Fiat mulls low-cost brand, Marchionne says

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fiat mulls low-cost brand, Marchionne says

News Contributor
    Thanks

Automotive News
    February 4, 2013
    by Luca Ciferri

TURIN -- Fiat is considering launching a low-cost sub-brand to rival Renault's Dacia, CEO Sergio Marchionne said. If approved, cars for the brand would be built outside of Europe to reduce manufacturing costs.

"We are wondering if there is space for a low-cost brand such as Dacia in the Fiat world," Marchionne said on Sunday in an interview at the Carignano theater in Turin.

Fiat has plenty of spare capacity at its Italian plants but Marchionne said the automaker could not make a profit building a car in its home market that would sell in Europe for 7,450 euros ($10,100). He said Fiat is currently analyzing its manufacturing capacity outside of Europe to see if a low-cost brand is viable.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Canuck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS 3.6DI AWD, 05 Envoy

Re: Fiat mulls low-cost brand, Marchionne says

Plymouth in Europe?

Thanks

how many more ****ing brands is that idiot Sergio going to develop...
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

Thanks

Here we go again.. Cheaper than a FIAT? What would that look like?

Walking
    Thanks

I think that we've reached the point where Marchionne is out of his depth. He's done a great job getting us this far. I think that the company needs a more seasoned marketing person to lead it forward. There is no need fr nay auto company to have more than 3 brands, maybe 4. The only company successfully doing it today is VW. Fiat is well behind them in terms of establishing his brands. He needs to focus on Chrysler /Fiat, Jeep/ALFA, RAM, Maserati. No need for Dodge, lancia or anything else. That's it. Low, mid, high. If they get around to it, they can use Dodge as the low cost brand in developing markets.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

What exactly is the problem with having a high value and low value model with the same brand?

Walking
    Thanks

I don't see why they need Chrysler dodge and FIAT in US? They all target a similar market. They should sell either Chryslers or FIAT, not both. Maybe a niche product like the 500 here and there, but I don't see how he his going to successfully do all three with a full line up or why you would want to do it that way? They are going to waste marketing Resouces chasing the same group?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 DODGE RAM ST RCSB HEMI

Fiat is not a low cost brand? Have you ever seen the original 500 - the 'real' 500 from the sixties? That thing makes a VW Beetle look like a Cadillac.
    Check out my automotive blog http://elvisceralappeal.blogspot.com/

GMI Europe Correspondent Bravada's Avatar
    Thanks

What exactly is the problem with having a high value and low value model with the same brand?
    Go and get yourself a Dacia Quattroporte

Thanks

1. Isn't Fiat as cheap as you can get?
    2. Watch - if it happens, another step of production out of Italy.... how long before headquarters are moved to Auburn Hills?
    Current rides: 2013 Buick Verano, 2011 Dodge Durango.
    Past rides: 2006 GTO, 2005 Vibe (best car I've ever owned), 2006 Odyssey (the worst vehicle I've ever owned), 2005 Envoy, 2002 Wrangler, 2002 S10, 2000 Sierra C1500, 1997 Sierra K1500 (2nd best car I've ever owned), 1996 Stratus, 1996 SW1 Saturn, 1994 Toyota Pickup (4x4 - 2nd worst car I've ever owned), 1992 Dakota, 1988 GMC Suburban, 1987 S10 Blazer, 1985 Scrambler, 1980 Tercel

Walking
    Thanks

They already have too many brands. No need for more. The trend is less brands, not more. Only vW has successfully executed a Multi brand strategy recently. We'll see he long that lasts.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 DODGE RAM ST RCSB HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by GMCHINA View Post
    I think that we've reached the point where Marchionne is out of his depth. He's done a great job getting us this far. I think that the company needs a more seasoned marketing person to lead it forward. There is no need fr nay auto company to have more than 3 brands, maybe 4. The only company successfully doing it today is VW. Fiat is well behind them in terms of establishing his brands. He needs to focus on Chrysler /Fiat, Jeep/ALFA, RAM, Maserati. No need for Dodge, lancia or anything else. That's it. Low, mid, high. If they get around to it, they can use Dodge as the low cost brand in developing markets.
    Dodge is ten times the car that a Fiat is - at least in the US. And Maserati has been a failure in the US. Nobody thinks its really exotic like Ferrari. Killing Dodge - which is far more popular in sales than Chrysler - would be stupid. Not to say Marchionne is not considering it. Creating SRT as a 'division' is exceedingly stupid but it appears they are doing that to strip Dodge of cool and expensive models. People just got accustome to thinking of Dodge as a big and muscular car again - and now Marichinocherry is trying to - no he's not trying - he's actually sabotaging a successful brand in order to push a moribund brand of Chrysler or create a 'brand' out of thin air in the SRT.
    Check out my automotive blog http://elvisceralappeal.blogspot.com/

GMI Europe Correspondent Bravada's Avatar
    Thanks

First off, really, a brand is not just something a car business has to have a fixed number of, depending on a current trend in business. A brand is something that adds value to a car by defining its identity and highlighting and augmenting some of its characteristics, or adding some extra allure to it. E.g. "Porsche" put on an SUV makes it appear sporty, upmarket and exclusive.

The problem with having a multi-brand portfolio is giving each brand an indentity. This way, even regular products can gain extra value and either attract a loyal following who wouldn't buy any other car despite other characteristics (and however deep many profess they are not susceptible to that, experience proves we all are), or simply help make the same product sell at higher price points.

Many "brand stretching" monobrand retailers face a limitation to their pricing and/or market outreach powers. There is nothing really exciting about owning a Toyota, Ford, Hyundai or VW. Even a rather "special" model doesn't feel all that special if its badge can be found on pretty much anything else.

The problem with Fiat is that while they have some of the most powerful brand portfolios around, they seem at a loss trying to define their brands. How is Dodge exactly different from Chrysler or, for that matter, Hyundai, Toyota or Ford? Does anything really bind Lancia products together apart from the dealership floor? Is the Durango still a Dodge or more of a Ram? What makes the Compass a Jeep more than a Dodge? What does the Freemont have in common with the 500?

I do believe low-cost brands do make sense if done right. A properly-done low-cost car is so different from other modern cars it should be kept at arm's lenght to keep both brands' messages clear. But indeed, in many markets Fiat is already in, or close to, that market segment, and even started the whole low-cost-car thing with the whole Uno, and later Palio, derivatives family.

Presently, Sergio seems to try to reposition Fiat to some awkward place using the 500 and 500L, while trying to cover all the traditional bases and more with a product portfolio stretched from the Panda/Uno to the Freemont, with a plethora of market-specific models in between. What Fiat could use first is a good definition of all of the brands in their portfolio, then adjusting the product planning to fit, fulfill and build upon each brand's message, and then look for gaps to fill.

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

I guess Innocenti it is.

He could bring over the new Palio/Siena and the new Uno from Brazil for low cost cars.
    Have sales for GM not seen in THIS POST? Email Me

Go Tigers! BCS Orange Bowl Champs!

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey, hey, hey.....

Let's not be so hard on Sergio. The man deserves some encouragement. I've aways loved Plymouth. Growing up, they were the coolest Mopars - by far.

Sergio my man, don't listen to the negativity. Draw up your proposals for a 'Cuda, Duster and Road Runner and get back to me.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information