GM Inside News Forum banner

Genesis Teases Upcoming G90 Flagship Sedan

6K views 56 replies 31 participants last post by  YEH 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Upcoming Genesis G90 Flagship Teased From Hyundai.
Carscoops
November 10, 2015
By: Michael Karkafiris

The first new model under the new Genesis brand name was teased by Hyundai, previewing the G90 flagship ahead of its launch by early next month in Korea.

The first renders of the range-topping G90 luxury sedan are showing the path Hyundai wants to follow with its premium Genesis brand, using the “Athletic Elegance” design language. As we can see, many design elements from the Vision G concept will be transferred to the new G90, like the slicker lights all around and the more prominent front grille.

The new Genesis G90 will succeed the Equus and try to become an alternative to the Mercedes S-Class and BMW 7-Series. Reports are saying that is powered by the company’s 5.0-litre V8 used on the existing model, with Hyundai offering for the first time an all-wheel drive option too.

As you would expect from a premium flagship, the new Genesis will feature the latest in safety technologies and innovations having a “human-centered” approach which should translate into ease of use and class-leading comfort, as this is going to be Hyundai’s showcase of the absolute best they can offer.

“Genesis’ new large luxury sedan G90 will deliver a concept of ‘New Luxury’ to our customers”, said Woong-Chul Yang, Head of Hyundai Motor R&D Center and Vice Chairman of Hyundai Motor. “The G90 sits at the pinnacle of the Genesis brand and demonstrates how we apply our human-centered values to give our customer true satisfaction in every aspect of the vehicle ownership experience.”

The new Genesis G90 will make its official debut in Korea by early next month, carrying the name EQ900 for the specific market. Genesis plans to launch six new models by 2020, including the G90, with the next model to be the G80, the successor of the Hyundai Genesis.

Update: "Undercover photos"

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, I'm a fan of the design. I think it looks great.

Depending on how this is priced, I can see it doing very well in the market now that the name "Hyundai" is gone from it. The interior looks to be money, and it should have all kinds of technology and features to boot. This will prove to be an interesting car now that it has its own brand.

#3 ·
I see a lot of Chrysler and Audi with some Bentley thrown in for good measure. I actually kind of like it.

Reactions: cad1cts
#13 ·
Asian luxury cars are notoriously derivative. The Gen1 Genesis sedan cribbed heavily from Mercedes. The Audi grille is holdover from the current model. Not all of the G90's styling elements are derived from imports. The body-length character line is borrowed from Cadillac as are the G90's tail lights. The body sculpture behind the front wheel well is borrowed from the Buick Avenir.

#5 ·
Looks like a larger Audi styled Genesis. Not a bad thing, but the boys at VW Group, when they aren't shredding documents have to be quite upset about Hyundai having the advantage of no type of design violations.

And "EQ" They are going away from NAMES? Will the Cadillac "CT" haters be as upset??? Probably not. Its a Hyundai after all.

#7 ·
Yup. My issue exactly. When people come in and push them.. defend them.. I wonder what they are gonna say when the first non-Volvo Chinese cars start showing up on our shores.

#10 ·
It was so nice of Cadillac to design this car for Hyundai in the form of the Ciel. Why does GM do things like this? They show us what looks to be a completely buildable, drop dead gorgeous car like the Ciel then do nothing with the design except give Hyundai some inspiration. I have to say there are many things going right: The XT5 looks great (just a little late), new Camaro, Volt and Cruze look good with great reviews, new Malibu looks like its making up for ground lost with the current one. But to show stunning cars like the 16 and Ciel then not offer the designs doesn't sound like good business to me. What did it cost to develop those beauties to the point of making cars to show?

#11 ·
This looks nothing like the Ciel.

Reactions: BlackGTP
#21 ·
The flagship sedan segment certainly has plenty coming along. We also aren't far away from seeing the new LS.

Think they need more than a 5.0L. I love a good NA V-8 and the Tau is one of those, but it simply wouldn't provide the performance necessary to compete.

