GM Inside News Forum banner

First Drive: 2013 Lincoln MKZ 3.7 AWD

15K views 228 replies 52 participants last post by  ausrutherford 
#1 ·
First Drive: 2013 Lincoln MKZ 3.7 AWD
December 19, 2012 / By Donny Nordlicht / Photos by Patrick M Hoey

The split grille on the front of Lincoln's newest car has been described by Max Wolff, the brand's hip new director of design, as an eagle spreading its wings, but we think an association with a phoenix might be more apt. That's because the 2013 Lincoln MKZ is supposed to represent Lincoln's emergence from the ashes of the past as important new player in the future, and this means not only here in the U.S. but more importantly also in China, where serious money is at stake in the country's developing luxury market.

So far, Lincoln's renaissance has been troubled. The link between its premium cars and humble Ford versions of similar vehicles has been too apparent, and the Lincoln examples have not offered the performance or luxury credentials that could help us overlook the resemblances, visual or otherwise.

With the 2013 Lincoln MKZ AWD, there's still some badge engineering going on, yet we think this car shows that Lincoln and Ford might have finally figured out how to spin two very different vehicles from the same parts.

Think Audi and Volkswagen

With the 2013 Lincoln MKZ, Dearborn's top brass hopes to recreate the same sort of relationship between Lincoln and Ford vehicles that we see in Audi and Volkswagen. That is, much is identical under the skin, but the driving and ownership experiences exist on separate planets.

In the past, the Lincoln MKZ and Ford Fusion shared everything except their dashboards and the front and rear bodywork fascias. Now only the powertrains and the basic chassis structure are shared. Both the MKZ and the Fusion feature the same turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-4 engine, which is rated at 240 hp and 270 lb-ft of torque. At the same time, this is just the base engine in the Lincoln, while it's the top of the range in the Ford.

At this point, we think the Lincoln MKZ is a better car than the Lexus ES, which is a big statement from us. It drives better, looks better and offers as much luxury, though the dealership experience is another thing, of course. Yet the midsize market doesn't end with the Lexus ES, as the comparative set includes the Acura TL SH-AWD, Audi A4 and Volvo S60 - three cars that deliver the same prestige, price and package size as the MKZ.

For those looking for something daring, dashing, and different in the midsize luxury segment, the 2013 Lincoln MKZ is a genuine player. And so for Lincoln, the game begins.
CONTINUE AT AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE

PHOTO GALLERY HERE

See less See more
#6 ·
May be a great car, but my God is it ugly.
The new MKZ isn't a great car. Like the 2013 Lexus ES350, MKZ brings nothing noteworthy to its segment.

#11 ·
Glad to see former(current?) GMI member's name in the byline....

MKZ is a good car, but within the bubble of the Lincoln brand. Expand out to the whole Ford line, and why would you get an MKZ over a Fusion? A V6? Okay..
Expand it out to American entry level luxury cars, why would you buy the MKZ over a Regal GS, Lacrosse 3.6, or an ATS 2.0t/3.6?

#12 ·
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Why, indeed.

I suspect styling would likely be the decision point. Some like it, others (like me), not. To each their own, etc.

But I have to say that apart from the optional mega-sunroof (which looks like a big source of warranty work for the long-suffering Lincoln dealer body), and again its design, that would get a happy customer of Lexus/Audi/Mercedes/BMW to look twice. Cadillac may loose some XTS intenders seeing as the MKZ has a similar lay-out but is less expensive. Buick too, if they don't look out, may get cross-shopped because of the MKZ.

#13 · (Edited)
I'm not crazy about it, but good luck Lincoln!

Who is the target market? I'd assume that it is the same as the Lexus ES. But I'm not seeing much to get anyone out of their Lexus and into the Lincoln. My guess is this will continue to sell to the older generations and fail to attract the younger set.

And as far as the Audi/VW comparison, it doesn't work for Ford/Lincoln. The Lincoln still looks like an equal toss-up with the Fusion. Meaning that it looks like the MKZ style could have just as easily been the Fusion and the Fusion style could've been the Lincoln. When I see an Audi it looks upscale to me and the VW looks looks downscale.

#15 · (Edited)
Why doesn't lincoln offer this vehicle with the ecoboost v6 and all wheel drive?

That might give the brand the coolness factor its missing to sell the Eco 4 and the base v6.

The image is not that hard to create within the parts bin,

Slight change of the formal grille and the ecoboost v6 would do the trick. The side view and rear are sweet.

And it would elevate Lincoln past the quite attractive ecoboost 2.0 liter fusion.....

#34 · (Edited)
Why doesn't lincoln offer this vehicle with the ecoboost v6 and all wheel drive?...

...Slight change of the formal grille and the ecoboost v6 would do the trick. The side view and rear are sweet...
Imho, the new 'Nano' ecoboost v6 and all wheel drive will be the top model in a year or so - 375hp?
(with the super tires std naturally
)

Agree about the grille: LINK (+ a few little sheetmetal tweaks)

&
my new pro-Z catch phrase:
"Born from Jaguars"

btw
the article mentions the A4 and S60 as competitors even tho the A6 and S80 are practically the exact same size as the Z
^pet^peeve^

#18 · (Edited)
Damn well, I suspect. But the Lincoln is much larger and more expensive. I don't know if they're directly competitive. I'd be more concerned with LaCrosse sales if I were GM. The MKZ's wheelbase for example is 3/10 th's of an inch longer than the LaCrosse/XTS/New Impala.

#25 ·
Buick needs to get away from slathering their interiors with very obvious plastiwood, to be taken seriously in the luxury game. Their interiors are quite nice, but are ruined with the fake wood. Plus, I'm sure there is some environazi lamenting the number of plastiwood trees being harvested. :)

#26 ·
I opened the gallery, looked at the second row of pictures, and swore I was looking at a 2004 Sunfire.

#27 ·
I am very chuffed to see a good review but I question the thoughts that somehow the cars are divergent inside when the interiors are not utterly divergent in any way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.