GM Inside News Forum banner

Ford recalling 433k cars for engines that don't shut off

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  orville 
#1 ·
AUTOBLOG..

Ford recalling 433k cars for engines that don't shut off

FORD ISSUES SAFETY COMPLIANCE RECALL IN NORTH AMERICA

DEARBORN, Mich., July 2, 2015 – Ford Motor Company is issuing a safety compliance recall for approximately 433,000 vehicles in North America, including certain 2015 Focus, C-MAX and Escape vehicles, for an issue with the body control module. In these vehicles, it could be possible for the engine to continue to run after turning the ignition key to the "off" position and removing the key, or after pressing the Engine Start/Stop button. This is a compliance issue with FMVSS 114 regarding theft protection and rollaway prevention.

Ford is not aware of any accidents or injuries associated with this issue.

Affected vehicles include certain 2015 Focus vehicles built at Michigan Assembly Plant from June 17, 2014, through June 12, 2015; certain 2015 C-MAX vehicles built at Michigan Assembly Plant from April 22, 2014, through June 12, 2015; and certain 2015 Escape vehicles built at Louisville Assembly Plant from April 1, 2014, through June 12, 2015.

There are 432,096 vehicles in North America, including 374,781 in the United States and federalized territories, 52,180 in Canada and 5,135 in Mexico.

Dealers will update the body control module software at no cost to the customer.

LINK

See less See more
#13 ·
What are the chances that your one vehicle would have all 17........................... very small I would think.

My Explorer has had 2 recalls. The fuel pump one they replaced even though I had no issues with mine. The door handle one I had not had issues, but apparently my sons door handle did have a crack (what a surprise). Both were handled when I took it in for service, so it was a non issue (or would have been had the Ford store not damaged the new fuel pump and returned it too me leaking fuel like a big dog. This is one of the reasons why the Lincoln dealer 100 miles away does my services now. They fixed the door handle without me even remembering the recall).

#16 ·
Would it be possible that Ford planned this, to bring customers back to the dealership? to increase sales and customer goodwill simultaneously?
It sounds obtuse, I admit, but stranger things have happened.
Ford quality over the past decade has been far too high for this to randomly occur now.
Now if this was GM over the past decade, it would probably be haphazard construction.
I don't understand completely, but something is obviously amiss here.

Edit: JPD80 beat me to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.