GM Inside News Forum banner

Kia unveils GTI-fighting pro_cee'd GT

4K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  YEH 
#1 ·
I think it looks a LOT like a cross between Fords Fiesta and Focus....but then we go back to the same thing...how many ways differently can you style a car?

full article here: http://www.leftlanenews.com/kia-pro-ceed-gt.html

Kia has released the first official images of the 2013 pro_cee'd GT, a hot hatch aimed at the iconic Volkswagen GTI. Based on the regular pro_cee'd, the car was designed to boost Kia's image on the European market and lure younger buyers into showrooms.

The pro_cee'd GT has been given a sporty exterior treatment by Peter Schreyer, the brand's former design chief and current president. The modifications include aggressive bumpers on both ends, a race-inspired plastic mesh grille up front and aerodynamic side skirts. Four-point LED daytime running lights and unique 18-inch wheels finish off the look.

The pictures released by Kia reveal very little about the pro_cee'd GT's ****pit but the South Korean automaker promises that Recaro bucket seats, alloy pedals and a complete instrumentation are part of the deal.

#13 ·
I doubt it's coming to the States.

1. It doesn't have 5 doors (or 4 like its oddball Veloster cousin).

2. It's a hatchback - "we" don't like hatchbacks, of course, unless they are found on crossovers.

3. It's just not ugly enough for our market (see Veloster, Juke, etc.).

#4 ·
Under the hood lies the same turbocharged 1.6-liter four-banger that powers the Hyundai Veloster Turbo. Linked to a six-speed manual transmission, the mill sends 201 horsepower and 195 lb-ft. of torque to the front set of wheels, enabling the GT to sprint from zero to 62 mph in 7.9 seconds.

0-60 in eight seconds with a 6M 200 HP and 2700-odd pounds? More like under seven?

#14 ·
It definitely has the right look for the class and if this is the base engine KIA might have something here. The Veloster is selling very well despite a more lackluster base engine and out of the box styling and features which tends to scare off more people.

VW gets ripped on for their evolutionary changes to the Golf but it has resulted in an extremely refined car for the class in which this first year KIA has no hopes in achieving. The GTI and Ford ST will easily outclass this car in refinement and interior but this car won't be rapidly approaching $30,000k either.

I say bravo to KIA on an excellent first effort that will improve rapidly and hopefully show that more Americans will buy a hot hatch when done right.

#25 · (Edited)
I couldn't have said it better. Ford and VW are also using a larger engines.

The 2.0 Ecoboost makes 252hp and 270 Torque (lb. ft. @ 2500 rpm) which I had the pleasure to drive about month ago. Great little pocket rocket once I figured out how to get comfortable in the seats. I was told by the owner that it cost approx 33K. (Loaded ST) Curb Weight 3223 lb

The GTI also turbocharged has the 2.0 making 200hp and 207 Torque (lb. ft. @ 1700 rpm). Curb Weight 3113 lb

The New Kia turbo will be equipped with a 201 hp and 195 lb-ft. turbocharged 1.6. Est Curb Weight 2800 lb.

Dont have any figures but with proper tuning this car could be in the race. It would be very hard to overcome the 270 Torque (lb. ft. @ 2500 rpm) the Ford ST has.

I rank the Focus ST a must drive if someone will let you drive it the way I was able too. Kudo to Kia for getting in the game.

GM had the Cruze and nothing from them yet. Instead of dogging Kia its GM you should dog. They are at least in the competition. What say you GM?

#16 · (Edited)
CD's test of manual/automatic Veloster 1.6 turbo, similar weight and aero likely:
0-60: 7.3/6.8
100: 19.0/20.4
120: 34.4/38.4
1/4: 15.5@91/15.4@90
top: 139 governed

CD drag racer hotshoe said "1-2 shift sucks life from the engine."

#17 ·
Wake me up when it has AWD, 280-300 HP and can go 0-60 in mid to low 5's. Snooze.

#18 ·
^^And BTW is built by Pontiac Motor Division?

#23 ·
I'll be sleeping for a while then. ;)

There is no shortage of 200 HP FWD vehicles out there. This joins that list for me. I've filed it in the "who cares" category. Nothing special to see here, move along.

#22 ·
And is available with Sign-N-Drive, has a 5/60 B-B warranty and a 10/100...oops!

#29 ·
08. 2012 MINI Cooper John Cooper Works

The pint-size MINI Cooper John Cooper Works sits just $100 under the price limit of our fastest cars under $30k challenge. The quickest MINI available off of the showroom floor, the MINI Cooper John Cooper Works edition packs big brakes, a flashy body kit, and a nimble suspension system that enhances the already appreciable driving dynamics of the subcompact hatchback. The John Cooper Works model also includes a turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine that puts out 208 horsepower and 192 lb-ft of torque, which is enough to propel the MINI to 60-mph in a respectable 6.2 seconds. Transmission choice for the turbo hatchback is restricted to a six-speed manual.

http://www.autobytel.com/car-buying-guides/features/10-of-the-fastest-cars-under-30k-112807/9/

#32 ·
Yeahwhatever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.