GM Inside News Forum banner

Jaguar offers free maintenance, cuts prices in U.S.

2K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  jpd80 
#1 ·
PAMPLONA, Spain -- Jaguar is lowering its prices and rolling out free scheduled maintenance in the United States to remove what customers cite as key reasons consumers reject the British brand: high purchase and maintenance costs.

The free EliteCare 5-year/60,000-mile scheduled maintenance warranty and new pricing will launch with the 2016 model year. On average, Jaguar is lowering the price of its cars between $1,500 and $3,000 by slashing the base price or increasing standard equipment, said Joe Eberhardt, CEO of Jaguar Land Rover North America. The repricing will make “all models significantly more affordable,” he said.

“The Jaguar brand is on the eve of a major transformation that will see it dramatically increase its presence in the United States luxury marketplace with an expanded lineup, pricing focused on the core of the luxury market and an all-new ownership package with best-in-class coverage,” Eberhardt said.

Jaguar's U.S. sales fell 4.4 percent to 10,221 cars through August.

To boost sales, Jaguar is lowering sticker prices in segments the brand wants to target, he said. “We will substantially increase equipment on vehicles where we will not lower the MSRP,” Eberhardt added.

For instance, the base price on the redesigned XF midsize sedan has been cut 9 percent, or $5,275, to $52,895, including shipping. The XF was the most expensive car in the segment, but Jaguar says it is now less than comparable V-6 versions of the Audi A6, BMW 5 series, Cadillac CTS and Mercedes-Benz E class.
http://www.autonews.com/article/20150903/RETAIL/150909946/jaguar-offers-free-maintenance-cuts-prices-in-u-s#

Reactions: AMERICA 123
#3 ·
Generally I'm not a huge fan of price reductions, particularly within luxury brands. But it is important to look at them on an individual basis, and here I have mixed thoughts:

XF - Not a bad idea. The volume base engine moves right in line with the Germans so it's good there. The high-output supercharged V-6 is priced like V-8-level competitors that have much more power, so we'll see what that type of customer thinks. Maybe it's temporary anyway with a new engine series on the horizon.

XJ - Eh. It's already a bargain within its segment towards the lower end at least, and as with Lexus and the LS I would be concerned that eventually it'll hold back the mid-luxury car (XF) as the "up-level" car will attract customers and reduce demand for a higher end XF (SVR excepted). I'd have at minimum held the line on pricing for the XJ, if not increased it.

F-Type - No. It is probably a second (or third) car by and large for a lot of its buyers, and if someone can afford an entertainment piece of such caliber then I doubt a price reduction of a few grand will motivate much in the way of new sales, so it'll mainly be lost profit? At least that's my estimation.

But the big news is the maintenance program, which could actually be effective it it works out and is well advertised. It won't mean too much if people aren't that aware or if it becomes a financial problem for Jaguar due to actual reliability issues and cost concerns.

#4 · (Edited)
Interesting -

Like the flow with this ( entire ) section -

The free EliteCare 5-year/60,000-mile scheduled maintenance warranty and new pricing will launch with the 2016 model year.

On average, Jaguar is lowering the price of its cars between $1,500 and $3,000 by slashing the base price or increasing standard equipment, said Joe Eberhardt, CEO of Jaguar Land Rover North America. The repricing will make “all models significantly more affordable,” he said.

“The Jaguar brand is on the eve of a major transformation that will see it dramatically increase its presence in the United States luxury marketplace with an expanded lineup, pricing focused on the core of the luxury market and an all-new ownership package with best-in-class coverage,” Eberhardt said.

Jaguar's U.S. sales fell 4.4 percent to 10,221 cars through August.

To boost sales, Jaguar is lowering sticker prices in segments the brand wants to target, he said. “We will substantially increase equipment on vehicles where we will not lower the MSRP,” Eberhardt added.

For instance, the base price on the redesigned XF midsize sedan has been cut 9 percent, or $5,275, to $52,895, including shipping. The XF was the most expensive car in the segment, but Jaguar says it is now less than comparable V-6 versions of the Audi A6, BMW 5 series, Cadillac CTS and Mercedes-Benz E class.

Equipment levels across the range have been improved 10 to 20 percent. Base prices on the F-Type coupe or convertible remain the same, but the cars have between $4,000 and $12,000 of additional standard equipment, depending on the model.

