Ford to beef up engine for F-150

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford to beef up engine for F-150

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 PontiacJ8's Avatar
    Thanks
    Responding to the auto industry’s escalating horsepower wars — including Chrysler’s popular Hemi engine — Ford Motor Co. is developing a larger, more powerful V-8 engine for its top-selling F-150 pickup line.

The engine’s 6.2-liter displacement will dwarf Ford’s biggest V-8 offering — the 300-hp 5.4-liter Triton V-8 — as well as rivals from Chevrolet, Nissan and Dodge, including the 5.7-liter 340-hp Hemi.

Ford declined to comment on the project, but suppliers are already bidding to provide components for the engine, according to documents obtained by The Detroit News.

Ford has not decided where to build the engine known internally as Hurricane.

Despite rising gasoline prices, the Hurricane project is “somewhat overdue,” Global Insight market analyst John Wolkonowicz said.

“In trucks, it’s all about bragging rights,” Wolkonowicz said.

The full-size truck market has become a major battleground for Detroit automakers, with Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge and GMC facing new competition from formidable Toyota Motor Co.p. and Nissan Motor Co. entries.

Demand for the 345-horsepower Hemi has soared since DaimlerChrysler AG’s Chrysler Group revived the legendary engine two years ago.

Full Story HERE

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks
    Originally posted by PontiacJ8@May 27 2004, 04:10 PM
    Responding to the auto industry’s escalating horsepower wars — including Chrysler’s popular Hemi engine — Ford Motor Co. is developing a larger, more powerful V-8 engine for its top-selling F-150 pickup line.

The engine’s 6.2-liter displacement will dwarf Ford’s biggest V-8 offering — the 300-hp 5.4-liter Triton V-8 — as well as rivals from Chevrolet, Nissan and Dodge, including the 5.7-liter 340-hp Hemi.

Ford declined to comment on the project, but suppliers are already bidding to provide components for the engine, according to documents obtained by The Detroit News.

Ford has not decided where to build the engine known internally as Hurricane.

Despite rising gasoline prices, the Hurricane project is “somewhat overdue,” Global Insight market analyst John Wolkonowicz said.

“In trucks, it’s all about bragging rights,” Wolkonowicz said.

The full-size truck market has become a major battleground for Detroit automakers, with Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge and GMC facing new competition from formidable Toyota Motor Co.p. and Nissan Motor Co. entries.

Demand for the 345-horsepower Hemi has soared since DaimlerChrysler AG’s Chrysler Group revived the legendary engine two years ago.

Full Story HERE
    How can they afford this CAFE-wise? Sales of the hybrid Escape are a drop in the bucket compared to the F150, and as Dodge has shown, the everyone will want the big engine. The 5.4L is already a mile-per-gallon behind the Silverado 5.3L, and I doubt they can hold mileage the same with the bigger engine.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    Well, I guess I can't bash Ford too badly. They do need this engine to compete, and what GM should do is up the power ratings in their 6.0 and offer it in their 1500's as an option in all their truck lines and rate the HP rating to around 400 or more to outdue the HEMI. Rumor has it that their will be a more powerful 6.1 liter HEMI coming soon

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    Originally posted by MelvinJ+May 27 2004, 04:40 PM-->
    QUOTE (MelvinJ @ May 27 2004, 04:40 PM)

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Great, we should re-name the article to "The great gas hog war". Who is gonna out pig the other on engine size!

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks
    Originally posted by stewacide@May 27 2004, 05:45 PM
    Economy losses at the truck division will have to be made up for on cars.

The new Futura, remember, will be sold mostly with i4s and will be mated to a 6-speed auto and probably a manual as well. The Five Hundred/Freestyle has the 6-speed and a CVT. These will be much more effecient cars than the Taurus and Crown Vic' they basically replace (even if those cars stick around for a while).

Plus the Escape is just Ford's hybrid trial run (they can only make ~20k a year but could probably sell a couple times that). Things will really heat up with the new Futura and related cars (the bulk of Ford's future car lineup), which were designed for hybrid powertrains from the ground-up.

