Marchionne’s Dart Letdown Shows Chrysler Still Lacks Cars

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marchionne’s Dart Letdown Shows Chrysler Still Lacks Cars

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Bloomberg
    January 22, 2013
    by Craig Trudell & Mark Clothier

Chrysler Group LLC’s pairing up with Fiat SpA (F) was supposed to transform its car lineup into one that Americans would covet, starting with the much-hyped Dodge Dart’s debut a year ago. So far, buyers aren’t budging.

Taking on some of the most popular models on the road, the new Dodge is off to a slow start. Chrysler sold just one Dart for every five Civics that Honda Motor Co. retailed the last four months of 2012. General Motors Co. (GM)’s Chevrolet Cruze, the No. 4 compact car in the market, outsold the Dart almost 4-to-1 during that span.

The Dart’s early letdown is a rare blemish in Chrysler Chief Executive Officer Sergio Marchionne’s turnaround, which includes a 33-month streak of rising U.S. sales and three years of market-share gains. The car’s underperformance illustrates an unresolved challenge that helped thrust the automaker into bankruptcy: convincing buyers it has more to offer than sport- utility vehicles, pickups, minivans and big sedans.

“Fiat has the smaller-car expertise, they’re the European maker, and there were high expectations for that to work,” Joe Langley, an analyst for LMC Automotive, said in a telephone interview. “But Chrysler is playing in a space where they’re going to have to conquest buyers, and you have a lot of consumers that are going to stick to what they know and trust.”

Chrysler’s sales gains are built on the familiar standbys -- Ram pickups, SUVs from the Jeep brand such as Grand Cherokee, and the Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town & Country minivans.

Full article at link.
    Last edited by ne_one; 01-23-2013 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Formatting: please refer to the guide at the top of the Submit a News Article forum.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Re: Marchionne’s Dart Letdown Shows Chrysler Still Lacks Cars

For the Marchionne fans out there, please tell me what he has done (other than interview well) that deserves the accolades?

Keep in mind that the Jeep Grand Cherokee was developed pre-Marchionne, same with the 3.6 and I believe even the 9 speed was started before him. Redesigning interiors is extremely low dangling fruit - anyone could and would have done that. And Chrysler is making small profits (in comparison to Ford and GM) - not too hard in a recovering market and a cleaned up balance sheet from the bankruptcy. And also keep in mind that Fiat is in shambles. Fiat is an entry level maker with good fuel efficiency - the kind of car manufacturer that I would expect to do well in a bad economy. So again, what has he done that is so great (other than getting Chrysler for free)?

Don't get me wrong, I want Chrysler to succeed! I just want someone to tell me what the great things are that he has done.
    Last edited by BlackGTP; 01-23-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Thanks

Is there anything wrong with the Dart, aside from the manual trans only intro?
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

Thanks

I still get a Neon vibe from the Dart and it's going to take years for Dodge to loose that stigma.

Thanks
    My Ride
    CTA trains and buses

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    Dart's current powertrains are among the worst in their segment for overall performance and refinement. The 2.0L Tigershark engine is lacking in low-end torque and feels sluggish, the 1.4T engine exhibits very nonlinear power delivery, and the dual clutch transmission's programming makes it very difficult to attain smoothness at low speeds.

On the upside, an E85 flex-fuel version of 2.0L Tigershark engine is expected to debut in Dodge Dart later this year.
    My modes of transportation: CTA 'L' & buses, Metra, Pace bus, rental cars (usually GM), taxicabs, bicycling, and walking.
    Member of the "I will never purchase a new car" club.
    Get the facts about ethanol and biofuels in the USA!

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz

Nonsense, he's perfect, duh!

Thanks
    My Ride

Yeah, no one is buying it

Thanks
    My Ride
    CTA trains and buses

Quote Originally Posted by jzchev28 View Post
    Nonsense, he's perfect, duh!
    Almost perfect. Speaking to Steve Kroft on 60 Minutes last year, Marchionne stated that Chrysler can afford to "screw up" one car.

From the interview:

Steve Kroft: What's the biggest challenge facing Chrysler right now?

Sergio Marchionne: That we're gonna slip on execution, we're gonna get something wrong. Big.

Steve Kroft: Like what?

Sergio Marchionne: We're gonna screw up on a car. It won't sell. It's possible.

Steve Kroft: Can you afford that?

Sergio Marchionne: One car, yes. Now I can afford a car. Twelve months ago, it would have been a-- it would have been a disaster. But now I can take the pain. One car.
    My modes of transportation: CTA 'L' & buses, Metra, Pace bus, rental cars (usually GM), taxicabs, bicycling, and walking.
    Member of the "I will never purchase a new car" club.
    Get the facts about ethanol and biofuels in the USA!

Thanks
    My Ride
    Impala/2009/Silver

Until they stop fire saling the Avenger and 200 that car will never sell very well.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) megeebee's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roy219 View Post
    Almost perfect. Speaking to Steve Kroft on 60 Minutes last year, Marchionne stated that Chrysler can afford to "screw up" one car.

From the interview:

Steve Kroft: What's the biggest challenge facing Chrysler right now?

Sergio Marchionne: That we're gonna slip on execution, we're gonna get something wrong. Big.

Steve Kroft: Like what?

Sergio Marchionne: We're gonna screw up on a car. It won't sell. It's possible.

Steve Kroft: Can you afford that?

Sergio Marchionne: One car, yes. Now I can afford a car. Twelve months ago, it would have been a-- it would have been a disaster. But now I can take the pain. One car.
    .... Oh brother.

Imagine the poison ink and equity downgrades that would have poured from the media if Dan Ackerson or Allan Mulally had said something like this.

I still don't understand the awe so many hold for this man. This time last year, he was under the gun (again) because Fiats were sitting on lots un loved. He and his marketing people are/ were rather arrogant at the time. Perhaps it's different now. Anyway, I do love that the Europeans have trouble figuring out the American middle market.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt Blue Topaz

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    For the Marchionne fans out there, please tell me what he has done (other than interview well) that deserves the accolades?
    He has done a lot to improve quality and supplier relations. One example was cam shafts for the 3.6L were machined in Mexico. They had a large reject rate on these parts. He quickly had the company in-source the parts onsite to their engine plant in Trenton Michigan and quality improved.

It will be a few years before we can actually see signifigant results as to what affect Sergio has on the company. From what I hear and see he has done a lot of good things within the company from a management standpoint.

I sat in a mid level Dart. The rear seat headroom is terrible. You need to be 5ft tall to fit. Also I found the interior quality to still be lacking the competition. The interior looks good in pictures but not so much in person. Also to get the nice features and pretty stuff you need to tick a lot of boxes and they can add up.
    Last edited by MechEng; 01-23-2013 at 11:09 AM.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I'll tell you what he's done, Sergio is grrrrrate at putting lipstick on outdated pigs.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

I know a group of High School kids from Huntand TN got burned up in one in Hazel Green AL, a few months back. It exploded on impact. I also think it is priced a bit high and it is a questionalble new car competing against established and well regarded Focus and Cruze...and yawn Civic/corolla.

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

imagine a dealer trying to sell this car and the customer reads this from the CEO.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 Mercedes-Benz C320 4Matic

It's a friggin' Fiat.
    No one wants to be Fix It Again Tony's guinea pig.
    I got tired of waiting for GM to make a FWD convertible.

2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Sport Spyder
    2005 Mercedes-Benz C320 4Matic

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information