GM Inside News Forum banner

First Drive: 2016 Jaguar XF

8K views 53 replies 23 participants last post by  member12 
#1 ·
More. Delivered.
MotorTrend
September 3, 2015
By: Angus MacKenzie

Make no mistake, the original Jaguar XF was a genuine breakthrough car. The first Jaguar sedan designed under Ian Callum's direction, it was a clear statement of intent in terms of establishing a fresh, modern design direction for the storied British brand. And it worked. More than 280,000 XFs have been sold worldwide since the car was launched in 2007, and in its last full year of production global sales topped 48,000. It is one of the most successful four-door Jaguars ever.

The launch of the redesigned 2016 Jaguar XF takes the company into new territory. With the smaller Jaguar XE—due to go on sale in the U.S. next May—now positioned as Jaguar's entry-level car, the second-generation XF can be allowed to mature into the sophisticated midsize luxury sedan it needs to be. The brief for the new XF was therefore simple, says vehicle program director Ian Hoban: "Deliver more."

See less See more
#4 ·
Man, just when I thought I had seen enough in the XE thread. :rolleyes:

Jag is in trouble if this is their idea of luxury.

The XE and XF have the worst interiors in class now, never mind the fact that every competitor is going to be replaced within the next 1 - 3 years.

It's going to be a very ugly life cycle for these cars.

#17 ·
It'll do just fine with it's target audience. Got what it needs, nothing it doesn't.

Jaguar will sell every example they can crank out of their factories - because they sell worldwide. Shorter, lighter, more space inside and in the trunk now equal largest in segment (listening, CTS?).

Plus alternate engines (diesel on intro) plus V8 available.......... (GM - queue crickets)

Plus, this month I can walk into a Jaguar dealer and buy one RHD.......... (GM - queue crickets)

And yep, grey is dreary but that's what most US car buyers choose judging by the average US citiscape. You can also get it in multiple colours/woods/metallic (real metal) interior finishes.

Whereas, some makers think piano black complete with smudged crime-scene lifts is a cool look......

And it isn't only British and American reviewers finding a lot to like....

http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/jaguar-xf-first-drive-review-20150816-gj0d3z.html

Meet the 2016 XF sedan: the car Jaguar says is ready to take on Germany's finest at their own game. For real.

The XF lobs in Australian showrooms in December and will be available with a choice of four engines. Expect pricing to start at about $80,000, up slightly on the outgoing model.

Anchoring the range is a new 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo diesel. Making 132kW and 430Nm, the oil burner is the first of the brand's highly efficient Ingenium engine range, and as such sips on a claimed 4.3L/100km (54 USmpg) in normal driving.

On top of its miserly fuel consumption the 2.0-litre belies its small capacity with pleasing progress off the line, and a broad surge of mid-range power which gradually tapers off above 3500rpm. A momentary delay at revs below 1500rpm is partly offset by a brilliant eight-speed automatic transmission which is quick to keep the engine at its sweet spot, with torque peaking from 1750rpm.

Both packages endow the XF with excellent handling characteristics. The vehicle turns in predictably and, despite its obvious size constraints, feels surprisingly light on its feet during quick changes in direction. The electrically-assisted steering is excellent in its feel and weighting, particularly on centre.

A brief track component exposes the XF's kerb weight but still reinforces the sentiment that it is much more mature on the road than before. There is a tendency for understeer and oversteer when really pushed. But even so, a near equal weight distribution creates a great sense of balance that will likely strike a chord with the handful of buyers who don't mind the occasional back road jaunt. There's even torque vectoring technology which brakes the inside wheel through corners to sharpen the vehicle's trajectory.

The XF executes a more accomplished on-road brief while making key progress in cabin appointments and finish. The elegant outside styling transcends the interior, which boasts a much cleaner centre fascia than before, comfortable and supportive seats and premium materials throughout.

Rear passenger space has been improved and will now comfortably cater for two full-sized adults on long drives. An accommodating seatback angle, excellent storage and four-zone climate control with four rear air vents are all welcomed inclusions, as is the standard 540 litre boot housing a space saver spare wheel underneath.

Up front, the standard instrument cluster comprises two analogue readouts separated by a small digital screen that is matched by another eight-inch screen in the centre fascia. The system is functional and easy to read during both night and day driving.

Ultimately, it is the upgraded InControl Touch Pro system – a fully digital 12.3 inch instrument cluster mated to a larger 10.2-inch centre screen – that deserves most praise. It eschews more physical buttons by employing smart phone-like software that allows screens and maps to be pinched and zoomed. The interface houses standard functions including sat-nav, CD and DVD players, a 10GB music hard drive, digital radio, a reversing camera and phone apps including one which allows the driver to start the vehicle remotely.

#22 ·
I think both this and the XE are beautiful on the exterior. The interiors as shown in those images has an almost complete lack of contrasting colors which makes them look boring. I think they'll likely be much nicer in person when the details will be more obvious, and with some contrast in wood/leather colors.

#26 ·
No stop it! Do not speak common sense around here. All XE and XF's will be sold with cold drab black grey interiors! Actually my buddy loves black interiors. He'll go for the black interior every time. I can't stand all black interiors.....Zzzzzzzz!

#31 ·
Looks nice on the outside and inside, I think a different color choice will do it wonders. However, I just went to Jag's website to build an interior, there is no getting away from the overall darkness/greyness of the dash. People complain about Cadillac having a lack of choices, Jag has very few. Maybe they have limited options for launch?

I think it looks nice, but when I looked on their website you can see the 2015 and 2016 next to each other. I don't see much of a difference, like new Porsche 911's, you could park a new one in front of my house and I wouldn't know it is a new model. Is Jaguar in a new rut like they were in from the 1970s-1990s?

#43 ·
The interior looks like something I would expect from an Explorer or other non luxury vehicle. And that silly knob shifter looks like it belongs in a cheap economy car. The exterior styling looks derivative and something from about 5

I just had a loaner Evoque for 3 days and the round shift looks and feels quality regardless of how you feel about it. Personally I'd prefer a regular shifter but from a style stand point it is good enough that others have cribbed that design. BTW it's good enough to be on Range Rovers stickering close to $200,000.

#44 · (Edited)
Noticing the comments on Jaguar's understated dashboard design, I guess more people have turned into Japanese who can only appreciate a car's instruments if there's more instead of less - more curves, more knobs, more buttons.

The less there is to see on the inside, the less distraction. I wouldn't go as far as saying that we need 50's German austerity, but it sure helps to keep your eyes on traffic.

#53 ·
Sorry, but that interior just doesn't look luxurious to me. You can have a clean + modern design but still feel luxurious, that just looks cheap and cold to me.

I actually don't have a problem with the dial shifter at all, its a more elegant solution than the traditional versions, but they didn't need to waste a whole chunk of real estate for it. I mean the slab of wood is nice there, but the proportions look off.

Reactions: mgescuro
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.