Ingenium: JLR reveals details of new engine family

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ingenium: JLR reveals details of new engine family

SKH
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    LR4 HSE LE Black 2012

Ingenium: JLR reveals details of new engine family

Considerably lighter than the Ford four cylinder engine that it will ultimately replace.

Jaguar Land Rover details efficient new Ingenium engine family
    Ingenium range of engines to start production next year and will be used in the upcoming Jaguar XE
    by Darren Moss
    9 July 2014

Jaguar Land Rover has revealed new details on its family of lightweight four-cylinder diesel and petrol engines, which will enter production in January 2015 and be fitted first into the Jaguar XE.

The new powertrain family weighs up to 80kg less than the firm's current engine offerings, while also improving performance and reducing CO2 emissions.

All engines in the range share the same bore, stroke and cylinder spacing, with each cylinder offering 500cc. JLR says the Ingenum family offers the "configurability and flexibility around which smaller or larger engines can quickly and efficiently be developed" in the future.

Autocar understands that a three-cylinder spin-off unit is a direct possibility and a straight six engine is ‘theoretically’ possible. The engine family can be used for front-drive, rear-drive and all-wheel drive.

CONTINUE AT AUTOCAR.CO.UK
    Last edited by nadepalma; 07-10-2014 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Edited to move to news ticker

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SKH For This Useful Post:

cad1cts (07-10-2014)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,367 Times in 763 Posts

Re: Jaguar-land rover reveal details of new ingenium engine family

Yup. We pretty much knew most of that already from the rumor mill.

The XE having a top speed of 186 is a good thing too.

2010 Mercedes E350
    2000 Saab 9-5 Aero
    1995 Mercedes C280
    1994 Jaguar XJ6

Uniquely, San Francisco

SAN FRANCISCO 2020!! ... LAKE TAHOE 2022!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mgescuro For This Useful Post:

cad1cts (07-10-2014)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    Yes - JLR have been infuriating over the past couple of years regurgitating information as "new" press releases but containing nothing that wasn't in the public domain before.

It is of course difficult when your engineers are working their socks off developing new engines, new factories, new platforms as well as new models - and all models at the same time - and everyone wants to know what's coming.

SKH
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    LR4 HSE LE Black 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    Yes - JLR have been infuriating over the past couple of years regurgitating information as "new" press releases but containing nothing that wasn't in the public domain before.

It is of course difficult when your engineers are working their socks off developing new engines, new factories, new platforms as well as new models - and all models at the same time - and everyone wants to know what's coming.

I think the article had a few new nuggets of info but you are correct they regurgitate info and just add a little more to justify a new release. Paris auto show is about three months away so it can't be too much longer, maybe 6-8 weeks before the flood gates of info are breached and we'll be swimming in info and pictures. I can't wait. With the XE, The Discovery Sport, and of course Cadillac's "The Arrival" concept arriving at Pebble Beach mid August I can barely contain my excitement!

SKH
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    LR4 HSE LE Black 2012

The XE having a top speed of 186 is a good thing too.
    I assumed that was with V6 or V8 power, but the article seems to suggest that it will be an Ingenium four cylinder that gets it to that impressive speed.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Glad to see they are making the investment and that the new engine family is on the way.

I know that engine can "theoretically" be made into an I6, and wonder if this will ultimately happen. Products like the Freelander 2/LR2 utilize the Volvo sourced 6 cylinder engine. Eventually that product will need to be replaced. An inhouse I6 would seem to fit the bill and wonder if there is more development in this direction than they are letting on.

Quote Originally Posted by SKH View Post
    ...Cadillac's "The Arrival" concept arriving at Pebble Beach mid August...
    What is this? Haven't heard anything about this at all. Any info out there?
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi

Re: Ingenium: JLR reveals details of new engine family

The main nugget of news was that the 2015 Discovery Sport (replacement for Freelander 2 / LR2) due this autumn will launch with the now old Ford/PSA engines because production capacity at the brand-new JLR engine plant hasn't ramped up enough yet to cover both that and the Jaguar XE - this is unexpected so may indicate some issue at the plant that needs addressing.

The Ingenium bore/stroke is oversquare so fitting an I6 version transversely in the Discovery Sport is probably out of the question - in any case the output range for the Ingenium I4 should well exceed the Volvo I6 currently used in the FL2 for North America (it's not used in the Freelander 2) - it makes me wonder whether mention on an I6 Ingenium is just a knee-jerk reaction to Mercedes-Benz announcement of an I6.

The new Range Rover, Range Rover Sport and replacement for Land Rover Discovery (LR4) will eventually need V6 and V8 versions of the Ingenium to free JLR from Ford's engine build contract as they don't have room for an I6 - it would be a huge luxury to build both an I6 and a V6 from the same engine family.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

That gasket on the front of the oil pan should be good for a few garage floor puddles. I hope the timing chains/sprockets/tensioners are bulletproof; any problem with those will require an engine pull.
    All eye poking aside, I wish them well. I do hope they build an I6, Jag has a bit of history with those.

