GM Inside News Forum banner

Hyundai, Kia Remodel Their Image

5K views 71 replies 34 participants last post by  MiatsoCi 
#1 ·
Hyundai, Kia Remodel Their Image
by PAUL A. EISENSTEIN
NBCNews.com
July 5, 2015

Long-dominant Japanese automakers like Toyota and Honda got a splash of cold water in June when J.D. Power and Associates announced that their Korean competitors, Kia and Hyundai, dominated the latest Initial Quality Study - which measures defects and other problems with cars during their first three months on the road.

It wasn't all that long ago that Korean carmakers lagged at the back of the quality charts, content to sell basic economy models to buyers struggling to make their monthly payments. But these days, the Koreans have not only punched up their quality and reliability but have moved steadily upmarket. The Kia K900 and Hyundai Equus, for example, go head-to-head with large premium models such as the Lexus LS and Mercedes-Benz S-Class.

Power's IQS is just the latest in a series of recent studies showing a rapid improvement in Hyundai quality, something that has "really elevated us" in the eyes of consumers," says Dave Zuchowski, the CEO of Hyundai Motor America. And it validates the shift in strategy both Hyundai and Kia took when they realized "unless you can compete on quality you can't compete in this market."

Hyundai signaled that shift a decade ago when it launched what it called "America's best warranty." But Zuchowski says it was more than just a marketing ploy. Covering a vehicle for 10 years -- double the warranty of some competitors -- "would have bankrupted us…if we didn't fix our quality."

The maker targeted the traditional, mechanical problems such as faulty transmissions, electrical gremlins and wind noise. But it also decided to focus on making new technologies, such as voice-controlled navigation, easier to use. That was a smart move. According to J.D. Power's research, problems using new technology has become today's single biggest complaint for new car buyers overall.

More at link: http://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/luxury-quality-hyundai-kia-remodel-their-image-n386771

See less See more
#3 ·
Kia and Hyundai are a force to be reckoned with.
Between the rock-bottom prices, 10 year warranty, strong youth orientation, and class-leading vehicles, HK seems unstoppable.
We may not be far from the day when HK completely eclipses GM.

I for one welcome our new Korean overlords!
:)

#4 ·
NBC said:
Meanwhile, the two makers are looking at still more options in the luxury market, though the Hyundai CEO says high-line vehicles will likely serve primarily as so-called "halo cars," generating no more than 10 percent of the Koreans' total sales.
Interesting. Given the margins on a lot of luxury products, I'm surprised they don't make this more of a pressing issue. Or perhaps they aren't factoring in the launch of a dedicated luxury brand in time?

#5 ·
Margins are one thing, the costs of design, development, and marketing are another. Kia spent millions hiring LeBron James to sit in a K900, but how many do they sell? They can afford to build such cars, but I think they recognize it will be a very long time before they sell very many.

Reactions: richmond2000
#11 ·
Interesting. As Pete, as I call him, was saying to me just the other day, "Neanderthal, we need to go to our ancestors for inspiration!"

#12 ·
Now if they can only do something about some of their naming nomenclature for their cars... K900? Genesis for both the luxury model and sport coupe? Anyhow, the naming they use can be forgiven, esp. when I consider the route Cadillac is taking with its car/suv/cuvs.

Well done, HK... well done! Hard work has definitely paid off. Take note GM...

#14 ·
Hyundai and Kia have been very measured and well marketed over the years. Anything from the warranty to the return car to the actual product itself. And they have even proven pragmatic in Europe. This level of consistent talent and success is both rare and difficult to replicate, so one can't simply assume SsangYong or a Chinese brand will be able to achieve the same thing, nor can one assume that no one else can either. After all, 20 years ago the success of Toyota or Honda was impressive, but claiming the same of a Korean brand would have not seemed so likely. But I would also guess no one would have thought Mitsubishi would have been on decline in the early 2010s either. Decisions and action are everything.

The Genesis thing was somewhat odd and I think it best that the next Gen Coupe either moves upmarket or gets re-named. Otherwise the nameplate lacks consistency. K900 I also agree with with you on, and I'm guessing the issue was with the global name of the car. It's well known that Kia sedans are named K#. The global name is Quoris, but I don't think that's such a good name and hardly elegant or evocative. So they were stuck without something "good" to name it. I think they should have looked into an actual name or at least an alphanumeric one that made sense, because long term now I think they have a car they have to rename as I don't see K900 having much longevity unless they plan on sub-K900s getting names like K800, K700, etc. Or maybe that's a plan or potential plan that they simply haven't shared with us.

#20 ·
Kia/Hyundai need to offer more V6's and V8's to their models before I will seriously consider one.
All of their models need more power, especially the "sporty" ones.

