"Ford sees no place in future for small pickups, so the Ranger will be phased out." - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Ford sees no place in future for small pickups, so the Ranger will be phased out."

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Re: "Ford sees no place in future for small pickups, so the Ranger will be phased out

"Ford sees no place in the future for small pickups that have been left to rot on the vine eight years past when an appropriate redesign would have been due, so the Ranger will be phased out."
    There, that makes the statement more understandable.

I really dislike the retreat strategy. Of course, there's a market for a properly executed small pick-ups for the U.S.. And I see no reason to abandon it to foreign-branded automakers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: "Ford sees no place in future for small pickups, so the Ranger will be phased out

Back in the mid-nineties my friend leased his Ranger for $95 a month. An incredible deal for anyone, especially College students/recent grads. Ford sold or leased as many as they could make because:

1) You could get them as cheaply as a stripped economy car.
    2) Ford had just given the Ranger a major (and apparently it's last) refresh.
    3) The size was right.
    4) You could get one with as much or as little content as you wanted.

It would be good to see Ford or GM design a new small pick-up like the current Ranger or old S-10.
    Last edited by atomicshark; 08-02-2010 at 08:16 AM.

2012 Chevrolet Cruze - 14,350 miles
    2008 Kia Rondo - 41,000 miles
    2004 Pontiac GTO - 71,864 miles (gone, but not forgotten)
    atomicshark's flickr gallery

Thanks
    My Ride
    14 Terrain/99 Sierra/08 Sky RL
    As long as the spy shots of GM testing a new small truck shows a trcuk destined for our shores, I could care less about the death of teh ranger...bring it on! GM can dominate small truck like Chrysler dominates the van market!

<<<< I <3 mini-turcks!

Quote Originally Posted by kenman923 View Post
    They should put the money into giving the Ranger a major redesign instead of killing it.
    Cant. The platform has been out since 81 and doesnt meet NHTSA crash standards that will be implimented on all 2012 vehicles.

See: Ford Ranger being forced out of small truck market in 2011, not deciding to abandon it.
    Last edited by Titanic; 08-02-2010 at 11:56 AM.
    Kris Creed | Sales & Leasing Consultant | GUS REVENBERG CHEVROLET-BUICK-GMC | Windsor, Ontario, Canada | http://www.twitter.com/kdawgone
    Quote Originally Posted by 01IntrigueGX View Post
    A position should be made for you in GM Marketing.
    Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    They should have given him the position yesterday!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) wescoent's Avatar
    Thanks

Let me make this clear. The Ranger is being redesigned, and there will be a new truck capable of being sold in the US available following the death of our version.

However, will Americans be willing to pay for it?
    "They say Eve tempted Adam with an apple, but man I ain't goin' for that. I know it was her pink Cadillac!"

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

This is fine by me if the truck can get over 25 mpg. MPG is 100% the reason I buy small 4cyl trucks. I drive about 60-80 miles a day and thoes few MPG's make a difference.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

One thing that people seem to be missing is that the Ford Ranger is the only small pickup still on the market. Everyone else moved up to the mid sized range, if you wanted a small pickup truck then the Ford Ranger was your only choice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PontiacBixler View Post
    Here is the problem:
    Consumers want a small pickup at a reasonable price, in comparison to the current full sized trucks
    Automakers want to sell such a vehicle at $1000 under the price of the full sized offerings.

A new Ranger should be priced in line with the Feista/Focus. Any small pickup should be priced at the equivalent of the compact car offerings at said auto manufacturer.
    Yeah that ^^^^ plus they want to remove $2000 worth of creature comforts to make up for that $1000 lower price. Additionally a small truck needs to get significantly better fuel mileage than its full-sized counterpart (+2 mpg is NOT significantly better).

In some cases, bigger is not better and will not justify higher prices. We see the pricing of smaller cars climbing to justify/cover better equipment/technology so don't "dumb down" truck content to give us smaller size without giving us something...mileage or comparatively lower pricing.
    Last edited by 4x4x4doors; 08-02-2010 at 09:04 AM.

