GM Inside News Forum banner

Ford Names Kumar Galhotra President of Lincoln Division

6K views 61 replies 28 participants last post by  fullsizefan 
#1 ·
Ford Names Kumar Galhotra President of Lincoln Division
The Wall Street Journal
July 22, 2014
by John D. Stoll

Ford Motor Co. appointed a new leader for its Lincoln division as part of an effort by the U.S. auto maker's new chief executive, Mark Fields, to open a "new chapter" for a brand that has long struggled to compete in the luxury automobile business.

Kumar Galhotra has been named to the newly created post of president of Lincoln amid a broader series of executive appointments, Ford said in a news release.

Mr. Galhotra had most recently led engineering for Ford and takes leadership of a Lincoln brand that auto-industry observers have long expected to either be expanded with a more global presence or be discontinued altogether. Ford's Mercury division was discontinued while Mr. Fields, who took Ford's helm from Alan Mulally earlier this month, headed the auto maker's North American operations.

Lincoln, primarily sold in the U.S., has sold 44,544 cars to date, an increase of 16.3% over the first half of 2013. By comparison, Toyota Corp.'s Lexus sold 138,689 vehicles in the U.S. during the first half of 2014; Volkswagen AG VOW3.XE +0.52% 's Audi NSU.XE +1.00% delivered 84,349 cars and trucks in the U.S. during the same period.

Full article available at link.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
While I hope the best for all, we don't know that the new MKX/MKS are "better" yet.

Did he have anything to do with the current MKX/MKS?

I wonder just why Mr. Wolff is no longer at the head of Lincoln.

#3 ·
So in the last week we've seen a new President of Cadillac in de Nysschen (I think that's a new title for the job that Ferguson used to inhabit), and now the revival of the same title at Lincoln. Maybe now we'll see some real money and resources pumped into Lincoln, and finally witness this classic rivalry gain some new life? One can only hope.

#5 · (Edited)
All the Fords versions of Lincoln are so much better, offer much much better value for money.

Shuffling the chairs on the Titanic never stopped it from sinking, a different broom, same ole ship.

Lincoln should be the new Ford value brand, Fords are so much more classy & they don't have that gormless Lincoln grille.

Would love to buy a Lincoln nothing they do appeals to me one little bit, who is the problem?

#12 ·
I don't know anything about running car companies, but when I act like I do, I offer my best advice.

Get whoever was involved with developing the Ford Focus ST, and get them involved with developing a RWD compact sports sedan for Lincoln.

#24 ·
...the guy doesn't seem to have a lot of luxury experience in his background.
Perhaps this adumbrates Ford's intention to continue its past strategy for Lincoln (i.e., not position the marque as a serious contender in the luxury car market).

#19 ·
Lincoln should make an XTS-sized sedan based on retro-styling of the elegant '61 to '64 Lincoln Continental Sedans and engineer it for a four-door convertible, too. They should also offer an elegant luxury Coupe, including a few retro-styling touches, as a Mark IX (continuation of the established "Mark" series started around 1940) and size it like the Mecedes-Benz E350 Coupe--a true "hardtop" would be very cool. Then add a compact luxury sedan, with possibly Coupe or Wagon versions, and then two sizes of SUV--full-sized and BMW X-3 sized. The finest heritage Lincolns are associated with luxury and refinement--get back to those hallmarks of the brand! Stop mimicking the German brands with every decision and be "Lincoln" (getting back to some of their heritage/genetic make-up is something I would also advise the Cadillac brand)--if people want a German performance oriented sedan they will buy the real thing! It couldn't be much worse than what they have accomplished to date, as that course is clearly not working.

#20 ·
Well... We got confirmation on FIN that the new MKS will share a lot of similar proportions with the Jaguar XJ. The XJ looks very elegant and refined, so I think it could be a good direction. British design is a lot different than German design, so I don't think it will look too German.

#21 ·
ClassyEldo said:
Lincoln should make an XTS-sized sedan based on retro-styling of the elegant '61 to '64 Lincoln Continental Sedans...
I believe it'd be quite difficult to SHRINK the Kennedy-Continental's styling down to MKS/XTS-size...

...but
GMI Link - FiN Link - FB Link

#23 · (Edited)
Nobody wants retro, certainly nobody who actually spends money on luxury cars. And more importantly, large flagship luxury sedans are not a growth segment.

Lincoln MKX and MKZ have always been success stories for Lincoln (MKX is $5K more expensive than the SRX btw). This a company not immune to successful products, they just have to make the right ones. They already had MKZ and MKX covered, MKC is a big one and MKS badly needs to be corrected. The MKT successor, presumably next-gen Explorer based, is quite sometime off.

Lincoln has a long way to go, not going to happen overnight.

Not a fan of the updated Navigator, but the Escalade is just as absurd with a column shifter and solid rear axle. Navigator is at least more substantive and capable even if it has the most absurd dashboard in Detroit. In any case, no way would I choose either of them over a Land Rover or Merc G.