#25 ·
I recently had a 2015 Kia Soul + as a rental car..... Totally blown away by how quiet, roomy and well built the vehicle was. With the recent redesign, it definitely has become the best in class (and I thought the last generation was shoddy and cheap). My parents bought a Sonata 10 years ago that was problem-free (they had traded in a Buick that was giving them a lot of problems). They just traded it in for another Sonata. Hyundai's has some of the highest owner loyalty of any manufacturer. I'm considering H/K cars now for the first time, they have become that good.

#29 · (Edited)
I was a looong-time only-GM owner until my 2008 Malibu had repeated transmission issues (was the first year of the 6-speeds). When I started looking, I test-drove an '11 Sonata just-for-giggles and liked it so much, I decided to give it a try -- and that was a little over 2 years ago. My Sonata has waay more road noise than my old Malibu, but the Sonata 2.4l is decidedly better (much more responsive throttle + more hp/torque + unbelievably better gas mileage + more interior room) than my 2.4l Malibu. I got used to the road noise in about 2-3 months time. I've got 70k on it now and have done nothing but the routine things: oil changes, air filters, brakes, and tires. It's been a very, very good car to date. As for criticisms, I have just a few: the road noise, the passenger seat doesn't have the option for power controls (and the seat seems to sit low, so you really would like to adjust it upward, but without power seats, you cannot), and the steering is a bit vague for my liking -- my Malibu was more dialed in. My perception of Hyundai has completely changed. My Sonata is a very competent and reliable vehicle. All that being said, I'm still a GM fan at heart.

#42 ·
I think GM has come a long way. Arrogant in 1984, yes, I think they've had a lot of humble pie since then - Cimmaron, bankruptcy, 121 deaths, etc. and appear to be a better company now. Using an event from 1984 is unfair as all the auto mags bringing up the Cimmaron today. Hyundai is certainly putting out great product, but to say they are a much superior company to GM is forgetting that recently they were caught red handed lying about mpg's, and wasn't there something else they lied about? I'm sure their quality is a lot better as evidenced by a post above, but tell that to one of my staff who has a 2011 Sonata and has had loads of problems, being stranded on the highway twice being the worst. Just putting some perspective on the anti-GM twist this thread has taken.

#50 ·
Hyundai has a very aggressive marketing division that has people who specifically comb through auto forums and social media sites putting in a good word and sometimes just attacking people that do not agree with the Hyundai is great line.

That is their job. To manage the message in forums.

#55 ·
In that case no company has great quality control, but that's not true. Some companies are better than others. No matter how much you may like GM, their quality control is dreadful. TSB after TSB, repeatedly because they keep using the exact same defective parts. I don't mind recalls so much if they actually fix the issue the first time of the recall, but GM has so many issues involving repeated trips to the dealer it turns off buyers, even those who would normally buy a GM vehicle (like me). Most people I know won't touch them.
The Buy American mantra stops working after being repeatedly screwed.
Now, why do some companies have better reliability and fewer issues than others. Surely someone is responsible. is it the Quality Control Czar? The Head of Engineering? The CEO?
Someone is responsible for the whole shebang and whomever is doing it for GM should be canned. They aren't hiring or firing the right people

#56 · (Edited)
No, GM quality is not dreadful. I have owned 9 GM cars since 2000 and took my 2009 Vue in for a rear wiper issue. That's it. I am almost 3 years into my 2013 GM Terrain. Zero problems. No problems with the 2013 Regal Turbo ...or my 2 Rendezvous, 2009 Malibu, 2005 CTS, 2007 STS, and 2002 Olds Aurora.
You DO realize that GM is recalling EVERYTHING that could conceivably be a problem...(unlike all other manufacturers who wait for the feds to make them). In most cases an actual defect occurs on a small minority of all models recalled for that defect. Your car will get the notice even if it doesn't have the problem, just out of caution.
Firing people is seldom the right answer. Barra has made a ton of process changes, and did fire the 15 individuals who had a direct hand in the switch fiasco, appointed a new quality czar to a position never held before among a host of other changes. She "gets it" and does not need 24/7 critics like you to tell her how to run the business. Most people you know are holding onto the same myth that other companies are superior. Just isn't true as much as you would like it to be. Glad everyone is delighted with their H/Ks but you will find as many, percentage-wise who love their GM product just as much. I recommend you read the Volt thread as an example.

#67 ·
I can't figure out why the people that hate GM so much are on this website. I've owned quite a few GM vehicles over the years and have had very good luck and received excellent service from all of them. If you have another make that you like and that makes you happy that's great. Go to a fan boy website for that brand and quit littering this site with your crap posts.

#72 ·
Everyone has a story. What can I say? I personally wouldn't buy that Korean, no German (again) crap ever again for various reasons. Thank God for GM, Ford and, well, never mind

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.