Plus if they get really desperate they could always swallow Mazda.
    Aren't the car and truck fleet averages calculated separately? Or can you take credits from one and apply them to the other?

I'm not sure how that works.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks
    Originally posted by chadbarb99@May 27 2004, 05:40 PM
    Well, I guess I can't bash Ford too badly. They do need this engine to compete, and what GM should do is up the power ratings in their 6.0 and offer it in their 1500's as an option in all their truck lines and rate the HP rating to around 400 or more to outdue the HEMI. Rumor has it that their will be a more powerful 6.1 liter HEMI coming soon
    They do need it to move their overweight trucks. As for bumping up the 6.0L's power, even though they are both rated at 345 hp, the LQ9 with outpower the hemi currently with no trouble. All they need to do is get it to make that power on regular gas, because I don't think regular truck engines should require higher octane, like Dodge does with the hemi. It's seems OK to require it on something like the SS or an Escalade, but not on a work-a-day truck.

It's hard to see how half-ton pickups need 350 hp to compete, but I don't want to see GM be the weakling on the block, so I agree that the 6.0L needs to become more available across the half-tons.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    Originally posted by stewacide+May 27 2004, 12:45 PM-->
    QUOTE (stewacide @ May 27 2004, 12:45 PM)
    Originally posted by MelvinJ@May 27 2004, 04:40 PM

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    The Freestyle and Futura-based crossovers will be "trucks" will they not?

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My folks have a new F150 with the 5.4. I didn't find it to be underpowered at all. While its no Hemi, I found it to have some decent grunt to it. I think the 5.4 is the perfect match for the F-Series based vehicles, with the 3.73 gears its even better! The 4.6 is underpowered and I often wonder why they don't give it a badly needed upgrade.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    Yah they"meaning GM" should use there 4.8L V8 for car duty and replace it in the trucks with a 5.5L as the base V8 engine with D.O.D. Then offer a 6.5L V8 with and without D.O.D as the opt. one "W/O D.O.D for heavy duty use only" with at least 380HP. ((THAT)) would (KILL) Ford and Dodge! Have the 5.5L version put out like 320HP then use the 4.2L I6 in the base trucks with its 275HP! ((((KILLER))))

Thanks
    My Ride
    BMW K1300S
    I think that GM should bring back the 454 (7.4ltr). With new engineering it would blow the others away on power, and with DOD the milage shouldent be too bad. The 454 would completely own the Hemi, and any Triton.
    "Government at its best is a necessary evil, at its worst it is an intolerable one" - Thomas Paine
    Currenty Ride:
    2012 BMW K1300S
    Previous:
    2009 Volvo C30
    2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LTZ
    2005 Pontiac GTO
    1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 giagastormer's Avatar
    Thanks
    lol, Toyota only has that 240 hp, lol

Thanks
    America surely loves gas! We complain about the gas prices but then we have Suburbans and Excursions, Cayennes and big-Hemi trucks and we are getting gas every 30 mins. What kind of America is this!!!!!
    ---
    Toyota might only have 240 hp but allows you to get the job done without getting as much gas as a Dodge Ram or Chevy Silverado, Ford F-150 included. So 240 hp and good mileage isn't that bad....

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 giagastormer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Originally posted by gmwsag@May 28 2004, 01:12 AM
    America surely loves gas! We complain about the gas prices but then we have Suburbans and Excursions, Cayennes and big-Hemi trucks and we are getting gas every 30 mins. What kind of America is this!!!!!
    ---
    Toyota might only have 240 hp but allows you to get the job done without getting as much gas as a Dodge Ram or Chevy Silverado, Ford F-150 included. So 240 hp and good mileage isn't that bad....
    I am an American, I want the biggest, heaviest, SUV/Truck out there with the biggest engine available and the most horsepower. I dont care if I dont tow a damn thing as long as I have it! Thats what American is all about, horsepower!! Everyone here should be proud they are an American, I sure as hell know I am. I must go now, my Excursion is warming up, with its bigass V10!! Yeee Haaa

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

18. Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information