Jaguar was often perceived as one of the most expensive brands and buyer surveys showed that price is the top reason a consumer will reject a luxury brand.

With the new price strategy, “we are positioned at the heart depending on how you do the price comparison,” Eberhardt said. “Directionally, we are below all the Germans and we are par or slightly above the Asia or domestic competitors.”

And reality is...... both before and also after JdN shows up......... Cadillac pursues anything but this....

How odd.

.............then again though , Lincoln.... and all their 'friends'..... thanks them for the support.......

Of course, they ( Jaguar ) are planning to do more than just what is described in the article.....

And then there is the related news for the other half of the team, ie Land Rover.

Land Rover to roll out two diesels in October

Diana T. Kurylko

Automotive News | September 1, 2015 - 12:56 pm EST

-- UPDATED: 9/1/15 5:01 pm ET - adds detail

BARCELONA, Spain -- Land Rover expects its first U.S. diesel vehicles will account for up to 20 percent of sales for the two SUVs powered by the new-generation engines.

The Range Rover Td6 and Range Rover Sport Td6 go on sale in October and will cost about $1,500 more than the gasoline V-6 models.

“It signifies a whole new level of efficiency for Land Rover.

It will capture a very loyal customer -- diesel buyers have a higher loyalty rate than gas or hybrid buyers,”
said Rob Filipovic, product planning manager for Jaguar Land Rover North America.

Filipovic said Land Rover did not expect the diesels to cannibalize gasoline-engine sales and “we expect a high level of conquest.”:yup::clap::tup::

The Range Rover Sport will start at $67,445 and the larger Range Rover at $87,445, including shipping.

Land Rover sold 51,465 vehicles in the U.S. last year. Through August, it has sold 42,548 units, up 20.5 percent from the year-ago period.

“Over the next couple of years, we will have diesel available on the entire sedan and SUV lineup, “Filipovic said.

__

Also, Land Rover’s sibling Jaguar brand will add a diesel version of the redesigned XF midsize sedan. Jaguar has announced plans for a diesel for the all-new compact XE sedan.

Both vehicles will get a new 2.0-liter diesel engine next summer. The redesigned XF gasoline-powered car goes on sale this fall and the XE debuts in April.

“The diesel-powered cars will stretch Jaguar fuel economy to over 40 mpg, making them the most efficient in the company’s history,” Filipovic said.

More than 50 percent of Land Rovers sold worldwide are diesels, said Alan Jones, engineering director for diesel. In Europe, that number rises to 90 percent.

Jones said Land Rover decided to develop a cleaner diesel for the U.S. because of increased demand.

The U.S. diesel market has grown 26 percent since 2009 and last year had a 4.6 percent share of all U.S. light vehicles sold, Jones said.

“The take-up rate is in the 15 to 20 percent range, and we expect that for our models as well,” Jones said.

__

The V-6 diesel has driving characteristics similar to Land Rover’s 5.0-liter V-8 supercharged gasoline engine, he said. But the 3.0-liter diesel is 32 percent more fuel efficient than the gasoline V-6.

Combined fuel economy for both Range Rovers is an estimated 25 mpg. < Likely at or a little above perhaps considering both involved.... 22 - 25 - 28. >

The diesel engine generates 254 hp and 440 pounds-feet of torque at 1,750 rpm. The Range Rover Sport accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in 7.1 seconds and the Range Rover in 7.4 seconds -- nearly the same as the gasoline < Supercharged >V-6.

__

Land Rover concentrated on reducing engine noise levels in the cabin and “the diesels are quieter than many sedans,” Filipovic said. “The focus was to make sure the refinement lived up to Range Rover standards.”

Land Rover conducted blind tests with potential buyers in three U.S. cities -- Los Angeles, Denver and New York. “None of the testers could accurately identify the vehicles as a diesel,” Filipovic said.

The 2016 Range Rovers also have a new all-terrain program that maintains low speeds on various road surfaces ranging from slippery roads to rocky inclines. Standard equipment also includes a hands-free tailgate and remote access via a smartphone app of vehicle settings called InControl Remote and Protect. -

Entire contents © 2015 Crain Communications, Inc.

More @ the link.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...land-rover-to-roll-out-two-diesels-in-october

You can say this and you can say that about JLR........ but one stands out with regard to these announcements - and all the work started long ago to get to this point.

