GM Inside News Forum banner

FCA keen for Lancia Delta Integrale return?

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  MonaroSS 
#1 ·
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles keen for Lancia Delta Integrale return
Iconic Lancia Delta Integrale is being championed for a comeback by senior staff within Fiat Chrysler
by Hilton Holloway
2 July 2015

A number of senior Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) executives are pushing for an all-new Lancia Delta Integrale to be commissioned before the brand is completely wound down.

Sources at FCA say representations are being made at the highest levels to reinvent one of the company’s most evocative and highly regarded models. However, there is no suggestion that another attempt should be made to rebuild Lancia as a full-line brand in its own right.

In an industry that increasingly successfully trades on prestige and history, many FCA executives believe it would be a big mistake to allow the Lancia badge to be wound up when the Delta Integrale brand still holds so much cachet.

However, FCA boss Sergio Marchionne takes a very unsentimental view of the near-defunct Lancia brand and is much more interested in a successful relaunch of Alfa Romeo. He is likely to see even a single new Lancia model as an unnecessary distraction.

CONTINUE AT AUTOCAR.CO.UK

See less See more
Reactions: 2b2
#2 · (Edited)
I checked the date. It's too late for April Fools Day.

This is HIGHLY unlikely to happen. But, for the love of God, if there's some grain of truth to this story, then I hope it becomes a reality.

I've complained forever that Lancia has been an abused brand and woefully underutilized. Since Alfa become part of Fiat S.p.A. in the mid 1980s, the brand has taken a back seat to it's sexier (though arguably, less-deserving?) corporate cousin. Maybe this is a way to continue to use the brand but do so in a limited manner?

In my opinion, the resurrection of Abarth as a standalone brand was a mistake. It should have remained a trim-level since most historical Abarths were updated/revised versions of Fiat products when Abarth was still an independent company (much like how John Cooper Works was to Mini). If Abarth can currently "exist" with a range of sup'ed up Fiats, then I can only imagine that Lancia could exist selling a limited portfolio of bespoke looking, harder-edged niche products based off of existing platforms and powertrains.

In that regard, just as Alfa Romeo is now chasing the Big 3 German luxury marques, Lancia could be left to focus on a smaller, more defined niche of sporting cars that could compete with Ford's RS line, Subaru's STi range, Renault's resurrected Alpine brand, etc.

Of course, this is all a pipe dream unless Sergio signs off on it. Like the article says, he's not a fan of the brand. However, SM won't be around forever. Just as Alan Mulally pushed to kill Lincoln before Mark Fields reallocated production dollars and resources to revive the brand, perhaps the same can be done with Lancia. What's more, to build a business case for the brand's resurrection, the stand alone product (or limited range of products) could be sold globally at Fiat/Alfa Romeo stores. This would be akin to how the 8C Competizione at Maserati dealers in the US before a full-fledged relaunch of the brand was announced.

There's no doubt that, for the next few years, the lion's share of FCA's global resources are focused on Jeep, Alfa, and Maserati (with strong "regional resources" allocated to Ram, and the Indian/Chinese markets). Still, before the Ypsilon dies (there's supposed to be a refresh coming soon as a last hurrah for the brand), perhaps there's still a chance that a business plan can be made for the famed marque.

#9 · (Edited)
The last Delta which was recently discontinued was out of character. It became a big bloated semi-retro styled minivan-looking hatchback with a vintage 40s/50s style Lancia grill.

The Lancia Delta Integrale looked amazing.

...and the standard Delta it was based on was a nice clean design to begin with, one of my favorite 1980s designs (it was actually unveiled at the 1979 Frankfurt Motor Show).

1980 Lancia Delta

#11 ·
They should sell them to TaTa to put in the Jag and Land Rover group.

TaTa has the money to do a revival of Lancia the right way.

And Lancia was always a more light weight and innovative form of luxury at the high end - which today could be hybrids and electric.

At the lower end a modern day Integrale on the Evoque's platform could be to JLR what Mini is to BMW.

;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.