Honda debuts "honed" 2013 Civic - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Honda debuts "honed" 2013 Civic

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar 'Vette Dude's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Aura XE 3.5 2008

Re: Honda debuts "honed" 2013 Civic

Can Honda please pick a grille style and stay with it?
    2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5 - Still one GM's best looking designs
    Other Family Vehicles:
    Ford F-150, Ford Edge, Chevy Cruze, VW Jetta

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Honda Civic EX auto

As an owner of a 2012 Civic EX auto, I have to say that the update is nice but I don't think that it makes me less happy with my 2012. I am very happy with my car and I don't think it is a downgrade from the previous generation, which I also had, in any way. It's quieter, feels nimbler, rides better and gets better city fuel economy. The current average is 31 mpg's for 90+% city driving and it's been very consistent. The Cruze was on the short list but it got knocked out for the cavelike interior. If I had one complaint about my Civic it would be the color but that wasn't my choice. It's gray and rather dull looking. I would have chosen the Urban titanium metallic that is gray with a little brown in it as it looks a little richer. Just my two cents.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar 'Vette Dude's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Aura XE 3.5 2008

Cavelike interior? And you went with a Civic over it? lol ok
    2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5 - Still one GM's best looking designs
    Other Family Vehicles:
    Ford F-150, Ford Edge, Chevy Cruze, VW Jetta

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 650 Posts
    My Ride
    15Soul+; 01 PT LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoZQ8 View Post
    Talk about damning a car with faint praise.
    HAR!

Quote Originally Posted by carart View Post
    As an owner of a 2012 Civic EX auto, I have to say that the update is nice but I don't think that it makes me less happy with my 2012. I am very happy with my car and I don't think it is a downgrade from the previous generation, which I also had, in any way. It's quieter, feels nimbler, rides better and gets better city fuel economy. The current average is 31 mpg's for 90+% city driving and it's been very consistent. The Cruze was on the short list but it got knocked out for the cavelike interior. If I had one complaint about my Civic it would be the color but that wasn't my choice. It's gray and rather dull looking. I would have chosen the Urban titanium metallic that is gray with a little brown in it as it looks a little richer. Just my two cents.
    Thanks for chipping in. And given the non-love shown for the Civic here, I appreciate your candor. I wish I was getting that MPG.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Vette Dude View Post
    Cavelike interior? And you went with a Civic over it? lol ok
    Yes. That's what he said.

15Soul 13Charger 13Soul 11V6200 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02cordV6 01cord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCiv 96Concorde 95trep 94Protege 92SHO 93Protege 92P50Taurus

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly. --John F. Kennedy

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

I think he means the Civic has better visibility

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    Funny how sales still increased over last year by over 200k units. Honda people will buy any piece of garbage they put out
    Kinda like GM used to do back in the day! This is nothing more than lipstick on a pig!...
    Truckin!

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Tre-Tre's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    It's better. Kinda.
    Considering the first one it's not like the bar was set very high.

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '12 Camry SE
    One thing I'll never understand, we are just now seeing what this Honda looks like and it'll be on dealer lots within a month. I feel like I saw the '13 Malibu at least a year ago and the dealers are just now fully stocked although most people on this forum will say there are still supply issues. But I feel like Honda and Toyota have so much less time from reveal to delivery. I still remember seeing a Cruze at the auto show over a year before you could get one. That's fine but I needed a car then, and no way would I buy a cobalt after seeing a Cruze. That's why Honda sold more Civics then Cruzes last month when a mce was a month away IMO. Same with traverse/ Acadia/ Enclave. Revealed months ago, have yet to see one at dealers or on the road not sure how many have been produced.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Totally agree with you. Honda reveals new cars (e.g. Accord), and next thing you know the dealer lots are stocked, and they come out blazing with the marketing campaign. GM on the other hand. New Chevy Impala revealed April 2012 ...available Spring 2013! As you say, this causes people to not purchase the current model because the new one is coming out. It gives competition a clear detailed view of what GM is doing a year in advance. (OK, Honda did show the coupe last Jan as a lightly disguised concept, but exterior only.)

