GM Inside News Forum banner

​First Drive: 124 Spider - More power, with a grand touring vibe.

3K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  SierraGS 
#1 ·
​2017 Fiat 124 Spider First Drive
More power, with a grand touring vibe.
Jun 10th 2016
Alex Kierstein
AutoBlog.com

If you've been following the protracted birth of this car, you probably know the basics: The 2017 Fiat 124 Spider is a Mazda MX-5 in an Italian-designed suit. It's built in Japan, and it was engineered by Mazda but sports a Fiat engine – shared bones, different philosophies.

A quick Miata aside: When we found out the latest MX-5 had less power than the NC-generation car that came before it, what got shouted down was the fact that it's significantly lighter, and it's also a damn riot to drive. It doesn't need more power, and we reaffirm this belief every time we get in one. I did just that, driving one to the airport to catch a flight to San Diego this week.

With the MX-5's charms freshly in mind, I drove the 124 Spider in both basic Classica and posh Lusso trims on-road, *and briefly sampled the sportier Abarth version at a long autocross-style cone course. What I really wanted to know is how much Fiat character found its way into the latest evolution of the Japanese interpretation of the classic European roadster.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

Image credited to AutoBlog.com

See less See more
#5 ·
Seems like FCA ran out of money or ambition in having this car "FIAT-ized." Nice that it has unique bodywork and motor, but the carry-over Miata interior does not speak Italian to me at all.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad interior at all, but you'd think that FCA would have gone the distance instead of making it an 80% effort.

#6 ·
I think it had more to do with price point, considering they aren't the ones manufacturing it.

I wish the turbo engine had a little more oomph. Otherwise, a good little package.

#7 ·
I'm distrustful of any writer who says a car doesn't need more power and that he'd pick the less powerful car for a day at the track. It's not like Fiat added enough engine to overpower the vehicle. And then complains there is such a big difference based on exhaust note...

Personally, I find it a bit distasteful to so obviously rebadge another manufacturers car. But that said I find the 124 more attractive. Just my 2 cents.

#13 ·
Ugly? yes in YOUR opinion, not a fact.
Over 100lbs? so what, you get more cargo space
Its not "The Same" interior, you get more Luxurious Leather and Sued, Different seats, Door trim. and slightly different dash trim. they also added better Suspension tuning making the 124 a better Driver, Hell Jalopnik say its better than the Miata.

#11 ·
I think Mazda did a really good job with the new Miata, but I really like this too. The extra torque down low would be considerable, I'd definitely have to drive both if I was in the market.

#14 ·
It's the same interior. Yes, the steering wheel is nicer and on higher trim levels they did upgrade the leather but it's really all Mazda.
They also made it understeer more, so it's "better" for n00bs and casual cruisers.

Personally, I don't know which one I'd choose. I wish the Fiat didn't look so bulky. It comes across as if it was intended for a longer wheelbase. The Miata looks too squinty.

#26 ·
When I first saw the Miata, I didn't think it looked great in pictures. However, I think the Miata is a better looking car in person.

In pictures, I think the Fiat looks better than the Miata, in Abarth trim. I'm not a fan of the 'base' trim, but the Abarth looks really really nice to me. I'd take the Fiat over a Miata.

As others have mentioned, the Turbo makes the Fiat pretty easily tuned. A pretty easy ECU tune should be able to bump up the Fiat by 20-30 hp (and TQ) easily, with more to come for those who want to tune on the aggressive side.

#30 ·
It has extra mass to the tune of 100 poinds or so, larger overhangs front and rear, and an iron-block engine. So the weight distribution is probably a bit off, the centre of gravity is likely higher, and the initial turn-in will be a bit lazier. These differences are all on a relatively minor scale of course-but you can count on any comparo between the Fiat and Mazda mentioning them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.