#25 ·
Borg said:
Nobody wants retro...

...The MKT successor, presumably next-gen Explorer based, is quite sometime off.

Lincoln has a long way to go, not going to happen overnight....
define the difference netween retro & classic and give 3 examples (no more than 500 words)

recent innuendo at FiN suggests the Aviator(MKTREplacment) may show MUCH sooner than thought

otoh, the pedal may have hit the metal as of today (topic of thread)

#28 ·
If you go to the Lincoln website, it refers to the Lincoln Motor "Company". If you go to the Ford press release, it refers to Lincoln as a "brand."

Now, let me quote the press release:
"Kumar Galhotra . . .is named vice president and president of Lincoln. . . . [president and vice president?]
"This new dedicated position, reporting to Ford President and CEO Mark Fields . . . . [since when does a president report to a president?]

If you go to the Lincoln web site, and click on "contact us," you get a link to contact "Ford Motor Company," not Lincoln Motor Company.

So then I went to the Michigan Secretary of State's web site to search for "Lincoln Motor Company." Turns out, it is an assumed name. In other words, it does not really exist as a corporate entity.

So Lincoln is not a real company, does not have its own vice president, its president reports to another president, and it does not have its own engineers (see the press release for details), platforms or engines.

Good luck with that.

#39 · (Edited)
While I'm plum pleased as punch to see Ford giving Lincoln all this attention I hope this guy isn't on that "German, German, German and more German is the solution to everything trip" that some want for this great brand. The new MKZ is plum gorgeous, and a good example of where Lincoln should go in the future-looks. This is a "looks" brand, always has been. The new MKX is also a looker, and while I think the MKC is not right for the brand, if it brings in cash to fund more big Lincolns, then I'll grit my teeth and accept the critter. I love the current MKS and hope the next one is just as nice. Now I think there has been a BIG mistake in not offering the updated Navi with a V8. That's just plum dumb, and someone needs to reminD Lincoln (as well as Caddy, Chrysler, etc) that running from your heritage ain't a great strategy, especially in the luxury game where heritage/history is EVERYTHING. I also think a new Mark coupe (9) would be an awesome way to let everyone know that Lincoln is BACK but ONLY if it is a REAL Mark, which is a FULL SIZE personal luxury coupe. So Ford, get to stretching that Mustang platform and go to it!

#40 ·
As someone who has been driving a MKZ hybrid for a little over 1 day, I agree. It is a great looking car. While there are a few materials that I would change on the interior, I think the car is pretty damn good the way it is.

I currently own a vehicle that has a lot of the same features that a MKZ has. Yet, it is the features that are not available at any price, on any Ford, that really set the Lincoln apart. Plus, the dealership experience was wonderful, which is a real plus vs the hit and miss nature of mainstream brands.

Lets be a bit realistic here. Part of the ownership experience of a luxury vehicle is not seeing yourself on every single corner. I have been proud driving this car, and I have nice vehicles.

#41 ·
Did a little snooping.

Kumar Galhotra is not just an engineer (Dequindre, seems he apparently did have a hand in the current MKS). He also headed Ford of Asia's product development, and he was picked for (and his key focus will be on) establishing Lincoln's expansion into China. He's spearheaded a number of vehicles that will soon be appearing throughout the other side of the Pacific, and was in the best position to lead Lincoln's growth in the region.

The last time Lincoln had it's own president was back in 2006 (which shows how serious Ford wasn't about Lincoln), and with the growth they are attempting in China, they need a key person to spearhead it. And that's Kumar Galhotra.

Buick is only alive because of China (far more Buicks are sold there than here, and that's where most of Buick's design originates), so it seems that Ford is using the same playbook to keep Lincoln going.

IMHO, you may set aside your dreams of a US Lincoln comeback as a honest Cadillac competitor (let alone German competitor) at this point.

#50 ·
Re: Ford Names Kumar Galhotra President of Lincoln MOTOR COMPANY

Then I'm surprised the Board didn't fire him.

Is it immature of me to be thinking of Kumar going with Harold to White Castle during this whole thread?
Maybe just a little around the edges....

#48 ·
Do you mean the late Harold Poling (aka "Red")?

Anyway, there is a White Castle located about 5 miles west of Ford's Corporate HQ complex in Dearborn, Michigan. So it's not immature. ;)

#59 ·
Good luck to the man.

One or two nice products won't make a dent....look at how long it took Cadillac to get where they are today. Even with some of the finest cars in their respective classes, they still lag in perception and sales to the MB/BMW/Lexus of the world.

Lincoln will be a loooooong term project, for sure. Maybe better that they aim at Buick, and be happy if they achieve that goal.

#60 ·
Buick's ATP's are not in the same hemisphere as Lincoln's. I wish folks would stop with that silliness. Once Buick drops their stranglehold on the plastiwood market, then we can talk.................maybe................ until then................ Haven't those poor trees suffered enough??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.