Hyundai, Kia face $775 million suit over mileage claims

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hyundai, Kia face $775 million suit over mileage claims

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Automotive News
    November 7, 2012
    by Mark Rechtin

Hyundai Motor America and Kia Motors America have been hit with a second U.S. civil suit seeking class-action status after the companies admitted to making bogus fuel-economy claims.

The latest was Tuesday in U.S. Central District Court in Los Angeles on behalf of 23 plaintiffs. It seeks $775 million in compensation for owners who say resale values have been damaged by the companies’ inflated fuel-economy figures.

The suit states that the proposed debit-card payouts to purchasers of nearly 900,000 Hyundai and Kia vehicles doesn’t make up for the decreased value of those vehicles.

“Plaintiffs and the Class have been damaged by Hyundai’s and Kia’s misrepresentations, concealment, and non-disclosure of the incorrect fuel economy numbers, because they were misled into purchasing Hyundais and Kias of a quality different than they were promised, and paying higher fuel costs they would not otherwise have paid,” the suit says.

Hyundai and Kia’s apologies on Nov. 2 were prompted by a U.S. EPA investigation that found discrepancies between company fuel-economy test results and the agency’s own results. As a result, the companies lowered the fuel-economy ratings for the affected vehicles. On most of them, the ratings fell by 1-2 mpg.

The automakers said the 900,000 vehicles reflected about 35 percent of their combined sales of 2011-13 models through Oct. 31.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: Hyundai, Kia face $775 million suit over mileage claims

23 people want $775 million? Sure...

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 AVALANCHE

but the resale value issue could also "hit" the banks that financed the lease deals on them

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15Soul+ Yellow; 01 PT LTD

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
    Yes. $500 for each plaintiff, the remainder is attorneys' fees.

15Soul 13Charger 13Soul 11V6200 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02cordV6 01cord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCiv 96Concorde 95trep 94Protege 92SHO 93Protege 92P50Taurus

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly. --John F. Kennedy

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevrolet Impala LT

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Yes. $500 for each plaintiff, the remainder is attorneys' fees.
    That's pretty darn close! H/K knew this was coming when the EPA started testing their "high mpg" models. The defense team in Korea has been burning the midnight oil for months.

Thanks
    My Ride
    96 Viper GTS/11 MINI Cooper S

I've been part of probably 10 "class action" suits, and they are insulting. The card I get in the mail explains how the company has agreed to pay hundreds of millions of dollars to settle, and what I am offered is always a complete joke. In one, I was offered 23 CENTS as my part of the settlement, and all I had to do was fill out a bunch of forms, and send in the proof that I had purchased the product. The money ALL goes to the lawyers who bring this crap.
    Toyota--The Official Vehicle of Terrorist Everywhere

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Dont be surprised at how H/K chooses to handle this. I'm pretty sure this is going to end up being a win win for them. I which we as a country quit trying to sue foriegn company instead of making good products so people have options. We are there now but some people still chooses to stay stuck in the past. I wouldn't have any trouble going out today purchasing any car today if it looks good and meets or exceeds my needs at a value price. Right know that would put H/K in the lead

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC kevinahcc20's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 GMC Acadia

Quote Originally Posted by blowngtp View Post
    Dont be surprised at how H/K chooses to handle this. I'm pretty sure this is going to end up being a win win for them. I which we as a country quit trying to sue foriegn company instead of making good products so people have options. We are there now but some people still chooses to stay stuck in the past. I wouldn't have any trouble going out today purchasing any car today if it looks good and meets or exceeds my needs at a value price. Right know that would put H/K in the lead
    Not sure how customers defrauded by H/K deciding to sue has anything to do with U.S. auto companies making competitive products. No choice is needed there as both make sense. If you decide you like a company which has demonstrated a deeply ingrained pattern of fraud, that's OK too!

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevinahcc20 View Post
    Not sure how customers defrauded by H/K deciding to sue has anything to do with U.S. auto companies making competitive products. No choice is needed there as both make sense. If you decide you like a company which has demonstrated a deeply ingrained pattern of fraud, that's OK too!

That would the companies thats coming out of bankruptcy and or now partly owned by the government or a foriegn company. The other company was just smart enough to secure there money before the s*** hit the fan. I owned that companies stock at 1.80 per share. How soon we forget 4 years ago almost to the date. H/K just happened to have shovel ready product ready to sell that people happened to like.

The point was that we were not able to make competitive cars until here reasonly. Its how Toyota became number 1 for awhile and honda continues to have strong sales here in the US. Dont hate because H/K made something that people were drawn to their lots because they sold cars that also looked good besides offering lot of options to boot that you are slowly be able to now enjoy in the GM products. Its not like that GM didn't do it first. They just chose to have you and I buy a cadillac to enjoy those features.
    Last edited by blowngtp; 11-08-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Walking
    Thanks

Some people hold a core belief that is very strong. When they are presented with facts/evidence that works against that belief, the facts/evidence cannot be accepted. It creates a feeling that is extremely unconfortable. They will rationalize, ignore and even deny anything that doesn't fit with the core belief.
    Go ahead and buy a K/H. MAYBE that one will be better

Thanks
    My Ride
    Ford Explorer/2002/Green

First of all this post is a 1,000 post milestone for me. Secondly, when you have the option to take a company to small claims court as an individual suit, why wouldn't you do it? See: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46228337...er-hybrid-mpg/

The best thing for H/K to do is fess up, pay up and move on. H/K is still competitive on many fronts and a company under the microscope could be a better purchase than one left to its own evils. It's funny what a company will do to regain the trust of consumers.
    I didn't go to math school, so I'm not going to do the math.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cruze LT

Remember when the H/K trolls on this site would say people were just jealous and salty anytime anyone would try to bring this subject up?

H/K numbers were always too good to be true, both power and MPG
    Last edited by chevypowa670; 11-08-2012 at 09:15 AM.
    "What about that "best all-around subcompact car" business? Yeah, we're gonna say it: The Chevy Sonic – manual or auto – is just that. You heard it, Fiesta fanatics"

-Inside line.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
    Wish I could be one of those.....LOL

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chevypowa670 View Post
    Remember when the H/K trolls on this site would say people were just jealous and salty anytime anyone would try to bring this subject up?

H/K numbers were always too good to be true, both power and MPG
    And yet other companies namely GM had that power and sit on it until H/K started stating high power mileage outputs. hmmm. I'm saying that because of how much time GM has sit on its butt with it head in the sand while other were kicking their butt. Now Ford with the ecoboost technology. Keep excepting subpar performance until someone else put it on the market or at least stated they have it on the market. Example the Impala is still a W-body, and will be next year before we have a chance to buy the next version.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Right now you can buy a 2012 Impala for 10,000.00 off list price. What a deal!!

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information