Colorado Crew 4x4 Z71
    Pontiac G5

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) wescoent's Avatar
    Thanks

What if you could buy an F-150 that got 25mpg?
    "They say Eve tempted Adam with an apple, but man I ain't goin' for that. I know it was her pink Cadillac!"

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomicshark View Post
    Back in the mid-nineties my friend leased his Ranger for $95 a month. An incredible deal for anyone, especially College students/recent grads. Ford sold or leased as many as they could make because:

1) You could get them as cheaply as a stripped economy car.
    2) Ford had just given the Ranger a major (and apparently it's last) refresh.
    3) The size was right.
    4) You could get one with as much or as little content as you wanted.

It would be good to see Ford or GM design a new small pick-up like the current Ranger or old S-10.

They lost money on every one sold. They needed them for Truck CAFE to sell the Explorers, Expeditions, and F-150 that were flying out of showrooms. GM had similar leases on the S10/Sonoma.

Banned
    Thanks

Looks like i'll be picking one of these up and then doing a 2JZ-GTE swap on it. Because I want a small pickup with power.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by K Dawg ONE View Post
    As long as the spy shots of GM testing a new small truck shows a trcuk destined for our shores, I could care less about the death of teh ranger...bring it on! GM can dominate small truck like Chrysler dominates the van market!

<<<< I <3 mini-turcks!
    Working for GM one of the most common questions I get asked is when will GM bring back the S-10 pickup. I really believe it would sell....here in Michigan at least.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 PontiacBixler's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post

Looks like i'll be picking one of these up and then doing a 2JZ-GTE swap on it. Because I want a small pickup with power.
    Are you going Back to the Future???
    What is happening to the GM that grew up with for these many decades? If I could I would institute a hostile take over and kick the entire board and executives out and fill the positions with creative minds under the age of 35.

News Contributor Premium Member V8GMT360 Guy's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    08 Sierra A/T, 09 Envoy Denali

That's BS....

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Quote Originally Posted by wescoent View Post
    What if you could buy an F-150 that got 25mpg?
    1985 Toyota Truck 2WD

Use Your Gas Prices &
    Annual Miles

Switch Units:
    Gallons/100 Miles
    Liters/100 km

Estimated New EPA MPG
    MPG ratings for this vehicle have been revised
    Regular Gasoline
    23 City
    26 Combined
    29 Hwy

Compare to Official
    EPA Window
    Sticker MPG

MPG Estimates from Drivers Like You
    User fuel economy estimates are not yet available for this vehicle.
    Learn more about "Your MPG"

Fuel Economics
    Cost to Drive 25 Miles $2.64
    Fuel to Drive 25 Miles 0.96 gal
    Annual Fuel Cost* $1588

Based on 45% highway, 55% city driving, 15000 annual miles and a fuel price of $ 2.75 per gallon . Use Your Gas Prices & Annual Miles

Energy Impact Score

Annual Petroleum Consumption
    (1 barrel=42 gallons)
    13.2 barrels/year

Carbon Footprint

Annual Tons of CO2 Emitted

Personalize Annual Miles 7.2

3.5 16.2

EPA Air Pollution Score

Air Pollution Score Not Available

Safety NA
    Size Class Small Pickup Trucks
    Engine Size (liters) 2.4
    Cylinders 4
    Transmission Manual 4-spd
    Drive Rear-Wheel Drive
    Gas Guzzler no
    Turbocharger no
    Supercharger no
    Passenger Volume NA
    Luggage Volume NA
    Engine Characteristics NA
    Trans Characteristics NA

How small would a modern pick up have to be to get Malibu 4 cylinder mileage today?
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PontiacBixler View Post
    Are you going Back to the Future???
    You don't go back to the future with the Taco, you bring a hottie to the lake!

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information