed to be called "SLC"?

#29 ·
The CUVs should all go by ML, since that name has been around for over 15 years. MLS > MLE > MLC > MLA

Their SUV, G-Class, stays the same.
Well that's not confusing at all. The ML is now the outlier with all the SUV's using "G"
Have we all forgotten the time when the GLK was supposed to be the MLK? Apparently.

MLK would have made more sense as it's an ML-Class "Kurz." (But it's not really even ML-Class, is it. It's M-Class.)
Furthermore, ML was a "Multi-purpose Light" but really had no meaning. Similar to CL (Comfort Light) and SL (Sport Light).
G = Geländewagen (Cross country vehicle).

What happens to the CLS and CLA? Is "CL" for 4-door coupés? The next CLS would have to be renamed "CLE". CLS > CLE (CLS) > CLC > CLA? Wouldn't it be better if they just folded them into A/C/E/S? E-Class Gran Coupé?
You'd assume that a future CLS would be based on a W222? Would there be a market? I dunno.
There is a CLC on its way. I suppose CLS could become CLE if Mercedes were to realign the line.

SLS > SLE (SL) > SLC/SLK? Is that right? Isn't the next SLS supposed to be called "SLC"?
SLS is discontinued. SLC was thought to be the new name; however, it's just AMG GT.

So it's just SL and SLK (Sport Light and Sport Light Kurz).

#23 ·
I've always wondered why the ML wasn't just the M, since there wasn't a non-light version of the ML...now I know.

Fixing some confusion wouldn't be bad though. I never understood why the CLS started with a C...I read that as "C-light-special"...I guess it can count as special since it's a 4 door coupe but not a "light" C class since it's bigger than a C

#36 ·
I wish Cadillac would look at all the other luxury brands (like the one in this thread) and say, "let's not use 'The Alphabet Soup' naming convention". They don't need to use names like Fleetwood, or Deville. They've used plenty of fascinating and intriguing names on concept cars, in the last decade or so. Can't someone be ORIGINAL for Pete's sake? Ugh. Remember the Cadillac BLS (offered overseas)? The name sounded like an STD, or some other communicable disease!!

*End Sunday Sermon*

#40 ·
No one has to worry about lost brand value in the M/ML/whatever else they rename. With the exception of the S-Class, people are buying the MB brand name. (With the S they're specifically buying that model.)

MB names are the pinnacle of alphabet soup mess. Any change they make will be for the better.

#42 ·
MB names are the pinnacle of alphabet soup mess. Any change they make will be for the better.

The main Mercedes lines are A, C, E, and S -- coupe and sedan.
The CUVs will absorb that line by placing a "GL" in front, so you have GLA, GLC, GLE, and GLS.
Similarly, you have SL and SLC (SLC being the replacement for SLK, so it's aligning to the C-Class).

G, B, CLA, CLS, AMG GT will become the outliers.

As discussed earlier in this thread, Mercedes could easily evolve the CLS into a S-Class-type car, and bring in a "CLE" to compete with A7. The new CLS could be more of a competitor to Quattroporte and Panamera.

That would keep B, G and AMG GT the only outliers.

#45 · (Edited)
The “E” in GLE is intended to hint at M-B’s similarly sized sedan model. Down the road, the GLK replacement will be the C-class–based GLC, and it will again slot between the GLA and the GLE. (Mercedes continues to contemplate a coupe version of the GLC, as well.) We won’t lament the passing of “ML” badging; it was a compromise forced by BMW, which objected to Mercedes-Benz using M on the butts of its first-ever mainstream SUV. We’re working to get more details on Benz’s new naming strategy as we type—so stay tuned.
This is why the next gen SRX staying FWD-based makes no sense, esp. in light of plans for a RWD-based Omega based CUV and the insistence that a sub-ATS sedan will remain RWD.

Cadillac's CUV lineup should compete against that of MB and BMW and not Lexus, Lincoln, Acura, etc.

Maybe the SRX will eventually make its way to RWD (on the basis that the current midsize platform is too narrow to properly do CUV-duty), but it's silly to have the Omega-based CUV compete against the GL and BMW's upcoming 3-row while have the SRX compete against the RX (on the assumption that both grow a bit), MDX and MKX.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.