GM Inside News Forum banner

Fiat looks to retire 'Fix It Again, Tony' by knocking Honda

4K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  roy219 
#1 · (Edited)
Fiat looks to retire 'Fix It Again, Tony' by knocking Honda
By Chris Bruce
Nov 24th 2014

Ask Americans what Fiat stands for, and the odds are pretty low that you'll hear, "Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino" to be the answer. The more far likely response is "Fix It Again, Tony." The ignominious moniker comes from the brand's stint selling often unreliable models in the US in the '60s and '70s, and it remains in some minds today. However, Fiat thinks the time is right to challenge the old stereotype, and it's doing just that with a new commercial for the forthcoming 500X compact crossover, while taking some shots at Honda, as well.

In the ad, a guy just wants his Civic repaired, but two heavily accented, Italian mechanics berate his Honda for not being sexy. The boss of the shop eventually promises, "We fix it," and the customer goes inside to enjoy an espresso. At no point is the infamous, "Fix it again, Tony," ever actually uttered, but it's strongly suggested with a sign for Tony's Fix It Shop prominently displayed in several shots.

CONTINUE AT AUTOBLOG.COM

VIDEO:

See less See more
#2 ·
Funny.

I give them credit for taking something that was originally supposed to deride them and poke fun at it.

As for the car itself, it looks great and is about as different as you can get from the Renegade. You'd never think they shared most of their essential bits and should appeal to very different customers.

#5 ·
Some can execute, some can't.

Man, that was an awesome commercial!

Why can't we get anything close to that from GM?
Because GM Marketing is pathologically incompetent?

#20 ·
I know someone who has had a Fiat 500 for about 2 years so far -- trouble free, thus far. I suspect the new Fiats are
more reliable than Fords with EcoBoost powertrains..... Ecoboost Fords are truly awful, lots of engine problems /
transmission issues / fuel pump problems.

#24 ·
That was...daring. It is also something most GM commercials absolutely lack. "Poolside" was daring in its own way, and actually funny if taken as farce, which I admit I didn't when it came out. At the time, it reminded me as much of America's failures as its successes. But this was a amusing way to tell the truth about Hondas in general and the Civic in particular.

#26 · (Edited)
I look forward to the long term daily driver reports on the new alfa 4c...

Fiats idea of validation testing pales in comparison to what the American brands implement....specifically gm and it's 300000 validation testing...

(Edit) Jedda....cool dad!

Fun sexy appealing Italian toys trumps honda boring ....but can be a pain long term....

Just depends if you have room in your life for a car as a mistress or just an appliance...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.