GM Inside News Forum banner

Ford: Next-generation super-duty truck will be aluminum

5K views 45 replies 28 participants last post by  skylark68 
#1 ·
Alisa Priddle, Detroit Free Press Business Writer

Ford will make its next-generation super-duty pickups of aluminum.

Raj Nair, Ford's head of global product development, made the announcement in a presentation to investors today in Dearborn.

Ford raised eyebrows when it announced the 2015 F-150 light-duty pickup would switch from a steel to aluminum body. That truck will go on sale later this year

Ford has not said what the fuel economy numbers of the F-150 will be, but the truck is 700 pounds lighter than the one it replaces and uses a smaller turbocharged engine.

Ford insists aluminum trucks will continue to offer durability and towing capacity that truck buyers want.

"Lightweighting offers a once-in-a-lifetime chance to conquest," said Jim Farley, head of global sales and marketing.

General Motors has said it will make its next-generation light-duty pickups of aluminum.

Separately, Lincoln will add two new vehicles, Kumar Galhotra, head of Lincoln, said.

Galhotra did not say what they will be called, but they will not be new versions of existing vehicles. He also said the next-generation of the MKX mid-size crossover will launch next year.

Contact Alisa Priddle: 313-222-5394 orapriddle@freepress.com. Follow her on Twitter @AlisaPriddle

http://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...tion-super-duty-truck-will-aluminum/16435193/

See less See more
#5 ·
Yep. One already burned to the ground and the lack of, well, "evidence: confirmed it:
Yet, if we look at this announcement, it seems to confirm that the base F-150 change-over to aluminum is going so well, they will continue to integrate the material on other vehicles.

To a large (think profit) extent, Ford is betting the farm - don't expect anything less than success.

As the article states: This will be a once-in-a lifetime opportunity to conquest sales from GM & Chrysler.

#6 ·
This article doesn't actually confirm the next SD as being an all aluminum body. The exact quote:

Raj Nair, Ford's head of global product development, said its next-generation super-duty pickup will feature an aluminum.

Ford raised eyebrows when it announced the 2015 F-150 light-duty pickup would switch from a steel to aluminum body. That truck will go on sale later this year
The first sentence is incomplete. It will feature an aluminum....what? Were it not for the videos about magnets not sticking to camouflaged prototypes & photos of a burning test truck, this would be a misdirection play.

#9 ·
My biggest question is how well will it work at 5 years, 10 year, and even 15 years old? Will it fall apart or perhaps last longer than steel?

#43 ·
Well it will corrode but it won't rust like steel. A lot depends on how they separate various metals from each other and more particularly how this is done on any repairs to vehicle when it is in use. Planes have been made from aluminium alloys for years but each alloy behaves differently to others. 'Aluminium ocvers a lot of different alloys. The skins of aircraft tend to be 2000 series wing ribs on the 757 were 7075 but Ford are using 6000 series. All will behave differently.

#13 ·
If they are converting the bigger seller, why not convert the smaller seller. The CAFE law now is supposed to incorporate trucks greater than 8501lbs GVW but its based on some kind of complicated metric which incorporates towing and hauling ability (the light truck aka less than 8500lbs gvw does not incorporate any kind of metric or algorithm for towing or hauling).

Decreasing body weight increases the payload/towing all other things being equal.

#23 ·
Are they going to change the cab this time?

#26 · (Edited)
Ford needs an Explorer based replacement for the current MKT, it would cause much rejoicing
with dealers and customers.........A sacrificial burning of the last MKT made?

Speaking of burning, so glad those engineers got out of the F Truck Mule OK but what was not said was that it took considerable time for the mule to burn down, the lack of water in a remote area underscores the need to be aware of fighting fires you can and getting to safety when it's too big to save your vehicle.

Clearly, this mule suffered a severe fuel leak of some kind that allowed heat to build up, I'm glad in a way that this happened now and Ford has the time to process lessons learned and understand the need for ZERO fuel leaks and electrical fires, it is absolutely critical that these two issues be addressed now and not left to recalls after the fact.

It's also shows that testing vehicles in remote locations can turn extremely dangerous in a matter of seconds.

#28 ·
I wish Ford well, but there are problems on the horizon. Lincoln, at this moment is toast. Toyota has been outselling Ford for several months, and the sales projections for September 2014 show Chrysler Group is not far behind. Not everything Ford is touching is turning to gold. I see the use of Aluminum as more of a gimmick than anything; it just happens to be the lightest material for vehicles at the moment. Nano and high-strength steel will be the materials of choice by the end of the decade. It also has yet to be determined if customers are going to accept the change, the accompanying engine portfolio of sub 5.0 litre engines, and the potential for higher insurance costs.

#36 · (Edited)
I see the use of Aluminum as more of a gimmick than anything; it just happens to be the lightest material for vehicles at the moment. Nano and high-strength steel will be the materials of choice by the end of the decade. It also has yet to be determined if customers are going to accept the change, the accompanying engine portfolio of sub 5.0 litre engines, and the potential for higher insurance costs.
I go way back and I remember a lot of "gimmicks" that people would never accept.
1. People will never accept those ugly "rubber" bumpers like they are putting on the GTOs
2. People will never accept overhead cams like they are putting in those 6 cylinder Pontiac Tempests
3. People will never accept aluminum engine blocks or heads. Look at all the Buick Skylarks, Oldsmobile F-85s and Vegas with overheating problems and blown head gaskets
4. People will never accept a 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder engines because they won't climb mountains or get out or their own way.
5. Ford will never sell many full sized trucks with a little V6 engine even if it has a turbo.

When I go back to my youth, I remember my Dad and other people avoiding "gimmicks" such as automatic transmissions, power steering, power brakes, automatic chokes, AC, etc.

A lot of people ride around and never know that their vehicles have aluminum hoods, trucks, etc. and some even have plastic fenders (like some Cadillacs and my Park Avenue).

#46 ·
1. People will never accept those ugly "rubber" bumpers like they are putting on the GTOs

Just had to chime in on this one...

You have to admit that compared to the '65 to '67, those '68s were pretty ugly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.