They're payin' attention.... and actually doing something to deal with what needs to be dealt with - for both Brands.

I can think of @ least two others in these arenas - personal heartfelt favorites of a sort.... who instead, think they are oh so clever that they can half step their to victory......

#5 ·
I was at the dealer yesterday picking up my car and bemoaning the fact that LR don't have free servicing like I had on my LR3. I went back today for them to adjust something they did yesterday ( very minor) and mentioned that for 2016 Jaguar is going to start offering free service and I hope that LR follow suit as I'm getting a new one ( or maybe a Cadillac!) in 11 months. The service writer didn't think they would but then the service manager overheard and said they will. If they didn't I was hoping for say $50 a month you could get some service contract. Hopefully that won't be necessary now.

#23 ·
The base price for the XE seems very competitive and if it's as good as the press are saying, coupled with the super sexy front end, this can't fail to be a hit for Jaguar in the U.S.

With the New XE, XF, F-Pace and MCE XJ Jaguar's sales should see a pretty healthy increase next year
Yes indeed.

Then again.... they are kinda' @ the go up .... or go out point.

Anyway, another item that suggests some real good stuff for the F Pace TD is the now official numbers for the 3.0 TD V6 / 8HP equipped LR RR TD6 / LR RR Sport TD6.....which came in strong - and bode well for the same in the F -Pace.

22 - 25 - 29 which is one heck of an accomplishment........ and suggests the strong possibility of some room to perhaps tweak some things around in the F -Pace..... and where ever else this one shows up in.... eventually.

#12 ·
So Jag is chopping prices across the entire brand and then playing up a warranty like a low brow mainstream brand called Hyundai. This is amazing. How many luxury brands do this and are still called "luxury?" I missing something. Hey Cadillac.. if U do this how much ridicule would U get with overly zealous so-called arm chair analysts saying that "I told U so?" I bet I could go search out a GMI "ELR Price cut" thread and find my answer. Jaguar. A European luxury brand and it still has to lose cachet and drop prices, not $1,000, not $2,000.. but over $5,000 and thrown in some freebies to boot.

#15 ·
So Jag is chopping prices across the entire brand and then playing up a warranty like a low brow mainstream brand called Hyundai. This is amazing. How many luxury brands do this and are still called "luxury?" I missing something.
BMW has also had free maintenance. It's not that new for a luxury brand, nor do I see it as a "cheap" thing. Lincoln and Volvo have also offered it.

#18 ·
I'll go out on a limb and predict that Jaguar sales will grow substantially next year.

Here is a cool F-Pace video.

This vehicle will print money for them. BTW I never ever desired a Mercedes. We all have different tastes and that's what make the World go around.

#22 ·
It's the tactic they've chosen, and I think it's a valid one. You can't grow a brand if no one will consider your vehicles, and now more people will likely consider a Jag. If the experience is a good one, the customer might buy another Jag in the future.

Oh, and I thought we had already accepted that the silly notion that wealthy people don't care about price and value. We're talking 50k Jags here, not million dollar exotic cars. This segment is absolutely considering price when they purchase.

#24 ·
It's the tactic they've chosen, and I think it's a valid one. You can't grow a brand if no one will consider your vehicles, and now more people will likely consider a Jag. If the experience is a good one, the customer might buy another Jag in the future.
Cadillac has free maintenance now doesn't it? And for a while, that free schedule maintenance was only offered on the highest top tier Cadillacs like XLR. It's a tactic that works.

Oh, and I thought we had already accepted that the silly notion that wealthy people don't care about price and value. We're talking 50k Jags here, not million dollar exotic cars. This segment is absolutely considering price when they purchase.
Wealthy people don't. But at the $50-55,000 range, there are a bunch of up and comers and social climbers that wouldn't mind saving a few bucks to look better on the road and to be more accepted in social circles. That's just the way things go.

Besides, it's not like the XF is "only" $52,000. It will ratchet upwards of $90,000, just like it always has.

Don't forget, Jaguar also offers cars that the wealthy do want -- F-Type and XJ -- both of which extend well into the $100,000 range and almost up to the $200,000 range. People on GMI tend to forget just how high Jaguar's lineup extends. They also forget just how high the Range Rover lineup extends too -- beyond $225,000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.