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Wasn't the interior a sore point as well? I wonder what they are doing there. The outside is a big improvment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
    Wasn't the interior a sore point as well? I wonder what they are doing there. The outside is a big improvment.
    I've heard it's the same layout and structure with upgraded materials. A dash redesign would be both cost and time prohibitive in such a quick turnaround.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Good enough for the minions I suspect.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 KingElvis's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '10 DODGE RAM ST RC HEMI 4.10

Quote Originally Posted by CoolNate32 View Post
    One thing I'll never understand, we are just now seeing what this Honda looks like and it'll be on dealer lots within a month. I feel like I saw the '13 Malibu at least a year ago and the dealers are just now fully stocked although most people on this forum will say there are still supply issues. But I feel like Honda and Toyota have so much less time from reveal to delivery. I still remember seeing a Cruze at the auto show over a year before you could get one. That's fine but I needed a car then, and no way would I buy a cobalt after seeing a Cruze. That's why Honda sold more Civics then Cruzes last month when a mce was a month away IMO. Same with traverse/ Acadia/ Enclave. Revealed months ago, have yet to see one at dealers or on the road not sure how many have been produced.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
    Yes. That's been the rap on GM for decades. Back in the 'glory days' they were very tight lipped about upcoming models - like Honda is now - for precisely the reason you state: a glimpse of a superior model a year in advance will tend to hurt sales of the current model as people figure they'll just wait for the better model.

The first example of this is the infamous XP887 AKA "Gemini" project which became the Chevrolet Vega. They started talking about an innovative 'subcompact' in late 1968 - even promising that it would cost under $2000K and weigh under 2000lbs - but it wouldn't debut until the '70 calendar year.

Why did GM bigwigs break their own rule? They wanted a public relations bump - the Corvair had been a disaster and as production of the Corvair drew to a close, they wanted to earn some credit as a good corporate citizen by promising to introduce a more pious model with those Yankee values of thrift and practicality.

This marked the beginning of a bad habit - to wit, GM's desire to be judged by upcoming models rather than the mediocre and/or 'gas guzzling' current models.

You can see why it was so tempting to point to future models from a P.R. perspective. It could change the conversation about GM from 'planned obsolescence' to 'corporate responsibility.' Something very similar happened when GM made the VOLT concept car. At that time GM = Decadent Hummer. And now the Volt has become the face of GM - in some sense the bette noire of FOX - but the darling of Thomas Friedman and MSNBC - even as most GM profits still come from pickups and SUVs. At least in that instance, there wasn't any current GM car that was comparable to the Volt.
    Last edited by KingElvis; 11-13-2012 at 12:54 PM.
    Check out my automotive blog http://elvisceralappeal.blogspot.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Yes, it's good for 10 HP and 2 MPG.

This is a pricey "compact." And $1600 for 16" alloys and $2000 for 17-inchers? Oiiii!
    Darn right, if I spend two grand on a set of alloy wheels, they will damn sure be of better quality and look better than anything an OEM is gonna put out.

That being said, we are waiting to see more of this car, to decide whether to purchase it. After the Grand am eating two transmissions, wheel bearings and an axle in 130,000 KM, and the Impala just being a turd in general, we are about done with GM. We like the "new" Accord, but it seems so boring, almost like a Camry.

Thanks

All that being said, I love how this board seems to think that GM is putting out awesome cars every time, even though most of you have never driven any of the cars you talk about.

Even though the current Civic is a little lackluster, GM needs to take a few lessons from them, realizing they screwed the pooch and actually doing something about it, plus it comes in 2 door, 4 door and performance versions FROM THE BEGINNING....holy cow, what blasphemy! I guess, maybe some day, right before the Cruze is outdated, maybe they will make a coupe, but I wouldn't count on it, considering the thing was several years old before they even pushed it to the US market as some sort of game changer.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information