Thanks
    My Ride
    CTA trains and buses

All engines in the range share the same bore, stroke and cylinder spacing, with each cylinder offering 500cc. JLR says the Ingenum family offers the "configurability and flexibility around which smaller or larger engines can quickly and efficiently be developed" in the future.
    The design philosophy of JLR's Ingenium family follows that of BMW ("B Code" modular engine family), right down to cylinder displacement.

Perhaps this modular approach represents the future of light vehicle engine design.
    My modes of transportation: CTA 'L' & buses, Metra, Pace bus, rental cars (usually GM), taxicabs, bicycling, and walking.
    Member of the "I will never purchase a new car" club.
    Get the facts about ethanol and biofuels in the USA!

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roy219 View Post
    The design philosophy of JLR's Ingenium family follows that of BMW ("B Code" modular engine family), right down to cylinder displacement.

Perhaps this modular approach represents the future of light vehicle engine design.
    Everyone is doing this. GM, MB, VW. BMW didn't start something people didn't already know about.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dslay04 For This Useful Post:

roy219 (07-10-2014)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi

Quote Originally Posted by roy219 View Post

The use of turbochargers makes it much easier/cheaper to provide different power/economy units from the same basic engine without needing different capacities.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

roy219 (07-10-2014)

Thanks

I assumed that was with V6 or V8 power, but the article seems to suggest that it will be an Ingenium four cylinder that gets it to that impressive speed.
    XE is meant to be the lightest in class -- beating the upcoming C-Class. Power output from Ingenium is predicted to be on-par with the new Mercedes 2.0L. So, I'm actually not surprised that a 186 mph top speed would be achievable in the 4-cyl Ingenium in an XE (probably XE-R or RS).
    That was the point of this new engine -- to move Jaguar forward meeting new global emissions and efficiency goals.

The article seems to confirm the theory/rumor that an I6 and V8 can be built off the base Ingenium. And that makes sense for JLR to simplify manufacturing and R&D. That's pretty much where VW is today. Looks like JLR isn't that far off behind the pace.
    That means a TT V8 version of Ingenium would be in an F-Type R, XJR, and Range Rover Sport and most likely easily push 600 HP. Some rumor mills have it pushing 700HP. And that's in line with rumored engines from the Germans.

And now you know why I argue the point that CTS-V needs to launch with 625HP minimum. It needs the power to survive the European onslaught.

2010 Mercedes E350
    2000 Saab 9-5 Aero
    1995 Mercedes C280
    1994 Jaguar XJ6

Uniquely, San Francisco

SKH
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    LR4 HSE LE Black 2012

XE is meant to be the lightest in class -- beating the upcoming C-Class. Power output from Ingenium is predicted to be on-par with the new Mercedes 2.0L. So, I'm actually not surprised that a 186 mph top speed would be achievable in the 4-cyl Ingenium in an XE (probably XE-R or RS).
    That was the point of this new engine -- to move Jaguar forward meeting new global emissions and efficiency goals.

The article seems to confirm the theory/rumor that an I6 and V8 can be built off the base Ingenium. And that makes sense for JLR to simplify manufacturing and R&D. That's pretty much where VW is today. Looks like JLR isn't that far off behind the pace.
    That means a TT V8 version of Ingenium would be in an F-Type R, XJR, and Range Rover Sport and most likely easily push 600 HP. Some rumor mills have it pushing 700HP. And that's in line with rumored engines from the Germans.

And now you know why I argue the point that CTS-V needs to launch with 625HP minimum. It needs the power to survive the European onslaught.
    They'll have to expand the factory as it can only make about 300,000 engines (?) a year. Add in 6/8 cylinder variants for the big Jags and LR products, and if all goes according to plan then, they'll likely need to make 750,000 engines within 4-5 years. That is unless JLR continue to develop the existing 6 and 8 cylinders and have Ford still make them.
    Last edited by SKH; 07-10-2014 at 02:26 PM.

Thanks

They'll have to expand the factory as can only make about 300,000 engines (?) a year. Add in 6/8 cylinder variants for the big Jags and LR products, and if all goes according to plan then, they'll likely need to make 750,000 engines within 4-5 years. That is unless continue to develop the existing 6 and 8 cylinders and have Ford still make them.
    Yup. There was an earlier discussion here in some other thread about this.
    Of course, this all won't happen overnight. We're talking 5-10 years.
    But it all makes sense because JLR can't keep using Ford tech forever. The engines are old, and they're slowly but surely being outclassed and out powered by the Germans.

If all goes well, definitely 500-750,000 within 5 years or so. That will be a good problem from JLR to have.

But this does hinge on the success of the XE. They need at least 50-100,000 in global sales from it. That should be achievable.

2010 Mercedes E350
    2000 Saab 9-5 Aero
    1995 Mercedes C280
    1994 Jaguar XJ6

Uniquely, San Francisco

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi

JLR "could" use the Ford Lion V6 and V8 engines indefinitely - Jaguar had the major input to their design and the "divorce" agreement with Ford does allow JLR's continued use - Ford won't want to lose the engine sales revenue either.

But competitive development of the Lion can't continue indefinitely so I feel sure they'll be replaced by Ingenium variants as soon as practical.

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information