Wish it would've taken the grille insert from the Vision G Concept. Overall, a nice design. Like the current Genesis, it doesn't look particularly "fresh", but good. I suppose at this point in Genesis' time that's important enough as they look to craft an actual brand. Something that Genesis can look forward to is building their own corporate "look". Mercedes and BMW are prime examples of that. People may say that BMW or Mercedes rehashes previous themes that they've used over the years, but the reality is that this is part of the essence of their brand. The whole point of them is that their designs are timeless and iconic. It would be like criticizing Louis Vuitton for their continued use of the Damier pattern, which is over a century old. Except that's not a bad thing at all. That's part of how iconic their design is. Genesis does not have this. They will eventually need to make their own look.

#25 · (Edited)
This is a sharp looking car and dropping Hyundai from the nameplate is a stroke of genius...

Nobody wants a Hyundai that costs 60 or 70 grand....but a genesis is a real possibility.

I drove the old genesis sedan and admired its luxury and quiet ride.

Very little sport in it but man was that thing quiet.

I fully expect this new line of genesis vehicles to shake up the status quo.

I might even buy one....they are that luxurious and quet....

Just could never get my better half to consider a Hyundai no matter how great a car it is....

Now that's no longer an issue.....genesis g90 looks and sounds hot too...

#50 · (Edited)
The Genesis coupe will be fair size one - and while not an out-right 2-door form of the refreshed Genesis sedan/G80, should have similar design language.

I actually think the base price will stay the same. If this car gets a TTV6 as a base engine and the V8 as an option, I think it'll stay at the same price point.

I think it looks great so far:
The 3.3TT will be the base model and a Hyundai exec already stated that there will only be a modest uptick in price to take into account the added kit and increase in luxury; so the TTV6 could be priced lower than the current 5.0 V8.

I think the $55k CT6 may steal a lot of this car's thunder.
May be - be that $55k price is only for the T4.

You can't solely compete on price in the luxury market.
There will come a time when the brand, status, and image must come into play.

If G90 comes in with both barrels -- price AND image/status/brand -- then you can kiss CT6 goodbye.
Think the CT6 will do pretty well for what it is - not the Cadillac flagship sedan, but something inbtwn and finally a Cadillac RWD sedan that doesn't scrimp on passenger room.

Indeed. This goes all the way back to the original Lexus LS, which had Mercedes-inspired styling cues of the day. Everyone hates on the Chinese and Koreans, but the Japanese aren't a whole lot better. At least they have a lot more original designs and they tend to be not as blatant when they are copying someone else, lol.

It was the LS430, however, which really set Mercedes' pants on fire.

Most Cadillac dealerships are small relative to BMW size dealerships and Audi dealerships. If Genesis built their new dealerships the same as the three level 150,000 sq. ft. BMW size dealerships, it going get notice! It about a block long!
Many of those smaller-adjoined Cadillac dealerships are in smaller population areas - over half of luxury sales are made in the 20 largest metro areas.

I just don't think handling will sway buyers into getting a CT6. Price and size will, but then they'll have the more powerful, better equipped G90 to deal with. I don't think the CT6 is going to pan out. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see a market for it, other than potential CTS buyers going for it because it's bigger.
The CT6 isn't the Cadillac flagship and the new TTV6 for the CT6 will likely be more powerful and there is also a V8 (probably FI as well) on the way - so it's not like the CT6 will be short on power.

But agree that handling or performance isn't going to make or break CT6 sales - and instead will be pricing and passenger space/luxury.

Seems like they got the pricing and passenger space down (at least for the T4 trim - which should really appeal to current XTS owners); can't really make a determination about luxury until see/inspect interior.

#30 ·
So far that's a good interior. Not sure about that really glossy wood option that the lighter interior'd car has, but that's about it. Probably won't challenge the latest BMW and Mercedes interiors, but that's looking relatively comparable to some of the others. We'll just have to wait and see what it's actually like in production form.

