KIA: Schreyer OUT as Chief Design Officer; IN as President,

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KIA: Schreyer OUT as Chief Design Officer; IN as President,

Administrator Premium Member Rex Raider's Avatar
    Thanks

KIA: Schreyer OUT as Chief Design Officer; IN as President,

SEOUL (Reuters) - Peter Schreyer, known for his design contributions to the iconic Audi TT, became the first foreign president of Kia Motors Corp (000270.KS: Quote) as the South Korean carmaker enters the next phase of its branding transformation.

Schreyer, who joined Kia from Volkswagen AG (VOWG_p.DE: Quote) in 2006 and was subsequently linked to the rise of the Hyundai Motor Co (005380.KS: Quote) affiliate, was promoted from chief design officer and executive vice president on Friday.

The promotion is a clear sign of Kia and Hyundai Motor's ambition to outdo German rivals Volkswagen and BMW (BMWG.DE: Quote) in design - a key part of a strategy that has helped the South Korean duo ramp up sales and gain market share even during the global economic downturn in 2009.

"We should not have let him go," Volkswagen's Chairman Ferdinand Piech told Automotive News in an interview in November.

Born in Germany in 1953, Schreyer was reportedly brought in by then Kia president Chung Eui-sun - the only son and heir apparent of the 74-year-old Hyundai Motor Chairman Chung Mong-koo.

Before joining Kia, Schreyer thought Kia's designs were "neutral."

"I thought I wanted to give Kia a character and a family feel... If you come to a country and you see a Kia, you should recognize it immediately, like you recognize a BMW or Mercedes immediately," he said in an interview with Reuters in March.

Schreyer went on to create a "tiger-nose" grille for Kia, previously known for its nondescript but value-for-money image.

In one stroke, the former Audi designer gave a distinct face to Kia models ranging from the small Picanto to the Forte and Optima sedans.

Kia, acquired by Hyundai Motor in 1998 during the Asian financial crisis, has been expanding sales at a faster pace than Hyundai Motor in markets such as the United States and Europe.

Full Article at Link:
    http://ca.reuters.com/article/busine...nnel=0&sp=true

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Dodge Stratus R/T coupe

Re: KIA: Schreyer OUT as Chief Design Officer; IN as President,

That is an interesting development! Congrats to him!

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15Soul+ Yellow; 01 PT LTD

Like wow man. Diesels coming to US-America?

15Soul 13Charger 13Soul 11V6200 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02cordV6 01cord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCiv 96Concorde 95trep 94Protege 92SHO 93Protege 92P50Taurus

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly. --John F. Kennedy

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Peter Schreyer after forging a strong relationship with Xerox in the design department is finally given a task that is far more in depth than hitting the copy button.

Thanks
    My Ride
    96 Viper GTS/11 MINI Cooper S

Meanwhile, GM gets its executives from telephone companies and Frito Lay. NO, why would you want an executive who understands THE PRODUCT? Not needed. Cars are just like selling cans of Coke. (sarcasm off). Plus, you will notice that VW admitted, "We should not have let him get away". VW gets it. GM lets incredible talent (car guy talent) walk out the door. It is amazing that GM had SO MUCH talent that it has been able to bleed this badly this long, and still be able to put out as many good cars as they do. I will be so glad when this era is over, and we get more executives at the top who have passion, knowledge, and experience with automobiles.
    Toyota--The Official Vehicle of Terrorist Everywhere

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Like wow man. Diesels coming to US-America?
    It doesn't need a change of President to achieve that - it needs a change in North American attitudes - like all brands sold around the world, Hyundai-Kia already produce world-leading diesels, the R-series I4 and related S-series V6, designed in-house in Germany.

Excluding the Detroit Diesels truck engines, Hyundai-Kia have achieved more in a short time than GM has achieved in a lifetime - namely a successful range of in-house designed car diesels.

Perversely, Hyundai-Kia are continuing to licence-build the now elderly VM Motori diesels, not for their own use but for use by GM Daewoo because GM can't / won't invest in their own diesels having used Isuzu, Fiat and VM Motori at various times.

If diesels take off in North America, then GM will miss the boat !!

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi

To correct the thread title, Peter Schreyer is retaining his position as Kia Chief Design Officer - his new position of Hyundai-Kia President is additional, not instead of.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JeffInDFW View Post
    Meanwhile, GM gets its executives from telephone companies and Frito Lay. NO, why would you want an executive who understands THE PRODUCT? Not needed. Cars are just like selling cans of Coke. (sarcasm off). Plus, you will notice that VW admitted, "We should not have let him get away". VW gets it. GM lets incredible talent (car guy talent) walk out the door. It is amazing that GM had SO MUCH talent that it has been able to bleed this badly this long, and still be able to put out as many good cars as they do. I will be so glad when this era is over, and we get more executives at the top who have passion, knowledge, and experience with automobiles.
    Well said! Lol
    RedSkyBlackDream

Thanks

GM designers Harley Earl, "Big" Bill Mitchell, Larry Shinoda, etc. led GM to 50%+ of market share in the 1960s. What happened? Other than the C5&6 Vette, name one outstanding looking GM vehicle since that time.
    1966 Corvair Corsa

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15Soul+ Yellow; 01 PT LTD

KIA gets Schreyer, GM gets Diet Coke. All is well in the world!

15Soul 13Charger 13Soul 11V6200 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02cordV6 01cord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCiv 96Concorde 95trep 94Protege 92SHO 93Protege 92P50Taurus

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly. --John F. Kennedy

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 F150 ecobeast 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    GM designers Harley Earl, "Big" Bill Mitchell, Larry Shinoda, etc. led GM to 50%+ of market share in the 1960s. What happened? Other than the C5&6 Vette, name one outstanding looking GM vehicle since that time.
    Well let's see .....there was the 1974 chevy vega, the 1981 chevy citation, the 1982 cadillac cimmaron , the 2000 chevy venture just to name a few

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I hope this means the next wave of Kia products handle as well as they look.

Kia is probably my favorite import brand right now. Design is top notch.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

I was hoping GM would woo him away from Kia. Oh well, mediocrity continues
    Last edited by steve333; 12-29-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JeffInDFW View Post
    With all the telephone executives, maybe that's why GM appears to phone it in........

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hunchman View Post
    Well let's see .....there was the 1974 chevy vega, the 1981 chevy citation, the 1982 cadillac cimmaron , the 2000 chevy venture just to name a few
    Roger B.Smith had smoked or drinked something unorthodox for giving the green light to the Cimarron in the form we knew today.....

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information