GM Inside News Forum banner

Kia Stinger RWD Sports Saloon Coming Next Year?

6K views 45 replies 26 participants last post by  YEH 
#1 ·
Kia Stinger RWD Sports Saloon Coming Next Year?
Carscoops
by Cristian Gnaticov
June 12, 2016

Codenamed CK, the vehicle has been confirmed by Kia Australia's COO, Damien Meredith, who had trouble hiding his enthusiasm in an interview with Motoring and said that it will go official in 2017: "We can't wait for CK. It will be here in the third quarter of next year, in two specifications, priced from about AUD $40,000 (USD $29,830)."

With key rivals such as the Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon in mind for the Oz market, Meredith has high hopes when it comes to the Stinger: "It's perfect timing. CK will arrive just before the unfortunate demise of Australian car manufacturing, and it will appeal to the same buyers in that segment. It's great opportunity for us."
*Full Article at Link

See less See more
#3 ·
The large car market might be shrinking here but overall it still makes a lot of sales if Kia can land it here and price it similar to what the Commodore is priced at then they might get some sales, this car has a few people excited as once the commodore and Falcon are gone there are no other rwd sedans available around the 40K mark the lack of a V8 might be a down side but to me the omprtant thing is having a decent sized rwd sedan I can live with a turbo V6 if its pushing out some decent numbers.

#6 · (Edited)
Ford and GM are (apparently) are abandoning the affordable rwd sedan market next year, but Kia seems to make the business case?
I wouldn't say apparently I would say are abandoning, as it's been said many times before GMNA are the only ones that can't eningeer are car for both RHD and LHD every other company can do it and it seems can find business cases for it.

#10 ·
I've been expecting this from Hyundai or Kia, just makes too much sense to fill the niche and benefit from a lot of goodwill. When you look at the success Hyundai is already having in Australia, adding this and a small pickup would lock in the lead for sure.

#12 ·
A pickup is all that Hyundai is missing here, sales are starting to take off to them and I only expect them to get better as they recon the aussie dollar has dropped against the yen so I've heard there are going to be price rises for all the Japanese imports here.
Kia sales are on the up as well and this car is really going to fill a gap in the market and once the local made RWD cars are gone Kia can really make that part of the market their own if they play things smart and price it right.
A 40K naturally aspirated V6 model and a turbo V6 performance model for around 50K fits in around about what Holden is selling the VF now it needs to have just fraction more interior space then the Optima, not that the Optima is that bad inside as far interior space.
The large sedan market is really going to be up in the air and the new model commodore isn't going to touch the sales the current one has.
I'm driving an SV6 wagon this week to review and nothing touches it as far interior space and practicality, having driven a lot of the mid size FWD sedans on sale here none of them have same driving dynamics as the SV6 you can't beat RWD specially if your like me and like to give it a red hot go every now and again.

#27 · (Edited)
^ It's priced well below its competition from Germany - the E Class, 5 Series, etc.

The pricing gap isn't as large with the Japanese competition and in particular Infiniti, but Hyundai still managed to sell more Genesis sedans in Australia last year than the entire Infiniti brand.

At the $30k AU price-point, this wouldn't be a luxury sedan nor likely be equipped w/ a V6.

The Chrysler 300 starts at nearly $38k AU and the 300C Luxury at $54k.

The interior of the new Cadenza is about equivalent to the 300C and that's FWD.

This will not only be RWD, but have a more luxurious interior than either the Cadenza or 300C (and probably even the Genesis based on how Kia has often outdone Hyundai when it has come to interior quality).

#41 ·
^^What is that, a giant spider eating the driver?

Reactions: sfbreh
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.