#37 · (Edited)
Genesis will have a huge benefit from building new facilities....Have their brand and image the same from store to store....have the sales people trained the same.....service people.....they can destroy the average Lincoln, Cadillac store .....franchise laws protect these subpar dealers....genesis dealers will be signing brand new agreements with performance metrics etc etc....it's not always the metal that moves the sale.......

I don't have current figures anymore but sales per dealership tell the story.....

Lexus average over 1,200 vehicles
Cadillac, Lincoln somewhere 250-500 vehicles....
you are at a huge disadvantage from facility and people investments....

#52 ·
^ Well, the KDM versions of the Genesis and Equus (esp. the Genesis) get a good bit more in way of tech and amenities.

Also, can't disregard the value play (notwithstanding no longer being sold under the mainstream Hyundai brand) - the Japanese lux brands have seen dwindling RWD sedan sales as they aren't quite the bargain that they used to be and if for about the same $$ (or just a little more) - many buyers will opt for German with a down-market engine).

#53 ·
Oh I'm not. However, even a G90 with a base price of 70K would still be lower than a V-6 XJ or slightly below a LS460 (before even moving over to the more comparable LWB version). They need to be "competitive" rather than "cheap". They cannot command the prices of the most established, ironic competition. So no, they can'd do a 90K base price, or even 80K, on a 5.0L.

Part of Lexus' problem with the LS additionally is that they've become substantially less competitive in recent years.

#55 · (Edited)
^ As usual, your ability to discern design/shape underwhelms.

The side of the taillight on the Kia follows the side adjoined to the trunkline whereas on the LTC, it's an isosceles trapezoid, if not more of an isosceles triangle (w/ the sides being slightly curved).

Now, no doubt (aside from being a POS), the Amanti was also a generic-looking sedan, but that's the thing - all those elements were generic (meaning in use widely).

Take the quad headlights (w/ one set being larger) for instance.

A lot of commentators say that was copied from the W210 E Class - but the problem is that so many other automakers have done the same (including earlier) so could hardly be accredited to Mercedes.

Bentley, Buick, etc. have used it.

Heck, Toyota/Lexus had done it as well.

And speaking of the GS - it was a modified recycled design that Italdesign had done in the hopes that Jaguar would pick it up (the Jag Kensington) and Italdesign used the general bodyshape/greenhouse in designing the Daewoo Leganza (OMG! designers re-using shapes/forms that they like!).

But look at the grill on the GS - hmmm, looks awfully like something that would be on a Buick or a Jaguar (rectangular w/ vertical grill slats).

Lexus (as did Infiniti and Acura) did the traditional thing w/ their grills - use either vertical or horizontal grill slats - and affix the badge at the center (how original!!!).

^ That is more identical to what MB had been doing, then is the oft-commentary on the G1 Genesis grill (which had a diff. shaped center divider unique grill slats).

And speaking of the LS430, it so closely aligned w/ the S Class at the greenhouse/C-pillar and rear (as well as sharing other MB cues at the front), the head designer of MB finally had enough and publicly called out Toyota/Lexus.

The Japanese were all pretty generic until recently - and when they finally got around to adding a distinctive design element - it was pretty bizzare/fugly.

Acura - beak (before the beak, Acura used the typical grill treatments and shape-wise, it was very similar to Mazda's, both using a pentagram shape).

Infiniti - smaller spindle grill-shape and weird flowing lines.

Lexus - larger grill shape and weird flowing lines.

And even the spindle-shape that Lexus fanboys are so proud of isn't original.

And from the heavily MB-inspired LS00 and LS430, Lexus took a BMW bent with the LS460 (Hofmeister kinked greenhouse and Bangle butt) (same goes for Acura and Infiniti - still use a Hofmeister kinked greenhouse).

As so typical of you, you harp on every possible chance when it comes to accusing Hyundai/Kia of copying (which I had stated they have done, just like the Japanese) and yet, turn a blind eye when Lexus has been known to do the same (and if anything, has been worse - having been publicly called out for it).

The taillights on the GS having a Sonata-esqe bent? Silence...

Like I stated before, you should refrain from commenting further on design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.