GM Inside News Forum banner

Fiat 124 Spider and Abarth to be distinct versions

3K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  69gtsdart 
#1 ·
Fiat 124 Spider and Abarth to be distinct versions
New Fiat 124 Spider and the hot Abarth version will be clearly defined and different models, say sources
by Mark Tisshaw
3 September 2015

The Fiat 124 Spider and its Abarth offshoot will be much further apart than first thought, senior company sources have revealed.

The new Mazda MX-5-based sports cars, which are due in 2016, were among 30 Fiat Chrysler Automobiles products shown at a global dealer conference in Las Vegas last week.

While it was known that the 124 Spider would spawn an Abarth version, as with other Fiats in the range, what has become clear is just how different the pair will be.

Rather than the Abarth getting the usual performance makeover of more aggressive front and rear ends, the sports car will actually get different sheet metal to the donor car for a completely different look.

Previous artist’s impressions of the 124 Spider are also understood to have been very wide of the mark. There will be no 500 references in the 124 Spider; instead it will be unashamedly a modern version of the 124 Spider with associated styling cues, in the same way the new 500 is a modern version of the original.

CONTINUE AT AUTOCAR.CO.UK

See less See more
#5 ·
The New MX-5 is a very good car, understand why Fiat want to over power it for those wanting a more thrilling ride - albeit living more dangerously.
I just find it amusing we have to pay extra for RWD car over FWD with a few improved bits.

One would think with all the manufacturing advances the MX-5 would still be priced cheaper than it is.
Wonder where Fiat is going with it's pricing and how they will depreciate compared to the Mazda ?

PS
I'm waiting for a Folding hard top version, I do not like cloth tops at high speeds....... so we wait.

#11 ·
I hope either the 124 or the Abarth spawn a coupe.
It would differentiate from the MX5 and besides.... I've always loved the 124 Sports.

#21 ·
Fiat dealers need more vehicles go sell....and this wasn't too big of an investment given the donor Miata chassis and power plant from the FCA family. I'm confident Sergio would've killed it if the numbers didn't pencil out. His track record suggests he won't hesitate to kill projects that aren't profitable.

#32 ·
I ve read that in Europe at least the abarth gets 10 extra hp to a whopping 170 hp.

The dct is a cool option...but the power levels in the USA should be closer to 230 ho for America....

Jmo

#41 ·
why would you think 230? that would cost more than a mid trim BMW Z4,

160 is fine for US. The US would be the area where you'll find more Modified 124's that would be Tracked much like youll find Miata's doing.

170hp is fine for EU would you probably wouldn't expect many modified 124's

#34 ·
Hopefully the American version gets more power but truth be told fiat as a brand is failing in America and has since its inception.

It was a fools errand to try and sell Americans fiats at all..

Should have been sporty abarths, alias and maseratis in one dealer showroom.

The pedestrian versions were always going to fail here under the fiat brand name,.,

Fiat means junk in America and now associated it with fiat just ruins the abarth nameplate...

Fiats been giving away their products in America and they are losing their shirts doing it.

Rebadged fiats like the Dodge Dart were slightly reworked and still failed miserably here.

Fiat should regroup Italian models to what would have succeeded in the first place...

Abarth, Alfa and Maserati distribution...

That would have possibly worked...

Chrysler should just be the minivan...dodge the charger and challenger and Durango...and jeep with its expanded lineup..

Maybe I missed some product but for the most part this should be the lineup

#35 ·
They confirmed the American version to be 160hp. And to be fair, the Dodge Dart isn't a rebadged Fiat. It's just based off the CUSW platform, same as the very successful Jeep Cherokee. I do agree that it would've been wise just to just group Maserati, Alfa, and Abarth into one dealership and call it a day.

#36 · (Edited)
The dart was the 40 mpg vehicle for dodge that allowed fiat to get Chrysler, dodge and jeep for just about nothing from the American government. It was built using fiat components and was not really suited to American desires. It was the US government mandating fuel efficiency and we can see how well that dart sold.

As far as the Abarth having only 160 hp.....in my opinion the vehicle will be a dud in the American marketplace. A slight odditity with some degree of style ...

FCA had the opportunity to build the abarth brand and took the cheap way out.

How FCA couldn't pony up for over 200 hp in this day and age is in my opinion ridiculous and a waste of time ...

Even 237 hp would have been light for the launch of a performance brand in America.

Another blown opportunity by FCA...

Glad they have jeep to prop them up through their various errors.

So far it's jeep and hellcat and maybe the nice Pacifica...

#40 ·
FCA is addressing its deficiencies.

All the long deferred brands are receiving new models,including Fiat, Maserati, Alfa. The Aegea/Tipo are being well received. New models are being introduced in the EMEA and LATAM after a decade of deferrals while American/Nafta,models were being replaced. Some like the Ram, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Renegade have been unqualified successes. Others like Dart and C200 have achieved some fine technical reviews, but lesser market success. There are no longer un-competitive laughing stock, not fully developed, or not fully debugged models.

The factories, every one save the relatively modern, Canadian one which builds the LXs, have been modernized unlike the decaying "deferred maintenance" situation when Fiat SPA appeared. Debt is down too. North American market share has returned to classical levels, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.