FCA shifts course, will make Jeep Grand Wagoneer body-on-frame

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FCA shifts course, will make Jeep Grand Wagoneer body-on-frame

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 664 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Larry P. Vellequette
    January 9, 2017 @ 1:30 pm
    autonews.come

DETROIT -- Fiat Chrysler has dramatically altered its product course and will now bring its new Jeep Grand Wagoneer back to life as a body-on-frame SUV, after nearly two years of claiming that it would be unibody like almost all other luxury nameplates.

In comments to reporters at the Detroit auto show, FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne confirmed Monday that the company now plans to build both a Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer as body-on-frame vehicles. The new SUVs will be built at a retooled Warren Truck Assembly plant in suburban Detroit, which now builds the current-generation Ram 1500.

The abrupt switch in product plans is likely to mean that the automaker’s dream of a $140,000 Grand Wagoneer to compete against the Range Rover, as laid out in November by Jeep brand boss Mike Manley, won’t happen.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

CJH (01-09-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 6,704 Times in 4,726 Posts

Re: FCA shifts course, will make Jeep Grand Wagoneer body-on-frame

If this still means they plan on a $140,000 Grand Wagoneer, I'm going to laugh when Jeep does a more expensive SUV than the Escalade.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

CJH (01-09-2017)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 664 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Seems to make the most sense from a "bang for your buck" perspective. FCA will reap fatter margins and more profit from such a move (which can only help them get out from under a mountain of debt). It also might make the most sense in light of juggling production at different plants (and realizing that some plants can't be expanded upon due to restrictions in their footprint, etc).

However, I can't help but feel that they may have missed an opportunity here.

FCA does a great job with the Ram 1500, and there's no doubt that the IRS they developed for the 1500 can help "civilize" any product derived from that platform. That can be a great foundation to build on, but can they make it "Jeep-enough" for such a large vehicle? And assuming they can (and I think they will), the next question that comes to mind is, will it be "luxurious enough" for the price point they are looking at? By that, what I mean is: Will it be more of an "off road focused vehicle" (in which case, who cares if it's BOF), or will it be more of an aspirational/luxury car (in which case, perhaps BOF isn't the best solution)?

Granted, the Escalade is BOF and has a huge following. But they aren't charging $100K+ on the average Escalade and it's rumored that the "Grand Wagoneer" will be well north of the $100,000 mark.
    Last edited by nadepalma; 01-09-2017 at 01:07 PM.
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ambalanche's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

So do they have a new platform to build it on or are they going to go the GM route and drop it on the ram chassis?

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 975 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

More FCA pipe dreams.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

JimmyDiablo (01-10-2017)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC American007's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Jeep WJ

The Wagoneer will not the Range Rover fighter they once claimed it to be. It will be a Suburban (et all) competitor.

And for those questioning the off road chops do not forget that the Power Wagon does extremely well off-road.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to American007 For This Useful Post:

RedSkyBlackDream (01-11-2017)

CJH
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar CJH's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Audi A6 4.2, QX80

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    DETROIT -- Fiat Chrysler has dramatically altered its product course and will now bring its new Jeep Grand Wagoneer back to life as a body-on-frame SUV, after nearly two years of claiming that it would be unibody like almost all other luxury nameplates.
    Ummmm what??? GL and RR are a "toughened" uni-body, but the rest aren't. Escalade, Navigator, QX, LX are all BOF.

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    If this still means they plan on a $140,000 Grand Wagoneer, I'm going to laugh when Jeep does a more expensive SUV than the Escalade.
    We both know there should already be a V-sport and a true Platinum/Excutive that should have cracked the $100k demarcation line. Once again a missed opportunity in a hot market by GM/Caddy. Good on Jeep, even if its Pie in the sky to a certain extent. Although a Hellcat Grand Wagoneer I could see hitting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambalanche View Post
    So do they have a new platform to build it on or are they going to go the GM route and drop it on the ram chassis?
    Probably the New/Revised Chassis that will debut next year (2018) with the new RAM.

Seems to make the most sense from a "bang for your buck" perspective. FCA will reap fatter margins and more profit from such a move (which can only help them get out from under a mountain of debt). It also might make the most sense in light of juggling production at different plants (and realizing that some plants can't be expanded upon due to restrictions in their footprint, etc).

FCA does a great job with the Ram 1500, and there's no doubt that the IRS they developed for the 1500 can help "civilize" any product derived from that platform. That can be a great foundation to build on, but can they make it "Jeep-enough" for such a large vehicle? And assuming they can (and I think they will), the next question that comes to mind is, will it be "luxurious enough" for the price point they are looking at? By that, what I mean is: Will it be more of an "off road focused vehicle" (in which case, who cares if it's BOF), or will it be more of an aspirational/luxury car (in which case, perhaps BOF isn't the best solution)?

Granted, the Escalade is BOF and has a huge following. But they aren't charging $100K+ on the average Escalade and it's rumored that the "Grand Wagoneer" will be well north of the $100,000 mark.
    Obviously they are going the GM route and utilizing the corporate PU/SUV platform. The IRS/Air Suspension is already best in class, so that is a great starting point. It should be able to offer good on road manners while allowing it to be fairly off road worthy, but not the best rock crawler. Obviously the offroad/luxury tradeoff hasn't hurt RR at all, they can't build them fast enough, so it can be done. Can they execute is the bigger question.
    Past Rides:
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CJH For This Useful Post:

RedSkyBlackDream (01-11-2017)

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 johnny smallblock's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1972 Cutlass Supreme

I've wondered for years why Dodge didn't offer a Suburban competitor based on the Ram. Let's face it, it looks pretty bitchin' and lord knows turning a truck into an SUV isn't rocket science. Years ago Sergio Marchionne said his biggest regret was not making the Durango a Jeep. Looks like he's finally got his chance, even if this isn't the cleanest fit with Jeep.
    Current Hidden Content
    2013 Chevy Spark
    2010 Honda Odyssey
    1972 Cutlass Supreme

R.I.P. Hidden Content
    2006 Ford Escape Hybrid (given to my brother)
    1999 Honda Elite (stolen)
    1996 Caprice LT1 (donated when gas hit $4)
    1996 Honda Elite (wrecked in a wipeout)
    1995 Honda Civic (T-boned by a police car)
    1986 Plymouth Colt Vista (died)
    1978 Chevy Mailbu (sold)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to johnny smallblock For This Useful Post:

CJH (01-09-2017)

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    FCA's game plan is typically the "cheaper than the competition" option. I'm sure they'll attempt to undercut the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,636 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

I knew this is coming. FCA is cash poor right now.

Thanks

The business plan of taking any Jeep product to a $140K level is a dubious one.

Chrysler has always sought to undercut the competition with a cheap unibody approach; aiming for a $140K price point is lunacy.

But a large BOF Jeep product could be very lucrative.

Vintage Wagoneers and Power Wagons were kick ass, this could be something.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carbide For This Useful Post:

CJH (01-09-2017),The Handler (01-10-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    Obviously they are going the GM route and utilizing the corporate PU/SUV platform. The IRS/Air Suspension is already best in class, so that is a great starting point. It should be able to offer good on road manners while allowing it to be fairly off road worthy, but not the best rock crawler. Obviously the offroad/luxury tradeoff hasn't hurt RR at all, they can't build them fast enough, so it can be done. Can they execute is the bigger question.
    I think they can execute it but they big question is how? Will the V6 VM diesel engine will be available for the Grand Wagoneer as well?

On a sidenote off-topic, would be nice to see a new body-on-frame car but it's a pipe-dream...

CJH
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar CJH's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Audi A6 4.2, QX80

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphane Dumas View Post
    I think they can execute it but they big question is how? Will the V6 VM diesel engine will be available for the Grand Wagoneer as well?

On a sidenote off-topic, would be nice to see a new body-on-frame car but it's a pipe-dream...
    I have not doubts the diesel v6 will be available if nothing more than to offset CAFE. It will probably have than and an updated Hemi or a turbo'd Pentastar would be my guess.

Yeah, the ship has sailed on the days of the BOF car.
    Past Rides:
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,026 Posts

Good Points.

The RAM 1500 rides well with the air suspension and the Power Wagon allows all of the Off-Road potential a larger Grand Wagoneer will need for 95% of potential buyers.

Overall, think it is a smart move.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to SierraGS For This Useful Post:

The Handler (01-10-2017)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

yall fail to realize this was the plan all along.... about 3 years ago when talks of a New Wagoneer came about, they said it would have a 6.4L Hemi Ram uses as a Regular Option.. Ram's 6.4l is NOT a SRT Hemi (see Powerwagon), its built for Towing which a BOF Utility is also used for. Then recently those Frontal Spyshots of what looks like a plan to be HUGE body Wagoneer sitting next to a current Grand Cherokee which by comparison is Tiny next to the Wagoneer.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to 69gtsdart For This Useful Post:

The Handler (01-10-2017)

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information